Remaining EF DSLRs on Canon USA's product list

These are the the currently available EF dSLRs currently sold on BH and Adorama released per year from newest to oldest

- 850D aka Rebel T8i
- 1D X Mark III

- 90D
- 250D aka Rebel SL3

- 6D Mark II***

- 5D Mark IV***
- 80D**
- 1D X Mark II**

- 5Ds R*

- 7D Mark II*

Bodies in BOLD may be the last model of their dSLR product line

*Has rumors of discontinued production so whatever stock is on hand may never be replenished further
**Replacement dSLR model has been released so this model may not be replenished further
***Replacement mirrorless model has been released so this model may not be replenished further

The 2019 & 2020 dSLR models could point to a future RF body

- "R1" to replace the 1-Series bodies
- "R7" to replace the 7-Series bodies
- "R10" to replace the xxD bodies
- "R Rebel" to replace the Rebel bodies

Last edited:

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
These are the the currently available EF dSLRs currently sold on BH and Adorama released per year from newest to oldest

- 850D aka Rebel T8i
- 1D X Mark III

- 90D
- 250D aka Rebel SL3

- 6D Mark II***

- 5D Mark IV***
- 80D**
- 1D X Mark II**

- 5Ds R*

- 7D Mark II*

*Has rumors of discontinued production so whatever stock is on hand may never be replenished further
**Replacement dSLR model has been released so this model may not be replenished further
***Replacement mirrorless model has been released so this model may not be replenished further

I know it's often said the R6 is a replacement for the 6D II, but I just don't see it. The R6 is about double the price I paid for my 6D II (at least where I am, in Australia), and probably more than double the current 6D II price, so to me the R6 is in a completely different price class. As someone who has been a 6D series buyer (I owned the original 6D before the 6D II), I have no interest whatsoever in paying the asking price for an R6, and that is all the more so given it has only 20 MP. I understand the R6 has plenty of bells and whistles, and I understand you don't need more than 20 MP for many purposes, but I do like to make large prints from time to time so at this point in the development of digital cameras I have no interest in paying that much money for a 20 MP body, however good it may be in other respects.

Similarly, while the R5 is genreally seen as a 5D IV replacement, where I am there is a huge price difference between the R5 and what has been the 5D IV price point. The R5 is pretty close to 1 series pricing. So, query how many people who have been 5D series buyers may not consider the R5 to be a replacement for the 5D IV, for essentially the same reason I don't see the R6 as a 6D II replacement.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I know it's often said the R6 is a replacement for the 6D II, but I just don't see it. The R6 is about double the price I paid for my 6D II (at least where I am, in Australia), and probably more than double the current 6D II price, so to me the R6 is at a completely different price class. As someone who has been a 6D series buyer (I owned the original 6D before the 6D II), I have no interest whatsover in paying the asking price for an R6, and that is all the more so given it has only 20 MP. I understand the R6 has plenty of bells and whistles, and I understand you don't need more than 20 MP for many purposes, but I do like to make large prints from time to time so at this point in the development of digital cameras I have no interest in paying that much money for a 20 MP body, however good it may be in other respects.

Similarly, while the R5 is genreally seen as a 5D IV replacement, where I am there is a huge price difference between the R5 and what has been the 5D IV price point. The R5 is pretty close to 1 series pricing. So, query how many people who have been 5D series buyers may not consider the R5 to be a replacement for the 5D IV for, for essentially the same reason I don't see the R6 as a 6D II replacement.
I undertand your point of view and agree with mostly of what you said but consider that the volume of DSC during the years leading to the 2012 6D and 2017 6D Mark II are drastically different to the years leading to 2020 R6. As such they need to do price adjustment to their projected economies of scale to cover their projected expenses.

Prices of cameras, lesnes and accessories will only go up further as volume of DSC will decline.

ltYzNoA.jpg

I would not be surprised if the "R1" or "R5 Mark II" will cost $9,999 and $4,999 respectively by year 2024 or later

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
<snip>

Similarly, while the R5 is genreally seen as a 5D IV replacement, where I am there is a huge price difference between the R5 and what has been the 5D IV price point. The R5 is pretty close to 1 series pricing. So, query how many people who have been 5D series buyers may not consider the R5 to be a replacement for the 5D IV for, for essentially the same reason I don't see the R6 as a 6D II replacement.

I see the R5 as a replacement for the 5Dx line of DSLR cameras.

Not sure where you live, but the prices in the US aren't really THAT much of a jump, especially if you consider todays dollars vs when 5D4 was released, and the increased functionality given, etc.

I'm still holding onto my 5D3 for now, as that I"ve bought a couple of higher end cameras (I got good deals on them) from other manufacturers....and need to save up some more money.

I'm also wanting to see if this year, what Canon does with regards to a 1DX type mirrorless replacement, to see what they come out with and at what price level.

And by that time, the R5 will have had a couple more firmware releases, etc.

I rarely buy something at the 1.0 release level and tend to give things about a year to shake the bugs out and get a clearer picture of how a new device will work after the beta testers...err.....early adopters have time to use and report back on how it works in the real world.

That's my $0.02,

cayenne

Upvote 0
I'm also wanting to see if this year, what Canon does with regards to a 1DX type mirrorless replacement, to see what they come out with and at what price level.

And by that time, the R5 will have had a couple more firmware releases, etc.

I rarely buy something at the 1.0 release level and tend to give things about a year to shake the bugs out and get a clearer picture of how a new device will work after the beta testers...err.....early adopters have time to use and report back on how it works in the real world.

That's my $0.02,

cayenne

R1, 1-Series mirrorless body, will probably be out ~1 year before the 2024 Olympics with the RF 300/2.8 and RF 500/4.0

My experience with getting the first shipments of the 7D Mark II and me to wait for the first price cut before buying. By then any bugs would have been resolved on the production line or via firmware update.

Upvote 0
Not that grumpy. I just don't see what your point in starting this thread was. Usually people are trying to make a point or foster a discussion. Neither of those reasons seem to apply here.

Why keep banging on with the same agenda in thread after thread and when nobody rises to the bait you start a new, slightly differently worded, thread?

This is a rather unique thread. I never listed the possibly final Canon dSLR bodies.

Prognosticating future MSRPs and production runs are the norm for any rumor site.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I know it's often said the R6 is a replacement for the 6D II, but I just don't see it. The R6 is about double the price I paid for my 6D II (at least where I am, in Australia), and probably more than double the current 6D II price, so to me the R6 is at a completely different price class. As someone who has been a 6D series buyer (I owned the original 6D before the 6D II), I have no interest whatsover in paying the asking price for an R6, and that is all the more so given it has only 20 MP. I understand the R6 has plenty of bells and whistles, and I understand you don't need more than 20 MP for many purposes, but I do like to make large prints from time to time so at this point in the development of digital cameras I have no interest in paying that much money for a 20 MP body, however good it may be in other respects.

The R6 may be a replacement for the 6D II in Canon's line. That does not mean that I would replace my 6D2 with an R6. Those are two different things. I don't really see any need or interest on my part with replacing the 6D2 with anything else. However, if there is a good sale on the 5D IV, I am likely to be tempted to buy one. I'd still use the 6D2 when I needed a tilty flippy screen, but use the 5D IV otherwise. And that is just because I am not spending money on travel and wouldn't miss $1,800 or so in my checking account. The Venus 15mm shift lens is another potential impulse purchase.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
I undertand your point of view and agree with mostly of what you said but consider that the volume of DSC during the years leading to the 2012 6D and 2017 6D Mark II are drastically different to the years leading to 2020 R6. As such they need to do price adjustment to their projected economies of scale to cover their projected expenses.

Prices of cameras, lesnes and accessories will only go up further as volume of DSC will decline.

ltYzNoA.jpg

I would not be surprised if the "R1" or "R5 Mark II" will cost $9,999 and $4,999 respectively by year 2024 or later
I understand your point, but of course as price goes up, the size of the market will tend to shrink further, making it more difficult to get economies of scale. That raises a question over whether it's better to increase prices or to decrease prices to try to increase your market share and even grow the size of the market (at least assuming you would still be making some money on each sale). No doubt Canon has a lot of market data it uses to set its prices so as to try to optimise its profit, so I'm certainly not trying to suggest Canon has the pricing of its R system gear all wrong, but I can say the R system and its prices have been the best treatment for my GAS I've ever come across :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I understand your point, but of course as price goes up, the size of the market will tend to shrink further, making it more difficult to get economies of scale. That raises a question over whether it's better to increase prices or to decrease prices to try to increase your market share and even grow the size of the market (at least assuming you would still be making some money on each sale). No doubt Canon has a lot of market data it uses to set its prices so as to try to optimise its profit, so I'm certainly not trying to suggest Canon has the pricing of its R system gear all wrong, but I can say the R system and its prices have been the best treatment for my GAS I've ever come across :)
By 2025/2026 I expect
  • 0.6 million point & shotos
  • 0.6 million dSLRs
  • 5.8 million mirrorless of which half is Canon
Also have a revised price

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016

- 850D aka Rebel T8i
- 1D X Mark III

- 90D
- 250D aka Rebel SL3

- 6D Mark II***

- 5D Mark IV***
- 80D**
- 1D X Mark II**

- 5Ds R*

- 7D Mark II*

7D Mark II is still available everywhere, with the stock number assigned to it when they started including an WE-1SD Wi-Fi card with every body. The "body only" stock number hasn't been available since late 2016 or early 2017.

Upvote 0
7D Mark II is still available everywhere, with the stock number assigned to it when they started including an WE-1SD Wi-Fi card with every body. The "body only" stock number hasn't been available since late 2016 or early 2017.

I never said it wasn't availale for sale. :)

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
The R6 may be a replacement for the 6D II in Canon's line.
I don’t think it is. Even allowing for the RF price premium the R6 is considerably more expensive than the 6D line and uses the rather lovely sensor form Canon’s top-of-the-range camera. The 6DII used a cheaper or at least older tech sensor (though still perfect fine for virtually any photography) to keep price down and / or market differentiation and is used in the current RP of course.
No, I think we are seeing a split of the resolution (or to be more precise, output size) in cameras that are otherwise pretty much as capable as each other, in the same way as Nikon & Sony have. As the mp of bodies goes higher and higher, and let’s face it they will go to impractical levels whilst the thirst for more mp remains, there’s going to be a growing market for the 20 mp optimum all-rounder, general purpose camera. Look at the lens rentals “top rented items” last year, of the five camera bodies in those items how many were the high mp versions ? Non.
The difference between Canon and Nikon at the moment though is that you have a choice of an ‘up-to-the-minute’ high or normal mp dslr or mirrorless, whereas with Canon if you want the (latest tech) 20mp they are forcing us into mirrorless.
So perhaps as @privatebydesign said a few years ago, maybe Canon know our needs better than we do :)
Even so, as a dslr guy it still hurts a bit.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
...with Canon if you want the (latest tech) 20mp they are forcing us into mirrorless.
So perhaps as @privatebydesign said a few years ago, maybe Canon know our needs better than we do :)
I think Canon knows their own need for revenue and profit best of all. Phone cameras keep improving. ‘New’ customers —first-time ILC buyers— are disappearing as a market. So, Canon must go back to the well of existing ILC owners to drive sales.

Thinking about myself, I have a 1D X and a big collection of EF lenses. I have EOS M bodies and EF-M lenses. I have an EOS R and just one RF lens. I really have no ‘need’ for any new gear.
If Canon can get me fully engaged in the R system they can sell me a bunch of RF lenses. Having the latest tech only in mirrorless might do it.

Upvote 0