Well, well, well… could this be Canon’s lens roadmap for 2021? [CR2]

Is it different from a "normal" focusing at a sloped object?
Conceptually very different - normally you focus and the plane moves towards/away from you
With tilt, the physical placement of the plane depends on lens tilt and focus setting, along with the rotation of the whole lens for the position of the tilt axis
With a set tilt, adjusting the focus setting swings the plane around an axis set of to one side of the camera (the position of which only depends on the tilt amount and focal length)

However the difference in phase detected by DPAF pixels should be similar on either side of the focus plane. The difference is that with an untilted lens the focus info is used to move the plane back/forwards, whilst with tilt it may need changes of both focus and tilt setting (the rotational aspects of the where the tilt axis is placed is another matter)

Setting the plane of focus to match an arbitrary plane is not difficult once you have the intuitive grasp for it, but is very different from the normal method of just moving focus forwards/backwards.

If anyone's curious I've written up a technique I find useful for this at:

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
All this coming new RF glass is fantastic I’m particularly interested in the RF 14-35mm f/4L IS USM and RF 24mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro, but everyone will have their own preferences

However, if you don’t mind adapting EF lenses there are some fantastic deals on used EF L glass to be found online many that should work flawlessly on R bodies.

I’m particularly interested in the EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 L IS II and the EF 16-35mm f2.8 L II good clean ones can be found online and represent excellent value for money. Paired with the latest R bodies that benefit from IBIS, EF glass suddenly become viable choices.
You are right, I am buying the 100-500 because my old 100-400 mk 1 has needed an upgrade for some time already, but after this raid on the wallet the EF 16-35 f/4 IS and EF 10-24 may well stay on adapters for some (long) time, considering the high pricing. It would take some devilish engineering (e.g. much smaller 10-24, highly doubtful) to swap out the venerable and very satisfactory EF wide zooms. I'd rather spend the coin on the TS-R 14mm which is revolutionary. I can always sell my car to pay for it :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
....but the RF lenses thus far are smaller, lighter and producing better images but they're also more expensive.
So far very few of the direct comparison lenses have been smaller or lighter, most have been much larger and heavier. The standout RF design so far has been the RF70-200 f2.8, which is smaller and lighter than the EF version, most of the others, not so much.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
There’s no fault. Their capability was announced before they even shipped. They’ve already said they won’t be changing them.

So then how do you explain a 3+ month delivery delay after the first batch was released?

They only thought demand would be for a couple thousand units?

We are talking NO new R5’s produced or delivered since early July 2020!

Very clearly Canon stopped production to address issues, so they wouldn’t have to do a recall.

There’s no other explanation.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
So then how do you explain a 3+ month delivery delay after the first batch was released?

Very clearly Canon stopped production to address issues, so they wouldn’t have to do a recall.

ever-drink-so-much-your-wifes-logic-starts-to-make-26451217.png

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

OneSnark

Canon Fanboy
Aug 20, 2019
To be honest I don't see anything there that makes me think I have to move to RF.

(snip)

And I can't imagine the prices they are going to want for these things, I'm looking at good condition used EF gear and thinking I need a hell of a lot of stuff more than spending $10,000's moving from EF to RF.

THIS. . . .THIS post.

Count me as one of the . . . .this is all nice. . . .but does this mean the plan is to replace ALL my EF glass with RF? Yeah. . . . you know. . . .I love photography. . .. but I do have my limits. To build a decent versatile kit looks like a body and 3 zooms. . . which will be about $8-10K. Yeah. . . I can afford a grand or two every year. . . but this entry cost is simply too high.

Shame to be functionally obsolete. I probably have 10 EF lenses. . .ranging from the nifty 50 to the 100-400/L. . .along with a few bodies. The better half has another few lenses. . .and we swap regularly on trips. I hate being functionally OBSOLETE. . . but . . . WOW that's alot of coin. So - - -if I am basically starting from scratch . . . why would I pick Canon over a competitor?

From a marketing perspective: With the writing on-the-wall for dSLR's; I have already passed on both the 90D and the 100-400/L-II (as an upgrade from the I) in the last year or so. ($3K<< $10K)

- - - - - -

Now. . .I am a candidate for the EOS M. My travel kit is heinously heavy. I am impressed as heck the M6-II capability. Less impressed with the lens lineup. Canon has just pumped out a pile of RF lenses - - - not one EF-M lens. . . .and the existing EF-M lenses are mediocre at best (F6.3 on a crop body? Pass. I here the primes are nice. . .but for "smallish travel cam"; one really needs zooms). If there were some decent F4 lenses in the EF-M line. . . I probably would have gone in for a complete package. (Camera; a pair of *quality* zooms; converter for the white lenses)

- - - -

But that left some money in my pocket to buy things for the other half. . . .so may be I am really better off?

Upvote 0

Pixel

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2011
There is a lot of great stuff here but at the same time for those who own most of these lenses in the ef Mount and if they still work flawlessly I don’t see the point. The ef lenses work perfect when adapted. Fathoming the financial loss of just getting rid of something that works for something new just doesn’t compute. I think the innovation is great but again for those of us with thousands invested I can’t see many of us just saying ****** this 600mm viii I need the mirrorless version. Sharp glass is fun because it is sharp but I find it boring and clinical. We often get so obsessed with pixel peeping that we don’t actually enjoy a lens flare or some loss of contrast from the sun. There is beauty in the flaws and the not so clinical imagery. I’m glad for all those why buy the toys they want but I love the ef and I think canon sent to many mixed signals with in the past three years and they should have made the switch to mirrorless sooner.
Not all of them.

Upvote 0

OneSnark

Canon Fanboy
Aug 20, 2019
That's just marketing talk. Electronics companies do it all the time. They want to move on without giving the impression that they're completely leaving legacy users in the dust. EF lens and camera development is pretty much done, possibly with a few straggler products getting released at some point. The market has spoken.

Granted, they'll most likely keep manufacturing already released EF products for many years. Camera equipment doesn't age nearly as quickly as other electronics, of course.

AGREE. I view EF as functionally dead. I mean. . .I will still use it hard. . .. . .I take ok pictures. . . . but I am not buying any more kit in this format.

Not sure about the "market has spoken" part. . . . unless you mean that marketing has effectively sold an entire new product line with minimal compatibility to the existing line.

Was it that hard to put EF mount onto Mirrorless bodies?
Answer: NO - - -but then people wouldn't be running out to buy a pile of shiny new $2000 lenses to put on their shiny new $2000 cameras.
Yeah, yeah, I understand all about "flange distance". . . .but really. . . .are these RF mount systems REALLY that much smaller than the cameras that came before? If you care about weight and size . .that's what the EF-M line is for.

True story: I went from Canon Film to Canon digital. Why did I choose Canon digital? Because I had 2 lenses from my old rig that I could use on the new rig. Net value of those two lenses: $400. Value of dSLR: $1500. Value of new lens I bought with DSLR: $750. I spent much more over the years. Big marketing win for canon. Big functional win for me. (digital is great!)

Fast forward a few (too many) years: Now transitioning from dSLR to mirrorless. Can't port the lenses (without adapter). Replacement lenses cost 1.5x the old lenses. The canon EVF is. . .currently pathetic. Basic functional capability of the camera is the same. Why would I stay on this train?

DANG. . .I feel like an old curmudgeon writing this.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

1. "Couple of thousand units." You have no idea how many were in the first run.
2. You have no idea how many were produced since July.
3. People have been taking deliveries this week.
4. Pandemic vs supply chain.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
1. "Couple of thousand units." You have no idea how many were in the first run.
2. You have no idea how many were produced since July.
3. People have been taking deliveries this week.
4. Pandemic vs supply chain.

Yes, it was confirmed that only a couple thousands units were produced and distributed in the US. Maybe you are in China where things are different though?

Yes, it has been confirmed that NONE have been produced since July, which is why they aren’t being delivered, duh. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nobody has taken deliveries this week, that’s just made up ‍:sleep:

Please go away paid Canon troll!

• Angry
Upvote 0

Bahrd

Red herrings...
Jun 30, 2013
[...] However the difference in phase detected by DPAF pixels should be similar on either side of the focus plane. The difference is that with an untilted lens the focus info is used to move the plane back/forwards, whilst with tilt it may need changes of both focus and tilt setting (the rotational aspects of the where the tilt axis is placed is another matter)

Setting the plane of focus to match an arbitrary plane is not difficult once you have the intuitive grasp for it, but is very different from the normal method of just moving focus forwards/backwards. [...]
Thanks - that means my simplistic understanding of the Scheimpflug principle is quite correct.

If anyone's curious I've written up a technique I find useful for this at:
I know it very well!
PS
An article about (my understanding of) an on-sensor PD-AF is much less popular... ;)

Upvote 0
AGREE. I view EF as functionally dead. I mean. . .I will still use it hard. . .. . .I take ok pictures. . . . but I am not buying any more kit in this format.

Not sure about the "market has spoken" part. . . . unless you mean that marketing has effectively sold an entire new product line with minimal compatibility to the existing line.

Was it that hard to put EF mount onto Mirrorless bodies?
Answer: NO - - -but then people wouldn't be running out to buy a pile of shiny new $2000 lenses to put on their shiny new $2000 cameras.
Yeah, yeah, I understand all about "flange distance". . . .but really. . . .are these RF mount systems REALLY that much smaller than the cameras that came before? If you care about weight and size . .that's what the EF-M line is for.

True story: I went from Canon Film to Canon digital. Why did I choose Canon digital? Because I had 2 lenses from my old rig that I could use on the new rig. Net value of those two lenses: $400. Value of dSLR: $1500. Value of new lens I bought with DSLR: $750. I spent much more over the years. Big marketing win for canon. Big functional win for me. (digital is great!)

Fast forward a few (too many) years: Now transitioning from dSLR to mirrorless. Can't port the lenses (without adapter). Replacement lenses cost 1.5x the old lenses. The canon EVF is. . .currently pathetic. Basic functional capability of the camera is the same. Why would I stay on this train?

DANG. . .I feel like an old curmudgeon writing this.

Don't worry, you are not alone here, I work as an architecture and interiors photographer, and I am not planning to go with the R line either (at least for the lenses). In my line of work I do not even need AF so there is nothing I cannot do with a DSLR. However, I am considering an R5 (or the next high res RS body), simply for the possibility of of putting a Pol filter behind my 17mm TS and a more modern sensor . I am still working with a 5DSR and there is nothing wrong about it, except maybe the outdated sensor, but a good post processing technique can do a lot. So far there is not one lens in Canon's R line-up that would truly change my life. I need a good manual focusing, and focus by wire is a nightmare for me, but I am afraid it is now the rule for mirrorless.

The news of AF TS-E lenses for the R series came as a bit of a shock, but in the end, I will keep buying EF mount lenses. My plan is to update my very old 45mm with the 50mm TS-E (although 45mm was a better focal length for me) and maybe the newer 90mm TS-E to replace the V1, though the old one is still very good. As for the non-TS-E lenses I sometime use, I am now looking a the Zeiss Milvus range, that has become cheap in comparison to Canon's R offering, and will do a better job for me.

My idea is that Canon was a bit ashamed of their R and RP cameras, that compared very badly with about every other brand, and now want to show that every lens they release is better than the concurrence and who is the boss again. IMO f1.2 was not necessary over f1.4, a "pro" 70-200mm that cannot take x1.4 and x2 converters, f7.1 aperture on the long end of zooms, are some of the things that keep me away from their new lenses. As you said everything is x1,5 the price (and twice as big), but I am not convinced the user is really winning in the end. Hopefully their f1.8 range will be good enough, for most people. Otherwise, if you are enjoying your EF system like me, just keep it, it will make excellent picture for years to come.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Yes, it was confirmed that only a couple thousands units were produced and distributed in the US. Maybe you are in China where things are different though?

Yes, it has been confirmed that NONE have been produced since July, which is why they aren’t being delivered, duh. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nobody has taken deliveries this week, that’s just made up ‍:sleep:

Please go away paid Canon troll!
Allow me to enlighten you, silly boy. If anyone is spreading falsehood around here, it's you. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Ronny Wertelaers

Ronny Wertelaers Photography
Apr 21, 2020
Belgium
www.ronnywertelaers.com
I'd love to see Canon make some RF f/1.4 glass along the lines of the Sigma Art 35mm/50mm/85mm prime series at competitive prices. Would that steal the market from Sigma and help Canon sell bodies? Or would that ruin their f/1.2 sales? I know it's a pipe dream, but still; one can dream :censored: .
I am sure there will be a market for a good performing lighter weight RF1.4 line of prime lenses. The new lenses are really good but bigger and more heavy then the EF version.

Upvote 0