Go ad-free and more by becoming a Canon Rumors PRO.

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I find it even funnier because the U serves no actual phonetic purpose, it's just gratuitous padding. And the Brits aren't consistent about it either, since horror isn't spelled horrour.
And Americans use the spelling "glamour" as standard four times out of five - and not "for" times.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
And Americans use the spelling "glamour" as standard four times out of five - and not "for" times.

I didn't claim we were consistent. English spelling (or American spelling) is a train wreck. Imagine a language where a spelling bee would be pointless. Whatever that language is, it's not descended from anything spoken by the Angles and the Saxons.

"Glamour" is ironically appropriate since it describes hoity toity-ness anyway. I place it on the level of "ye olde shoppe." But, as I said American spelling is a train wreck too.

And at least four/for makes a distinction between two different words. What word would "rumour" be confused with if it were spelled "rumor"?

I guess we have to keep the u in hour too for the same reason. :D (Kidding aside, that "ou" actually makes a difference in sound.)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I don't like the dynamics of money flow for lifetime. The site needs some periodically paying subscribers, otherwise the whole ad-free scheme would be unsustainable in the long run, unless there are other ways of monetize that subscriber base.
The lifetime memberships are available just until the end of the month, I assume for that reason.

Upvote 0
I reckon you've gone too low with the lifetime plans.
tbh I'm not sure they're a good idea at all, there's a case study somewhere of American airlines giving away lifetime passes for what seemed like a ridiculous sum, but it ended up costing them a lot of money.

I can see you having problems in a few year's time with those lifetime memberships if you're both offering an ad-free experience for those people and a gift of some sort every year!

Just my 2c

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I don't expect to see a lot of newcomers interested for the lifetime membership (or for any paid membership at all) at this site.
What, are you telling us the Sony trolls are not interested in paying money for the privilege to invade the otherwise presumably rational premium-only forum sections? :LOL: I'm sure Sony can toss them a coin to assert their dominance ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
A neighbor is originally from eastern NC, did his graduate degrees and post doc work in various parts of the country, and then taught ar the University of Calgary for some years. His kids grew up playing hockey and spelling things that way. He moved back to NC to chair the biology department here. He still says “zed.”

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I reckon you've gone too low with the lifetime plans.
tbh I'm not sure they're a good idea at all, there's a case study somewhere of American airlines giving away lifetime passes for what seemed like a ridiculous sum, but it ended up costing them a lot of money.
The cost of an extra pair of eyeballs viewing an ad free web site is hardly comparable to the cost of airline tickets. There are many things to consider in cost vs. benefit comparisons. There is some value in rewarding and keeping around a base among the most active posters. Money now is considered more valuable than money in the future, as per “time value of money” and NPV calculations. Etc. CR probably calculated these values differently from you,

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
What, are you telling us the Sony trolls are not interested in paying money for the privilege to invade the otherwise presumably rational premium-only forum sections? :LOL: I'm sure Sony can toss them a coin to assert their dominance ;)
I'm not sure exactly why, but this makes me think that...

I would give Harry a free pass. Otherwise his helicopter might be too expensive for him to maintain. It would be a pity to miss his posts in those premium-only forum sections.

• Haha
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I'm sad that so many regulars here lose interest in a lens or body the moment controversy fades away.

This can be seen in how few "how to" threads we have now, and how few posts in lens galleries. I'm guilty too! Just kind of reluctant to post images...Don't want to much public info out there about my gear, my kids, clients...

Sad.

And lighting threads die very quickly.

Just thinking out-loud about the state of photo forums, I guess, CR in particular.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I'm not sure exactly why, but this makes me think that...

I would give Harry a free pass. Otherwise his helicopter might be too expensive for him to maintain. It would be a pity to miss his posts in those premium-only forum sections.
Oh no I disagree! He should pay something (or see the ads) for so much BS he tried to pass on us! :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I'm sad that so many regulars here lose interest in a lens or body the moment controversy fades away.

This can be seen in how few "how to" threads we have now, and how few posts in lens galleries. I'm guilty too! Just kind of reluctant to post images...Don't want to much public info out there about my gear, my kids, clients...

Sad.

And lighting threads die very quickly.

Just thinking out-loud about the state of photo forums, I guess, CR in particular.
It is a rumors board after all. I would probably have never come here if I hadn’t decided to wait for the 6D2 rather than getting an 80D, and so was interested in rumors about it and it’s arrival on the market.

I have given and received photo advice here, and I’ve posted a few pictures along, mainly to illustrate a topic under discussion. And I’m not in the market for anything that I know of, but I’m sticking around with a lifetime membership.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I didn't claim we were consistent. English spelling (or American spelling) is a train wreck. Imagine a language where a spelling bee would be pointless. Whatever that language is, it's not descended from anything spoken by the Angles and the Saxons.

"Glamour" is ironically appropriate since it describes hoity toity-ness anyway. I place it on the level of "ye olde shoppe." But, as I said American spelling is a train wreck too.

And at least four/for makes a distinction between two different words. What word would "rumour" be confused with if it were spelled "rumor"?

I guess we have to keep the u in hour too for the same reason. :D (Kidding aside, that "ou" actually makes a difference in sound.)
Unless all of you are vampires, I'm not certain this lot knows much about glamor/glamour no matter how you slice it. Now, if there are right pond, left pond versions of 'photons' 'codec' and 'pixel well' then sure, your treatises on etymology are acepted, forgiven and blessed.
For me, spelling, grammar and context are right up there with CID posts. People with egos spilling over the razor's edge. Read more Eckhart Tolle.

Upvote 0