Why R5 Mechanical shutter shock so serious? Amost makes it useless.

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Woohoo, I only got one pair wrong.

Does that mean I am male or female?
"What about the common belief that orange cats are always male? Well, that’s not entirely true. Orange cats are usually male.

The reason? The gene that codes for orange fur is on the X chromosome. Since females have two X’s and males have one X and one Y, this means that a female orange cat must inherit two orange genes–one from each parent–whereas a male only needs one, which he gets from his mother.

This orange gene can appear in calico cats and tortoiseshells too.

In other words, male orange cats always come from mothers with an orange gene, but female orange cats also require a father with the same gene. That’s why orange cats are usually male."

Source: Cat Facts: Why Orange Cats Are Usually Male - CatTime

I sincerely hope this aids you in your noble quest to make a decision that feels right for you.

;)

PS I also missed one. Fun test!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
"What about the common belief that orange cats are always male? Well, that’s not entirely true. Orange cats are usually male.

The reason? The gene that codes for orange fur is on the X chromosome. Since females have two X’s and males have one X and one Y, this means that a female orange cat must inherit two orange genes–one from each parent–whereas a male only needs one, which he gets from his mother.

In other words, male orange cats always come from mothers with an orange gene, but female orange cats also require a father with the same gene. That’s why orange cats are usually male."

I sincerely hope this aids you in your noble quest to make a decision that feels right for you.

;)

Funnily enough I have (well I think her belief is she has me) a female calico, which due to genetics is almost always female. She is actually a dilute calico, which complicates the inheritance even more and is also recessive.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Another question would be, "Have you ever heard of a RB6x7?" LOL
I'm pretty sure the answer would be a resounding "No". But if we were to have a competition to see which camera could create the most degraded image due to shutter shock the Pentax would win hands down due to its massive focal plane shutter, which once triggered causes the whole camera to lurch to one side, the movement of which was preceded by a loud "thwack" of the mirror releasing, a noise that would give modern "I hate mirror-slappers" nightmares for weeks. Yet despite these (and other) failings the Pentax 67 was a remarkably successful medium format camera, which surprise, surprise, managed to produce some world class images that were sharp !

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England

;)

I bet you don't get this education on Nikon Rumors ! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure the answer would be a resounding "No". But if we were to have a competition to see which camera could create the most degraded image due to shutter shock the Pentax would win hands down due to its massive focal plane shutter, which once triggered causes the whole camera to lurch to one side, the movement of which was preceded by a loud "thwack" of the mirror releasing, a noise that would give modern "I hate mirror-slappers" nightmares for weeks. Yet despite these (and other) failings the Pentax 67 was a remarkably successful medium format camera, which surprise, surprise, managed to produce some world class images that were sharp !
I used the 6x7 for a while, and I agree the loud thwack was enough to wake the dead. The film advance handle looked like it came off a tractor. It shot really nice pictures though. I started with a Canon F1 with a motor drive, then the Mamaya C330's, then the RB67, and finally ran out of money with the Blad's. The difference between 35mm and 2-1/4 or 6x7 was unbelievable. Now I see the same resolution in the R5 today. I donated my B&W and Color darkroom to a college and have never missed it.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Well, subtle as the posted examples have been, Canon apparently is aware of the issue and considering options. I received an email from them last night implying that they are working on a fix. Here's a quote: "Thank you for your patience. We just wanted to touch base with you to let you know that our engineers are still researching your issue. They are working on a solution and we will follow-up once we receive an update from them. "

So, "Cheers" to our OP, Rzrsharp. See? 2020 really is a year in which anything is possible. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Well, subtle as the posted examples have been, Canon apparently is aware of the issue and considering options. I received and email from them last night implying that they are working on a fix. Here's a quote: "Thank you for your patience. We just wanted to touch base with you to let you know that our engineers are still researching your issue. They are working on a solution and we will follow-up once we receive an update from them. "

So, "Cheers" to our OP, Rzrsharp. See? 2020 really is a year in which anything is possible. :p
Great news! Let’s hope they take similar action with the freezes people have been experiencing

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

;)

The website about Orange cats missed out the crucial point, the orange gene is recessive. Let me illustrate a recessive gene by this analogy. Suppose there are 4 people, each of whom have two cameras but can use only one. One has two Canons, two have one Canon and one Sony each, the fourth has two Sony cameras. Then, the number 4 has to use a Sony but the first three use only a Canon.;)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

EOSR FAN

550d, 70d, Eos r, Eos r5
Sep 29, 2020
Just an observation of my own in regards to shutter shock. For my 70d I always used mirror lockup for landscapes and always had sharp shots.

I bought a Eos R on release and obviously never had to do mirror lockup. Always had fantastically sharp shots and to be honest never understood the negativity towards the camera as I loved its colours, size and the image it produced. I won't mention the touch bar!

Purchased the Eos R5 on release and i have kept scratching my head wondering why the Eos R was sharper. Initially thought it was my mistake leaving the IS on when the camera was on a tripod.

I did some Google searches a few weeks back and found lots of information on the R5 and shutter shock (a term i had never heard of prior) and similar to you guys/ladies I found really slow shutter speeds or faster than 1/200 and not really an issue.

Now this might just be my R5 but I have found a way to reduce the shutter shock for me, still definitely sharper with electronic though. Hopefully it helps anyone out there with similar. I just turned off continous autofocus and now use the Af-On button to autofocus and hold my breath when taking photos and even in mechanical shutter I can't see as big a difference handheld in sharpness between mechanical and electronic unless full on pixel peeping

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Just an observation of my own in regards to shutter shock. For my 70d I always used mirror lockup for landscapes and always had sharp shots.

I bought a Eos R on release and obviously never had to do mirror lockup. Always had fantastically sharp shots and to be honest never understood the negativity towards the camera as I loved its colours, size and the image it produced. I won't mention the touch bar!

Purchased the Eos R5 on release and i have kept scratching my head wondering why the Eos R was sharper. Initially thought it was my mistake leaving the IS on when the camera was on a tripod.

I did some Google searches a few weeks back and found lots of information on the R5 and shutter shock (a term i had never heard of prior) and similar to you guys/ladies I found really slow shutter speeds or faster than 1/200 and not really an issue.

Now this might just be my R5 but I have found a way to reduce the shutter shock for me, still definitely sharper with electronic though. Hopefully it helps anyone out there with similar. I just turned off continous autofocus and now use the Af-On button to autofocus and hold my breath when taking photos and even in mechanical shutter I can't see as big a difference handheld in sharpness between mechanical and electronic unless full on pixel peeping
The best advice on settings to anyone buying an R5 is to turn off Continuous AF and use Servo unless they want to run the battery down as quickly as possible.

Upvote 0
@ 1/400S
There are the same.
03-400dth.jpg

I will not use mechanical shutter :-
1) lower than 1/400S if hand held
2) lower than 1/200S if on a tripod

Basically, R5's 14-bit mechanical shutter is 80% useless.
You can only enjoy 12-bit or 13-bit in a general shooting (Street photography, travel, wedding, studio) with EFCS or ES if you are critical to the blurry shutter shock.

Upvote 0