An APS-C RF mount prototype is currently in the wild [CR2]

This seems like a weird one. I'm thinking this would have a new sensor if it's going to be a high-speed sports camera. I can't imagine they would use the sensor from the 90D/M6 Mark II. Though, I'd think that they could instead design a large megapixel full-frame sensor that would be able to go into a super high-speed APS-C crop, which would avoid muddying the RF ecosystem. I guess we will see soon enough!

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Agree. M7 will keep the M series battery and R7 will have the LP-E6NH. Just another option for either small with M lenses or R7 for big whites. If you want to use EF big whites on a M series then there is nothing to stop you :)
Yes, I often use the M5 on on my 800L. It works just fine with the lens on a sturdy tripod and gimbal.

Upvote 0
Not necessarily true , as for wildlife and sports many people such as my self only want more reach and not small size .
I use a 7D mark ii and an R6 body with a crop sensor would be ideal for my hobby of bird photography .
I'd rather have a large body with a big grip to go with my long telephotos like my EF300 f/2.8 and EF100-400 ii
Sigh! Yes, I acknowledged that there are SOME people like you. But as a percentage, it’s small. The reason why most APS-C cameras are smaller, lighter and cheaper, with very few, if any pro lenses (no “L” APS-C lenses! Nikon is the same), and so many different models, is because most people buying that format are often not much more than snap shooters who want a few cheaper lenses.

my question is why Apple would want to cater to higher end APS-C shooters first time around, since they are a small marketshare of overall APS-C buyers. One would think that if they’re now trying to get a good amount of APS-C sales, they would go for the bigger market of APS-C DSLR shooters, again, most of whom buy those smaller, less expensive cameras.

I have nothing against Canon selling a camera aimed towards higher end APS-C users. I just don’t see why they would go after them first.

Upvote 0
I know some think this is silly, but it means a lot to me...

I really really hope it has builtin GPS! :)

(No, don't tell me about the "smartphone app solution" - Tried and it was worthless frustrations in practice)

I think it certainly will come with one as the 7Dii had it and the 7 series is basically supposed to be a baby 1D series camera.
I just hope they keep both card slots as SD and not what the 7Dii did with the 5Diii style card slots or in this case the R5. But it seems like they will go with the R6 body.

Upvote 0
My first camera from my own pocket was a 7Dii and this is the Canon APS-C mirrorless I've been waiting for. Having said that, after being with Fuji for the last 2 years, I'm eager to see what the XH2 will bring to the table. Glad I didn't sell off my DSLR 2.8 lenses. That old sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 APO EX DC OS HSM is pretty much a rare gem now. The resolution, sharpness and Auto Focus on that lens is just amazing on Canon DSLRs and even the M5. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with the Fringer adapters. But seriously a great lens even for video.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I have nothing against Canon selling a camera aimed towards higher end APS-C users. I just don’t see why they would go after them first.
They've already got the mirrorless for the masses segment covered with EF-M. There's no 'going after them first' here, they already have that market segment.

Trying to compete with EF-M for customers that want small, light and cheap seems much harder to believe than Canon (no idea why you mention Apple) simply developing a new mechanical shutter and downs a led version of the R5s sensor for use in an existing FF body.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
How does physical sensor size impact power consumption, if at all?

Would the APS-C sensor have a significant positive impact on battery life compared to full frame? The lower battery life of mirrorless compared to DSLRs may make this a compelling reason for an APS-C RF mount.

Has anyone ever seen any data published on the power demands of the various components in a digItal camera individually?

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
How does physical sensor size impact power consumption, if at all?

Would the APS-C sensor have a significant positive impact on battery life compared to full frame? The lower battery life of mirrorless compared to DSLRs may make this a compelling reason for an APS-C RF mount.

Has anyone ever seen any data published on the power demands of the various components in a digItal camera individually?
Moving a larger shutter (and mirror in the case of DSLR) will require slightly more power. But don't expect a big difference.

The CIPA battery ratings for the 5D IV and 80D for example show the 80D being able to take slightly more shots (and I believe that's also using the built in flash for some proportion of the pictures?). So, as they have the same battery and sensor generation, the crop body consumes a little less power.

But the 5D IV also has a slightly more powerful processor, if Canon's naming scheme is indicative of performance. So it is not apples to apples.

Edit: With IBIS being a factor now, that may actually amount to a bigger difference between crop and FF due to the mass differences. But the sensor also can move further within the FF image circle, so that may cancel out if they go for even greater amounts of stability.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
The Canon Rumors Forum, where people without a dog in a fight sure have a lot of emotional connections and opinions on what others (and Canon) are doing wrong. Guess what? A grundle of former and current 7D/7Dii users like what Canon did the first time and cannot wait for the mirrorless iteration. If I'm in a blind or shooting an airshow, I'm not thinking about post production crop and sensor well quadrants.

If we have a rumor that Canon is likely making what many folks have been pining for for years, why must others whose interests lie elsewhere come along and whiz in their Cheerios?

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Sigh! Yes, I acknowledged that there are SOME people like you. But as a percentage, it’s small. The reason why most APS-C cameras are smaller, lighter and cheaper, with very few, if any pro lenses (no “L” APS-C lenses! Nikon is the same), and so many different models, is because most people buying that format are often not much more than snap shooters who want a few cheaper lenses.

my question is why Apple would want to cater to higher end APS-C shooters first time around, since they are a small marketshare of overall APS-C buyers. One would think that if they’re now trying to get a good amount of APS-C sales, they would go for the bigger market of APS-C DSLR shooters, again, most of whom buy those smaller, less expensive cameras.

I think the profit margin on this type of camera and the market size more than makes it worth Canons effort.

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK

Because there is MUCH higher demand for an 7D ii replacement than for another cheap entry level model. People who buy them have pleeeenty of choice already and definitely aren’t in a rush to get into the R system. 7D lovers are all waiting for that one camera.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

But, the mass market folks already have the M series to choose from if they want a Canon mirrorless.

Apple? They sell cameras that come with a free phone. As for Canon, it's not their first time around. Again, the M series is for the market you are describing, the R7 and the more costly RF lenses are for the 7D market -- those who want a high-end camera and are willing to pay for it. If Canon makes an R7 as rumored, then it will be clear that they don't see much if any overlap between the small camera market (traditionally Rebels and now M Series) and the enthusiast/semi-pro/pro market that the R7 would be targeted at. R7 buyers are likely to pair the camera with a long lens 90% of the time, as that market is interested in reach. Canon can produce a 15-85mm APS-C lens and maybe a 10-20mm APS-C and that will be all the shorter focal length lenses they need.

As to whether or not the market is big enough to justify the development and manufacturing costs, apparently it is or Canon wouldn't be making one. These customers are not particularly price sensitive.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

1D4

Jun 5, 2020

I think you are vastly underestimating the percentage of people who want higher end APS-C cameras and currently use them with expensive lenses. The Nikon D500 is very popular and often paired with the AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm VR ($2300) or the 500mm PF ($3500). The 7D series is very popular and most of my friends who have it pair it with the 100-400 IS II. It's not just SOME people like you continue to state....there is a significant demand for this type of camera and Canon doesn't make money by developing cameras that only a small percentage of people would want. I currently have the R5 and RF100-500, RF70-200 2.8 and RF15-35 2.8, and will be a day 1 purchaser of the R7.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Since the point of smaller sensors is to have smaller and lighter cameras and lenses, I’m not sure what the point is to putting an APS-C sensor in a FF body.
Do you consider the 7D to be a FF-sized body?
Not quite. But dslrs have that pentaprism to deal with. It’s not just the size, it’s the weight too.

Thanks, it was a genuine question to see what your perspective was.
The CR2 indicates that it “looks nearly identical to the EOS R6”.
The R6 is smaller in most dimensions than 7D/II, and lighter.
So if this new APS-C R camera is closer to the R6, then would you still consider it as putting an APS-C sensor in a FF body?

Whatever it is, I would use it. And the 5DV, if there will be one. Or whatever else Canon comes up with. Mostly excited about an R1, though, as I'm expecting a few surprises.

The EOS R System is all about the RF mount and lenses, and not mirrorless. The system was created around the new mount architecture. Canon even explained when talking about R that shooting Live View or Movie mode was effectively mirrorless already, and that slapping on an EVF would not have been difficult. But R wasn't about that; the point was development of the RF Lens series. So with APS-C, I am curious if/when we will see RF-S type lenses as the RF camera models expand to all segments.

Last edited:
Upvote 0