Interview: Canon addresses overheating concerns, workarounds and the Cripple Hammer

Dec 25, 2017
I wish he'd asked why the 29'59" record limit is still in place!
Because its a custom regulation in europe and other countries. "video" cameras get an extra Tax which is substantial. Most photographers dont want to pay 20% for a camera, just for a feature that 98% of people never miss. Thats why nearly all dslr/dslm cameras are limited to 29:59
He would have made a fool of himself if he actualy ask such a basic question to a canon exec.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Totally agree with you. Micro HDMI sucks very VERY much! Its so fragile, it can break so easily i am always afraid. Also because of the signal of course. About viewfinder....for me no big deal I use Atomos all the time...but yeah...However is understandable. The only downside of the camera is the overheating issue and now is much better!

Camera is huge! Image quality in stills and video....I am loving it!
Ha jeah. I even tend to not use the R5 for some studio work, just because I want to protect that sill micro-hdmi port xD its like having a car with a super delicate steering wheel that you dont want to touch because it may break and cost 40% of the car xD

Jeah, the viewfinder from the S1H is beeeautiful. Its realy a joy to use. The R5 viewfinder is very small compared to that. I understand that it makes the camera less bulky - but in my opinion it would be a problem if it was half an inch bigger.

Jeah, I am also happy. The images are just beautiful, even without any editing :)

Upvote 0
Because its a custom regulation in europe and other countries. "video" cameras get an extra Tax which is substantial. Most photographers dont want to pay 20% for a camera, just for a feature that 98% of people never miss. Thats why nearly all dslr/dslm cameras are limited to 29:59
He would have made a fool of himself if he actualy ask such a basic question to a canon exec.
I think he's leaning into the suggestion that the EU rule was removed in 2019 and therefore there should be no 30 min limitation now, according to a few sites. I've seen the suggestion that the rule was removed, but I haven't actually taken a look at import tariffs in the EU yet to see if it actually happened, or checked to see if other major importers outside the EU don't have an equivalent rule.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
The idea of a hybrid camera is stupid in the first place. It's like sitting on two chairs. Merging a Ferrari and Rolls Royce may sound great and cheaper in theory, but in real life it's going to fail and cost way more. The R5 is the proof: best photo camera currently on the market, and a terrible video one.
And now, instead of paying one price to get double, we have to pay double to get one. Let it be a lesson to everyone: cheap is expensive; expensive is cheap!
Hm depends. The thing is, you need backup. I do commercial photoshoots and wedding photoshoots but also product videos and some commercial films.
So I would need 2-3 camera bodies AND 2-3 video cameras. (given that I need 2 cameras on weddings + backup or 2 cameras for an interview or event documentation + backup).

3x 5D IV and 3x C200 would be a pretty big cost factor. Now I can to the same work with just 3x R5 bodies, which work excellent in both areas. If you use an Atomos Ninja V its a very reliable video tool with excelent image quality and AF with recording limits.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I think he's leaning into the suggestion that the EU rule was removed in 2019 and therefore there should be no 30 min limitation now, according to a few sites. I've seen the suggestion that the rule was removed, but I haven't actually taken a look at import tariffs in the EU yet to see if it actually happened, or checked to see if other major importers outside the EU don't have an equivalent rule.
What? realy? never heard of that. In that case I apologize.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]
- USB-C Charging is not working while camera is on and wont work on most power outlets (weird, looks like it needs a very specific voltage?)
[..]

It should work on anything that supports Power Delivery, so look for 'USB-PD' markings on the charger. There are a few reports out there that PD can partially power the R5 and R6 while running, but it will still use a bit of the battery.
My R5 still haven't shipped, so I haven't verified that myself.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
The idea of a hybrid camera is stupid in the first place. It's like sitting on two chairs. Merging a Ferrari and Rolls Royce may sound great and cheaper in theory, but in real life it's going to fail and cost way more. The R5 is the proof: best photo camera currently on the market, and a terrible video one.
And now, instead of paying one price to get double, we have to pay double to get one. Let it be a lesson to everyone: cheap is expensive; expensive is cheap!
Depends on your needs.

Someone might want to own both a Malibu and a Suburban, while I'm fine with just one Forester.

Upvote 0

I wish canon would stop “anticipating” what [I] want and actually listen to what [I] want

If the US did not anticipate, the F-22 and F-35 would not have been made. If Sony did not anticipate, the Walkman would never have been made. If Canon did not anticipate, the 5D would not have been made.

And I fixed it for you ;)

Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
This camera is state of the art - it does as much as can be done given the size limitations, weather sealing, and the state of progress in chip/sensor design.

Next generation electronics will be more efficient, will be able to perform with less heat, will operate more energy-efficiently, but this is the best that can be done given the price/size/technology constraints as they now exist.

Roger's temperature testing show that they've pretty much allowed the body to get about as warm as they legitimately can.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Okay, maybe i am a bit bold here but i can count to three and still don´t understand why it is possible to deactivate thermal protection through setting a different date, and not through cooling?
Any Ideas on that?

I'll give it a shot. My guess is...

Canon can and probably does know how much heat the CPU generates for each specific operation (stills shooting, 8K video recording) by testing the electronics without the body in a lab. With this knowledge, their programmers probably felt that that using the operation and time was a better way of determining shut down than continually reading the temperature(s).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020
Yep, Roger's latest temp tests show that the camera really does get hot and also that it cools slowly. Canon may be a bit conservative re the "low temperature burns" issue, but suggesting that the camera is intentionally crippled is just BS. An aluminum vs. magnesium frame would be a bit heavier and would allow the camera to cool more quickly, but would also heat the exterior more quickly and potentially lower the record time if external temperature is the primary concern and from this interview it seems that is the case.

One approach would be to enhance the grip panels to insulate more to protect skin, and let the other areas (top and bottom plate) be exposed metal for better heat shedding.

I'd bet its the right thumb on the back that is the most likely burn victim. Easy to solve with a more insulating grip material.

Upvote 0

adigoks

EOS 750D
Jul 12, 2020
I am working with the EOS R5 now since the 30th July. The camera is just amazing! For stills I am chocked with the performance of the sensor, it delivers such pleasant and detailed photos! For me it´s the best camera camera in the market!

For video, I must confess that the first use was a chock! I got overheating pretty soon in a hot day when I was shooting stills first and then video. The main problem is not the record times it´s that the camera is always loosing record time when in use, even if you are not recording. But I record in Atomos externally so the only big deal was in 4k120fps. After the firmware upgrade i am getting much better results and after that I didn´t had overheating anymore. Also the days are now colder in my country so tht may help either.... Last week I was filming vultures in a project and I was using 4k60fps recorded in atomos and 4k120fps internally in card. I filled the card and continued recording in atomos. I also made some photos. No overheating. So I guess camera did improve and if you use the atomos you will probably don´t have issues at all.

So far....I am in love with this camera!!!

If you want to check the vídeo, recorded with 4k100fps and 4k50fps in C-log, neutral, with just a bit grading. I used Canon Lut for the 4k100fps but for some reason the lut doesn´t work good with prores files that came from the atomos so I had to match them by hand. The image quality in video of this camera is outstanding!!!

IIRC you need to turn on 'legalize' in atomos ninja to get exact same output as internal recording footage

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Eclipsed

Apr 30, 2020
The future second hand market for R5 will be a concern due to potential overheated circuitry. Even the Canon Australia 5 year warranty won't cover that.

That seems unlikely. More likely either failed or operational. And >95% likely aren't shooting 8k to overheat on a regular basis. I have yet to shoot a single frame of video.

Upvote 0

Eclipsed

Apr 30, 2020
- Some functions disable other functions - if this happens you cant quickly overwrite the problematic function but you have to dive back to the menu and find the function and THAN go back - for example if you use silent shutter you cant activate anti-flicker. You have to first go back to the shutter and change it to mechanical and than go back to activate anti-flicker.

Good point. Be nice to have the image correction (or flicker reduction, or whatever) selectable as "when possible" so it automatically reverts to the preferred setting when the conflicting selection is changed back. Until then, this is what C1,2,3 are for.

Upvote 0
Let me get this straight, Canon introduces the R5 and R6 that offer 8K video capture but it overheats and shuts down so it can cool back down. The recent firmware does very little to remedy the situation and Canon continues to take heat over it. Some users are having success extending the record times by recording to an external drive. As a freelancer, I own two of the same bodies for continuity and serves as a backup. How difficult is it to swap an identical body out in the event that one overheats? If you’re going to capture at 8K, there are certain risks for shooting at technologies razor edge, yes?

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
I was surprised that the main (not only) focus seems to be on user protection from low temperature burns. To the extent that that is limiting the recording lengths then there should really be a way of disabling that at the user’s discretion, e.g. for tripod use where that is not a consideration.
Nope. If you allow it to be disabled, then you will still get sued by an idiot with a tender pinkie who says you didn't make the issue clear enough for him.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Probably more like merging sedan and truck may sound great and cheaper... and it is: introducing a pickup truck, a ute. a pro / prosumer vehicle, jack of all trades. Literary So.. A Work hard - play hard concept. Take to work, take off-road, take to beaches and bush. That’s your Canon 5 series concept. it can do some limited heavy lifting, as your ute. You can tow a trailer. Sure. But not a massive load.

Upvote 0