Patent: Canon RF 35-135mm f/2.8 and other fast zoom lenses

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon News has uncovered a patent showing optical formulas for fast RF zoom lenses, likely of the L variety. The purpose of the patent is to showcase a high-performance zoom lens design.
Of the three embodiments in this patent, only the RF 35-135mm f/2.8 seems like a design that has a slight chance of becoming a consumer product.

Patent: Canon RF 35-135mm f/2.8

Canon RF 35-135mm f/2.8

Canon RF 35-135mm f/2.8

Canon RF 35-135mm f/2.8

Canon RF 35-135mm f/2.8...

Continue reading...

Jan 29, 2011
It's no better time to choose a system: buy R5 and RF lenses, and sell every other digital equipment before they get worthless :D
Not such a great idea when the comparative costs are actually given. You can get a 5D IV and 2.8 zoom trinity for peanuts compared to an R5 and 2.8 zoom trinity, and I haven’t seen a single image one could take and the other couldn’t.

Are you a tech head or a photographer is more to the point, tech heads will always be seduced by the newest shiniest toy, photographers will take pictures with whatever they can afford (or borrow).

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

Hyperion

Canon 5D mk3, Fujifilm X-A7
Jan 27, 2020
It's no better time to choose a system: buy R5 and RF lenses, and sell every other digital equipment before they get worthless :D

I like R5, but I also like 28mm lenses... and don’t have money for R5 (yet?). I actually almost sold everything, and now I stuck between options. Sony has nice 28mm and compact 35 1.4 is coming... but 35-135 2.8 is my dream zoom.
Anyway, I need more money, so I have time to see what’s coming.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Hyperion

Canon 5D mk3, Fujifilm X-A7
Jan 27, 2020
Not such a great idea when the comparative costs are actually given. You can get a 5D IV and 2.8 zoom trinity for peanuts compared to an R5 and 2.8 zoom trinity, and I haven’t seen a single image one could take and the other couldn’t.

Are you a tech head or a photographer is more to the point, tech heads will always be seduced by the newest shiniest toy, photographers will take pictures with whatever they can afford (or borrow).
Yep. If I was only photographer - I’d go with 5Dmk4 and 35+85 1.4 combo. But my tech part insist to be modern and go mirrorless)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Yep. If I was only photographer - I’d go with 5Dmk4 and 35+85 1.4 combo. But my tech part insist to be modern and go mirrorless)
This is a case of photographic schizophrenia .
I'd suggest a quick visit to Dr. Canon, only he can help in desperate cases like yours. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Canon L zooms are getting closer, but still can't match the quality of most L prime lenses.
It could be even harder for such an "extreme" zoom lens.
I know zooms are very useful, using them often. But, does it really make sense to buy a 90 MP Rs, without using the sharpest possible lenses?:unsure:
I share the same concern. If you use RF L primes and L zooms then you're doing about as good as you can do for IQ, no matter what the difference is. The other RF lenses will be lighter & less expensive and probably won't see any difference between them. If the R5s is anywhere similar in cost to the R5 then you might as well get it as it will be at least as good or maybe better in IQ with the same lenses. It may have other various improvements due to a later design & manufacture. Be sure to use compressed raw for the best quality without totally drowning you computer in needed storage. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Stu

CR Pro
Jan 21, 2014
that would probably be an RF lens I would be interested in. right now, the RF trinity offerings aren't significantly better than my EF trinity.

Where do you get your data? Bryan Carnathan for one competent reviewer would disagree. I would as well. My EF L lenses were very good but the RF lenses are definitely better. The RF24-105/4 is remarkably better than any previous EF version, just as one example. The redesigned mount is part of that difference. The R5 demands extremely good glass & the RF series works extremely well with it. If your concern is money why don't you write them off your taxes as a business expense as many of us do? The cheaper is better arguments are irrelevant. We are talking about various lens characteristics that lend themselves to better files.

Stu

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

And then some photographers are tech heads at the same time.

Upvote 0