Home lens repairs.

Jan 29, 2011
I've had a bad run on lenses recently and decided to try my luck at repairs myself, I guess I am that kind of idiot!

First lens is an EF 15mm fisheye. I dropped it and the integral metal petal hood got bent. I did manage to straighten it out but also got a brand new one off eBay, but it has a blob of glue on the thread to unscrew the 'hood' and I don't know what to use to dissolve it, anybody got any ideas?

Second lens is an EF 24-70, this is just for amusement rather than advise at this stage but who knows where it will go? It is the first version so it isn't worth much, I went to use it one day and nothing worked, no AF no aperture etc. So after cleaning up the contacts to no effect I figured it was the main board. I looked for a mainboard on the usual sites and they were far too much for me to take a chance with but came across a Dutch site that seemed to sell end of line everything, they had one in it's box for $54 including shipping to the USA. Well that is worth a try I thought to myself and ordered it, the trouble is the site was in Dutch and I had to use Google Translate to get anywhere. Bottom line, I might have a main board coming for it, I might not! I'll let you know.... In the meantime I found a video online of a complete 24-70 teardown and reassembly so took the old main board out.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

BeenThere

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2012
Eastern Shore
I've had a bad run on lenses recently and decided to try my luck at repairs myself, I guess I am that kind of idiot!

First lens is an EF 15mm fisheye. I dropped it and the integral metal petal hood got bent. I did manage to straighten it out but also got a brand new one off eBay, but it has a blob of glue on the thread to unscrew the 'hood' and I don't know what to use to dissolve it, anybody got any ideas?

Second lens is an EF 24-70, this is just for amusement rather than advise at this stage but who knows where it will go? It is the first version so it isn't worth much, I went to use it one day and nothing worked, no AF no aperture etc. So after cleaning up the contacts to no effect I figured it was the main board. I looked for a mainboard on the usual sites and they were far too much for me to take a chance with but came across a Dutch site that seemed to sell end of line everything, they had one in it's box for $54 including shipping to the USA. Well that is worth a try I thought to myself and ordered it, the trouble is the site was in Dutch and I had to use Google Translate to get anywhere. Bottom line, I might have a main board coming for it, I might not! I'll let you know.... In the meantime I found a video online of a complete 24-70 teardown and reassembly so took the old main board out.
Well that’s ambitious. :eek: I will be interested in your results. Any special tools needed, that sort of thing. I would be careful with solvents on the glue because you don’t know what other plastic parts may be sensitive to the solvent. Good luck!

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
board out.
Heat is going to be the way, as this will weaken the glue. Not sure how the bond is implemented but either overall heat with hot hair drier or tip of soldering iron if it's accessible.

PS, don't blame me if you damage the lens ! :)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The glue is likely thread sealant and heat is the usual way to weaken it. A hair dryer with a focusing attachment to put hear on the threaded area would be my first try. I have a heat gun but it really puts out a lot of heat, I'd be afraid of further damage from high heat. Use a strap wrench, of course and jis screwdrivers for any screws.

I bought a used EF Fisheye with lost lens cap. I have a took to straighten out lens threads and use that to straighten the hood and very slightly stretch the front end so the replacement lens cap fit snugly. I really liked the quality of images from that lens, but like many specialized lenses, I never seemed to use it so I finally sold it.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]
JIS screwdrivers are a must. Non-JIS drivers will strip the screws.

I can confirm that out of experience. My then 10 year old MP-E65mm had a piece of nature right in the center, which I wanted to remove. The combination of thread locker and a philips screwdriver means that removing the front element will now involve drilling out the screws.
Luckily the bit of nature slowly migrated to the side and after half a year completely gone.

Upvote 0

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020
I did several Nikon lenses last year as a beginner with guidance and inspiration from https://richardhaw.com/

Get the screwdrivers. Starbond adhesive remover may help. Don’t overdo heat lest you melt things.

I did a massive Nikon fisheye refurbish and posted a video about it at my Questarzone.com YouTube channel.

Have fun!

Upvote 0