Show your Bird Portraits

Cog

Dec 6, 2013
Qatar
Very nice shots, Cog. I especially like the second one.
Thank you, Click!
Very nice pictures, Cog. I've never thought of using the 1.6x crop mode before. In addition to the more zoomed in image displayed and the smaller file, can you still get a smaller raw file or cRaw file with it? And can you assign a button to toggle between crop and regular mode or do you have to go through the menu system for it?
Thank you! Technically, it should be the same output with a cropped file or a crop mode (I'm assuming) but you're right, it's sometimes convenient to see a bigger picture in a viewfinder. I haven't tried cRAW yet, but I hear people who use it find no visible difference. So I'll give it a try. And yes, I assigned the FULL-Crop function in the menu to the DOF button.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Normally I don't promote any apps. But this here is great (available for both, andriod and iOS; I linked to AppStore):
BirdNET , bird song identification.
BirdNET is a joint project of the Cornell Lab of Ornithology and Chemnitz University of Technology.

Without it, it would have been much more difficult for me to determine this little dunnock (prunella modularis) and its beautiful song :)

Dunnock_2.JPG

Dunnock_1.JPG

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Normally I don't promote any apps. But this here is great (available for both, andriod and iOS; I linked to AppStore):
BirdNET , bird song identification.
BirdNET is a joint project of the Cornell Lab of Ornithology and Chemnitz University of Technology.

Without it, it would have been much more difficult for me to determine this little dunnock (prunella modularis) and its beautiful song :)

View attachment 196823

View attachment 196822
Collins Bird Guide has songs and calls for every bird in it. It's my go to.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I've never seen so much color saturation like in these pics of a blue tit.
It was a bright sunny day, like lots before. So really good light. But never before the colors of a blue tit have been so jazzy before. :)
In post I only adapted the WB to day, did some reframing, and slight sharpening. But no change to saturation or contrast.
So color is OOC.

Blue-tit_6.JPG

Blue-tit_5.JPG Blue-tit_7.JPG Blue-tit_8.JPG

Edit: and - I just forgot - in the end it's turning its back on me :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I'd like to thank all those that gave me feedback on their preferred bird photos of mine to frame & hang (along with others) in our little town's gallery for the summer. I'm new to this all and honored to be part of it. I've never sold a single piece, but the kind feedback on them is reward enough.

I've got the voter's top 7 printed out and wanted to mention what everyone's preferences was. The number of votes for each is shown below and the photos are re-shown (in thumbnails) respectively. (note: photo #1 was taken at ISO 12,800 so I've re-done it to (hopefully) look a little better with less noise)

Photo: 1, 14, 5
Votes: 17, 17, 15
A01_5363_1crdnlDark.jpg A03_0932_14YngLuv.jpg A01_9993_5titmouse.jpg

Photo: 07, 10, 12, 3
Votes: 13, 12, 12, 10
A02_2636_7cardnl2Wng.jpg A02_3874_10FCardinal.jpg A03_0378_12chikad_ice.jpg A01_8678_3cardnlWing.jpg

The remaining 7 were:
Photo: 13, 9, 8, 4, 11, 2, 6
Votes: 07, 6, 5, 4, 04, 2, 0

For those interested, the "8th" framed photo I'm putting up is of Ollie, a year ago when just a wee kitten (from my Oly EM1_II camera)
as seen in the thread: https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/threads/jolly-ollie-advent-calendar-2020.39772/
P6060253_OllieTuckered.jpg

Thanks again.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Another beautiful series, usern4cr. Well done.

I love your cat.
a078.gif

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I'd like to thank all those that gave me feedback on their preferred bird photos of mine to frame & hang (along with others) in our little town's gallery for the summer. I'm new to this all and honored to be part of it. I've never sold a single piece, but the kind feedback on them is reward enough.

I've got the voter's top 7 printed out and wanted to mention what everyone's preferences was. The number of votes for each is shown below and the photos are re-shown (in thumbnails) respectively. (note: photo #1 was taken at ISO 12,800 so I've re-done it to (hopefully) look a little better with less noise)

Photo: 1, 14, 5
Votes: 17, 17, 15
View attachment 196834 View attachment 196835 View attachment 196836

Photo: 07, 10, 12, 3
Votes: 13, 12, 12, 10
View attachment 196837 View attachment 196838 View attachment 196839 View attachment 196840

The remaining 7 were:
Photo: 13, 9, 8, 4, 11, 2, 6
Votes: 07, 6, 5, 4, 04, 2, 0

For those interested, the "8th" framed photo I'm putting up is of Ollie, a year ago when just a wee kitten (from my Oly EM1_II camera)
as seen in the thread: https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/threads/jolly-ollie-advent-calendar-2020.39772/
View attachment 196841

Thanks again.
I really hesitate to offer critical commentary and I wouldn't if it were not for the fact that what I'm going to say was directed my way here in the forum about 8 years ago by a pretty knowledgeable individual. Many bird lovers like me also suffer from GAS. We tend to put all our focus on our subject such as how sharp it is, how much detail in the eyelashes, how brilliant the colours and so forth and... possibly neglect the composition, which is more than just the bird. I was told to not crop so tightly on the bird; allow it to have some context, particularly if there are interesting shapes or elements in the photo that will actually direct the viewers eye to the subject. Along with that is the general comment of not always placing the subject in the centre of the photo. Of course these are just guidelines, not hard and fast rules and of course we still live in a free society where we can be individuals. FWIW Of course, I like these photos in case that might be in doubt.

Jack

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Cog

Dec 6, 2013
Qatar
I really hesitate to offer critical commentary and I wouldn't if it were not for the fact that what I'm going to say was directed my way here in the forum about 8 years ago by a pretty knowledgeable individual. Many bird lovers like me also suffer from GAS. We tend to put all our focus on our subject such as how sharp it is, how much detail in the eyelashes, how brilliant the colours and so forth and... possibly neglect the composition, which is more than just the bird. I was told to not crop so tightly on the bird; allow it to have some context, particularly if there are interesting shapes or elements in the photo that will actually direct the viewers eye to the subject. Along with that is the general comment of not always placing the subject in the centre of the photo. Of course these are just guidelines, not hard and fast rules and of course we still live in a free society where we can be individuals. FWIW Of course, I like these photos in case that might be in doubt.

Jack
Totally agree! My personal two pence is to try avoiding too many branches in the photo. Branches can make a nice frame, but not a background. This recommendation will make bird photography a more challenging activity, but it's worth it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0