Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Just love the color of the Cardinals. Great Shots usern4cr
Thank you, Click & macrunning.
I'm getting better at using PL4 as time goes on. These aren't my latest "post" efforts, and I think my latest are getting more "natural" looking while still bringing out a nice color and brightness - but I'm trying not to overdo it as I did sometimes not too long ago. So many of the photos I take have dark (to silhouette) subjects on bright or bokeh-wise noisy backgrounds that it's really hard to pull a "pretty photo" out of them.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thank you, Click & macrunning.
I'm getting better at using PL4 as time goes on. These aren't my latest "post" efforts, and I think my latest are getting more "natural" looking while still bringing out a nice color and brightness - but I'm trying not to overdo it as I did sometimes not too long ago. So many of the photos I take have dark (to silhouette) subjects on bright or bokeh-wise noisy backgrounds that it's really hard to pull a "pretty photo" out of them.
There seem to be two approaches - enhancing colours vs natural colouring. I always try to have the colours as lifelike as I can remember. Here are some of my Northern Cardinals I took on one of my USA trips (all with the 100-400mm II + 5DSR) - had my second Pfizer today so with luck there will be more trips across the pond soon.

NorthernCardinaFemale_3Q7A3186-DxO-reduced.jpgNorthernCardinal_3Q7A3145-DxO.jpgNorthernCardinal_3Q7A3194-DxO_reduced.jpgCardinalsCopulating_3Q7A3190-DxO_reduced.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
There seem to be two approaches - enhancing colours vs natural colouring. I always try to have the colours as lifelike as I can remember. Here are some of my Northern Cardinals I took on one of my USA trips (all with the 100-400mm II + 5DSR) - had my second Pfizer today so with luck there will be more trips across the pond soon.

View attachment 196778View attachment 196779View attachment 196780View attachment 196781
Beautiful photos, Alan.

The male Northern cardinals I have here are almost too saturated to start with, as they're almost a bright red ball in the photo without any processing - so solid bright red that it's often hard to see the feather contrast. The females aren't as bright, but have a great variety of different colors (not wood-duck colors but still about as colorful as I'll get around here). The Carolina wren is really colorful inherently, as are the male House finches that have a very deep red head & neck area. But there are a lot of other birds that look like, ... , well ordinary birds. That's not a bad thing, but my birds in view are usually in the shaded part of the tree which makes them not nearly as pretty or colorful as they could be - which is where I try to pull out their color even if they're dark with a brighter background further off.

Yesterday my wife and I went out for the first time (this year) on a long nature hike and I took some "birding" photos of a large bird at the top of a tree really high up, and another was of a woodpecker up high & very far away (with no access to get closer). The RF 100-500L also excels at taking close up photos of the small wild flowers (with big background blur) that were all around, which is one of the amazing thing about that lens and the biggest reason I bought it - it's so versatile.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Beautiful photos, Alan.

The male Northern cardinals I have here are almost too saturated to start with, as they're almost a bright red ball in the photo without any processing - so solid bright red that it's often hard to see the feather contrast. The females aren't as bright, but have a great variety of different colors (not wood-duck colors but still about as colorful as I'll get around here). The Carolina wren is really colorful inherently, as are the male House finches that have a very deep red head & neck area. But there are a lot of other birds that look like, ... , well ordinary birds. That's not a bad thing, but my birds in view are usually in the shaded part of the tree which makes them not nearly as pretty or colorful as they could be - which is where I try to pull out their color even if they're dark with a brighter background further off.

Yesterday my wife and I went out for the first time (this year) on a long nature hike and I took some "birding" photos of a large bird at the top of a tree really high up, and another was of a woodpecker up high & very far away (with no access to get closer). The RF 100-500L also excels at taking close up photos of the small wild flowers (with big background blur) that were all around, which is one of the amazing thing about that lens and the biggest reason I bought it - it's so versatile.
For the likes of us, the 100-500mm is perfect - light enough to carry on long hikes, sharp and can take close ups and zoom out. Mind you, the 100-400mm II is in the same league, and I am hanging on to my old lens to go with the 5DSR as my second camera and my wife finds it easy to use.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Bing has a handy website tool to look up varieties of birds. Just add your image and Bing will attempt to local similar images. This generally has links to websites with the type of bird. This is what I typically do when trying to find out the name of a bird. https://www.bing.com/visualsearch
Interesting! I have to check this - at least for a birds that I have no idea what they are! On other hand - I have seen plenty of misidentified photos on the Internet and you easily can get in trouble... Sometimes the differences are so small and the info in the photo is just not enough.
I still think there is nothing better of few good books and careful reading (few books because in every book you may find some small things that can help you in case of doubt!).
Just for example: I don't believe a real ornithologist will use Bing to ID a bird:ROFLMAO:! It needs more than Bing. On other hand Bing I hope can help you to narrow the scope of your search if you use it with grayn of salt and... well you are again in the teritory of the good books!

• Haha
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017

View attachment 196778View attachment 196779View attachment 196780View attachment 196781
I can add plenty of photos of that bird were you don't need to enhance the colors (because we have it here - on the island and it's not anything rare). On other hand every one has his different approach... Like it or not:)!

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Hi Alan.
Has your 5G reception improved more this time than after the first jab? :unsure::unsure:

Cheers, Graham.
PS, Bill knows where you are! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Don't be so fast - there is a lot of uncertainty so far: the things have to be synchronized between the governments and it will take a time (I afraid - a lot of time).
I'm suppose to be fully resistant (ha, ha - don't forget that 5-6%!!!) and still have a problem to think about going to Europe for example - I may have a problem to return!

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
OK, I worked all the Good Friday and few hours into Saturday (I had to... Specifics of the profession...). Today was a day off (compensation, kind of...). Finally got my Wandering Tattler in the breeding plumage (almost or fully complete!). First photo was randomly chosen between many others of "non-breeding". The second is from today - finally! It's not rare migrant here but up to now I always had a photos taken from a lot of distance for the "breeders)! Compare the birds - it's the same species!Tringa incana 4_DxO.jpgDSC_4474_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Interesting! I have to check this - at least for a birds that I have no idea what they are! On other hand - I have seen plenty of misidentified photos on the Internet and you easily can get in trouble... Sometimes the differences are so small and the info in the photo is just not enough.
I still think there is nothing better of few good books and careful reading (few books because in every book you may find some small things that can help you in case of doubt!).
Just for example: I don't believe a real ornithologist will use Bing to ID a bird:ROFLMAO:! It needs more than Bing. On other hand Bing I hope can help you to narrow the scope of your search if you use it with grayn of salt and... well you are again in the teritory of the good books!
Bingo, you hit it on the head. :D

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Don't be so fast - there is a lot of uncertainty so far: the things have to be synchronized between the governments and it will take a time (I afraid - a lot of time).
I'm suppose to be fully resistant (ha, ha - don't forget that 5-6%!!!) and still have a problem to think about going to Europe for example - I may have a problem to return!
Oops. sorry - it has to be a comment to Alan's comment not to your comment... Damn it! - after that much comments I forgot what I'm going to comment on :mad:!!!

• Haha
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Now that Spring has finally arrived here in the PNW we are starting to get a nice variety of birds. This little Pine Siskin decided to drop in yesterday. They are hard to distinguish from the female House Finch. The beak is the giveaway but you can also spot a bit of yellow on the Pine Siskin's wings.View attachment 196767
The beak is there... I don't want to speculate about the yellows on the wings (simply because I don't see it on the photos!). But the forked tail is there and I can see it clear! Don't restrict your comparison to what you read in "All about birds" - they are taking short cuts time to time: because the "long ways" are really long and need some knowledge from the person who is doing it!

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Bing has a handy website tool to look up varieties of birds. Just add your image and Bing will attempt to local similar images. This generally has links to websites with the type of bird. This is what I typically do when trying to find out the name of a bird. https://www.bing.com/visualsearch
Thanks for the link to Bing, macrunning. But I do have this question about it: When you upload a photo (for name recognition purposes) does it go into their photos which can be seen by others? If so, is there a control to disable that?

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I'm hoping that those seeing this can help me out? I've been asked to hang 8 photos for display in my little town's gallery over the summer. I have one (my kitten Ollie) going in for sure, and I'm going to use my bird photos for the remaining 7. I have 14 bird photos that I think might be the best received, so I have to choose 7 and not use the other 7. Some of my choices you've already seen, and some I haven't yet sent out. I'll post all 14 here (in 2 posts since we're limited to posting 10 per post) with numbers on the photos.

If you have the time to respond, let me know which are your favorites (or worst ones), or which 7 you think are best to show. I'd really like your feedback since my wife and I have different favorites (as others probably would, too).

A01_5363_crdnlDark.jpg

A01_8218_chikadBaklit.jpg

A01_8678_cardnlWingLit.jpg

A01_9755_carolinaWren.jpg

#5A01_9993_titmouse.jpg

A02_0977_WitThrtSprow.jpg

A02_2636_cardnl2Wing.jpg

A02_2643_doveSkrtUp.jpg

A02_2702_cardnl1Wing.jpg

A02_3874_FCardinal.jpg

(#11:14 will be in the next post)

Last edited: