Let’s talk about the Canon EOS R1 development [CR2]

Darecinema

Addicted to lenses.
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2018
Ummmm. Which Canon camera is this: https://www.dji.com/mobile/rs-2?site=brandsite&from=homepage DJI has launched a new RS2 stabilizer and they show multiple Canon cameras being mounted on it but also a hybrid one that kind of looks like the C70 but also maybe the 1dx 3?
Nmind. Looks like they used R5, 1dxmkiii, c300iii. I thought for a second we may have had a leak on the c50...oh well. Definitely getting that stabilizer though!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
After shooting the R5 & R6 in YNP/GNTP for the last 16 days, I want to add a few things to the previous posters list (below)
  1. Much better battery life
  2. "Always ON" EVF and ready to shoot (I know this contradicts item 1)
  3. Faster, smoother, higher resolution EVF for tracking action (should be part of a 1dx comparable MLC)
  4. Assignable audio for each frame capture of the electronic shutter vs flashing frame which I find distracting
  5. Slightly smear AI for the "groundbreaking AF" and better support for eye tracking with long lenses.
  6. AF ability to identify and focus through obstructions on the eye (grease, tree branches, leaves, etc).
  7. Better dynamic range and handling of dark areas for high contrast, bright situations.
I will add, I really liked shooting with the R5 and have no regrets selling my 1dx II. I am not quite as happy with the 100-500 when used with at the 1.4x TC. Extending the lens to 300 mm before adding the converter and limited to 420-700mm can be an issue with animals on the move and changing distance. I kept my 100-400 II with the intent to sell after testing the 100-500. I am very happy with the performance of the 100-500, but feel I need a second camera with my 100-400 II when I am using the 100-500 with the 1.4x TC. In my view, the ability to use 500-700 mm on the 100-500 is awesome, but it comes with the price of flexibility on the 100-420mm range when shooting with the 1.4x TC.

"My guess is minimum specs as R5 but in 1D body ( AF-On smart controller buttons, dual CFe slots) with:
- Global shutter (no mechanical shutter). Rolling shutter artifactys significantly better than current electronic shutter
- 45mp sensor with IBIS (IBIS can be turned off)
- 30fps electronic shutter burst with full tracking - perhaps with buffer ie not unlimited
- ~20mp on-the fly over sampled (no lossy compression/S-RAW) at full 30fps unlimited buffer. Best of both worlds.
- Dual Digic X to spread the heat generation and generate less heat per CPU
- Unlimited 8k cinema raw lite internal recording
- 6K/60. 4k/120 unlimited no crop internal recording.
- No line skipping/pixel binning 4k/6k modes
- 29:59 recording limit :cool:
- Clog3
- minimum 16fps using anti-flicker depending on frequency of the flicker lighting
- AF in very low light (quad pixel makes sense but would be equivalent to a 180mp sensor!)
- pixel shift high res stills
- 9+ megadot EFV with no blackout and fast refresh rates (at lease 120fps). >0.5" in size
- full sized HDMI 2.1 port (48G) or thunderbolt 3 USB-C or both
- Mini XLR audio option
- Ethernet port
- Flippy screen included. Won't be great for portrait recording but still needed I think. Weather sealing will need to be excellent though"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
Well, higher dynamic range than anything seen before, much reduced noise in the higher ISO, 30FPS stills, about 25-30MP sensor, Eye tracking focus chooser. (IS and IBIS are already there) As for video, I am not sure Canon need to spend much over it, these cameras are made for action stills, not video. If you do want video for video, get a professional video camera. And yes.. under 1000$..

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org

This could prompt the MKIII / MKII shooters to make the jump if

1. It's at least 45MP's
  2. It's at least 12fps RAW
  3. Better Sealing
  4. If I fill the frame I want distinct hair stands, blackheads, pimples and facial hair vs. wax
  5. Better DR
  6. Dual Same Media - I could give you 100 reasons - I'd prefer CFExpress
  7. Ability to bracket from spot to eval - Sports shooters who shoot outdoors will bow to you
  8. Better color, not saying it has to be Fuji 16bit or Hasselblad but it's time to up the game
  9. Sports Photogs can't shoot tethered to a PC on the field, shooting over the bow of a boat or squatting next to jump for dirt bikes. I'd love a 2TB - External Drive with a sealed connection
  10. Ability to control my Canon flashes and some strobes from my camera with the ability to download the Profoto, Elinchrom or Godox or Broncolor codes
  11. As in #6 - Canon Professional Workflow to include camera profile, color check, PC calibration, post production to a printer.
  12. Auto MA - If I have to buy a new 2.8 300 & 400 & 70-200 & 24-70 & 85 as least have the body mate with the lens.
  13. Since we won't have a mirror box, give CPS Platinum members other incentives as we'll be using the 10 C&C's less frequently
  14. Wi-fi connectivity that does not stink. Better and more intuitive user interface
  15. Collars for our big whites with enough space and better-designed feet to grip for our big hands. To those of us who shoot hand held with 300's and 400's on the sidelines with no mono or tripod, on the back of a boat, it would be a HUGE help
  16. Last but not least, I'm in love with an OVF and shoot in very bright sun in stadiums or America's Cup - If can't follow and see in all conditions as I can with an OVF, all bets are off.
17. Selfish request. We're getting older need a tiny bit more than +3.... I'm just asking.... The eyes are getting weaker but the heart is still strong! Would hate to have to wear glasses to shoot, need that seal of the eye to the cup in the sun and at sunset :)

18.And please don't cripple the camera for Video - You should sell a kit for those coming over from !D

1. Two Bodies
  2. 300mm 400mm 70-200mm 24-70mm 85mm
  3. 4 Batteries with extra caps
  4. CFReader
  5. Chargers
I'll bet if you priced this kit competitively as a clear discount to buying everything separately, a lot of us would buy at least one kit to start.

Best to all....

Of 1 to 19... Wonder if I'll get one of them??????

Upvote 0

adigoks

EOS 750D
Jul 12, 2020
After shooting the R5 & R6 in YNP/GNTP for the last 16 days, I want to add a few things to the previous posters list (below)
  1. Much better battery life
  2. "Always ON" EVF and ready to shoot (I know this contradicts item 1)
  3. Faster, smoother, higher resolution EVF for tracking action (should be part of a 1dx comparable MLC)
  4. Assignable audio for each frame capture of the electronic shutter vs flashing frame which I find distracting
  5. Slightly smear AI for the "groundbreaking AF" and better support for eye tracking with long lenses.
  6. AF ability to identify and focus through obstructions on the eye (grease, tree branches, leaves, etc).
  7. Better dynamic range and handling of dark areas for high contrast, bright situations.
I will add, I really liked shooting with the R5 and have no regrets selling my 1dx II. I am not quite as happy with the 100-500 when used with at the 1.4x TC. Extending the lens to 300 mm before adding the converter and limited to 420-700mm can be an issue with animals on the move and changing distance. I kept my 100-400 II with the intent to sell after testing the 100-500. I am very happy with the performance of the 100-500, but feel I need a second camera with my 100-400 II when I am using the 100-500 with the 1.4x TC. In my view, the ability to use 500-700 mm on the 100-500 is awesome, but it comes with the price of flexibility on the 100-420mm range when shooting with the 1.4x TC.

"My guess is minimum specs as R5 but in 1D body ( AF-On smart controller buttons, dual CFe slots) with:
- Global shutter (no mechanical shutter). Rolling shutter artifactys significantly better than current electronic shutter
- 45mp sensor with IBIS (IBIS can be turned off)
- 30fps electronic shutter burst with full tracking - perhaps with buffer ie not unlimited
- ~20mp on-the fly over sampled (no lossy compression/S-RAW) at full 30fps unlimited buffer. Best of both worlds.
- Dual Digic X to spread the heat generation and generate less heat per CPU
- Unlimited 8k cinema raw lite internal recording
- 6K/60. 4k/120 unlimited no crop internal recording.
- No line skipping/pixel binning 4k/6k modes
- 29:59 recording limit :cool:
- Clog3
- minimum 16fps using anti-flicker depending on frequency of the flicker lighting
- AF in very low light (quad pixel makes sense but would be equivalent to a 180mp sensor!)
- pixel shift high res stills
- 9+ megadot EFV with no blackout and fast refresh rates (at lease 120fps). >0.5" in size
- full sized HDMI 2.1 port (48G) or thunderbolt 3 USB-C or both
- Mini XLR audio option
- Ethernet port
- Flippy screen included. Won't be great for portrait recording but still needed I think. Weather sealing will need to be excellent though"
very optimistic wishes indeed.
here some of my thought
1. as previous rumors stated "new global shutter FF sensor with 20 MP". it makes 45MP and global shutter wouldn't be put together.
2. anti flicker is no longer needed when using global shutter
3. mini XLR addon would be nice
4. flippy screen in 1D body is kinda weird. but its pretty welcome improvement if they did.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
This could prompt the MKIII / MKII shooters to make the jump if

It's at least 45MP's

Uh, you know Canon asked pros about the resolution and they deemed 20MP is good enough for the 1DX3? I highly doubt many of them suddenly want more than double that. Something like 30MP, sure.
Better Sealing

How much better can you can even get while still having a gaping hole in the camera where the lens goes?

If I fill the frame I want distinct hair stands, blackheads, pimples and facial hair vs. wax

If you mean JPEG output, adjust your Picture Style and NR. If you mean RAW, I don't know what you're talking about.

Sports Photogs can't shoot tethered to a PC on the field, shooting over the bow of a boat or squatting next to jump for dirt bikes. I'd love a 2TB - External Drive with a sealed connection

2TB CFExpress cards are already a thing.

Auto MA - If I have to buy a new 2.8 300 & 400 & 70-200 & 24-70 & 85 as least have the body mate with the lens

If you mean AFMA, mirrorless cameras don't need that in the first place.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

TracerHD

Canon EOS R1 Pro
Aug 22, 2019
My first expectations:
R1 - Global Shutter - 21MP Quad Pixel Mode - 42MP Dual Pixel Mode - Screen like R5 with more resolution - more EVF resolution - battery grip built in - battery with more capacity like previous 1-Cameras - larger top OLED Display than R5 - Sensor protected by Mechanical Shutter when changing Lenses - ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How can focus better than R5 and R6? It will focus even before you push the button? If focus where you point your eye in the evf? Lol
1) less EVF lag. Users will point the lens at subjects tighter but behind.
Manufacturer will unclose the evf lag data if it is really short enough.
2) Recognize more subjects, eg, more kind of animal eyes, flowers stigmas.
3) Tracking multiple AF subjects even when one of them is activated.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
What is a global shutter?
A rolling shutter is when the electronic shutter exposes the sensor one line at a time.
A global shutter is when the sensor is read completely in a single pass.
Rolling shutter can lead to artifacts if the light is changing, there are fast-moving subjects or the camera is moving.

Last edited:
Upvote 0