Show your Bird Portraits

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Another beautiful series. I really like your pictures. Well done, usern4cr.
I'd go for 13 and 14, which stand out for me.
Thanks Click and AlanF. It's not everyday you get a heavy ice storm. Ours was a doozie, taking down tree branches & sometimes trees. After it hit there weren't any birds anywhere that I could see. It took them a while to come back - I'm guessing the flew Southward, as you didn't have to go far before it became warm enough to avoid the thick ice covering everything.

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
R5 1.6x crop mode
Very nice pictures, Cog. I've never thought of using the 1.6x crop mode before. In addition to the more zoomed in image displayed and the smaller file, can you still get a smaller raw file or cRaw file with it? And can you assign a button to toggle between crop and regular mode or do you have to go through the menu system for it?

Dockland

EOS M6 Mark II
Nov 14, 2019
Sweden
I liked this one. R5 eye autofocus/tracking does it's thing :)

20210407_18_26_41_0300-3.jpg

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I liked this one. R5 eye autofocus/tracking does it's thing :)

View attachment 196817
Beautiful colors, Dockland! The animal eye AF is maybe the best thing (to me) on the R5. I've just given the focusing to the camera and am glad I can have a back button focus for single spot and another for eye AF. It works great most of the time. When it doesn't I'm sure the QP AF in a future body will fix that and work perfectly almost all the time! I think the QP will be a big enough step that I might wait until one of the bodies finally comes with it for a 2nd body.

AlanF

Stay at home
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Beautiful colors, Dockland! The animal eye AF is maybe the best thing (to me) on the R5. I've just given the focusing to the camera and am glad I can have a back button focus for single spot and another for eye AF. It works great most of the time. When it doesn't I'm sure the QP AF in a future body will fix that and work perfectly almost all the time! I think the QP will be a big enough step that I might wait until one of the bodies finally comes with it for a 2nd body.
Same here about the eyeAF, but in addition it's the ability to lock on to a bird and track it swimming far away. My DSLRs are still great for BIF.

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Same here about the eyeAF, but in addition it's the ability to lock on to a bird and track it swimming far away. My DSLRs are still great for BIF.
Yes, I include the "lock & tracking" part in with the animal eye AF in general. But it is an additional task besides the initial locating. I agree that it's really great on the R5! (or more like "totally stunning!"). I can't wait to see how much better their QP AF is! I don't really care about MP above 45MP - I'll take it or leave it, but just give me QP AF next!!!!

You've been into BIF way more than me. I'll try to get into it in the future, once I'm out traveling to where I can see more variety than just my back yard feeder area. But I know it's a LOT harder, and so the tracking is way more important with BIF than BNF (birds NOT flying!) ;)

Reactions: Dockland

Cog

EOS RP
Dec 6, 2013
Qatar
Very nice shots, Cog. I especially like the second one.
Thank you, Click!
Very nice pictures, Cog. I've never thought of using the 1.6x crop mode before. In addition to the more zoomed in image displayed and the smaller file, can you still get a smaller raw file or cRaw file with it? And can you assign a button to toggle between crop and regular mode or do you have to go through the menu system for it?
Thank you! Technically, it should be the same output with a cropped file or a crop mode (I'm assuming) but you're right, it's sometimes convenient to see a bigger picture in a viewfinder. I haven't tried cRAW yet, but I hear people who use it find no visible difference. So I'll give it a try. And yes, I assigned the FULL-Crop function in the menu to the DOF button.

Reactions: usern4cr

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Normally I don't promote any apps. But this here is great (available for both, andriod and iOS; I linked to AppStore):
BirdNET , bird song identification.
BirdNET is a joint project of the Cornell Lab of Ornithology and Chemnitz University of Technology.

Without it, it would have been much more difficult for me to determine this little dunnock (prunella modularis) and its beautiful song :)

Dunnock_2.JPG

Dunnock_1.JPG

AlanF

Stay at home
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Normally I don't promote any apps. But this here is great (available for both, andriod and iOS; I linked to AppStore):
BirdNET , bird song identification.
BirdNET is a joint project of the Cornell Lab of Ornithology and Chemnitz University of Technology.

Without it, it would have been much more difficult for me to determine this little dunnock (prunella modularis) and its beautiful song :)

View attachment 196823

View attachment 196822
Collins Bird Guide has songs and calls for every bird in it. It's my go to.

Reactions: ISv
<-- start Taboola -->