Show your Bird Portraits

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks, ISv. Ice & snow are a rarity here, so I tried to take hours of bird photos with it while I could.
Funny, yesterday I was out with a light jacket (+8C) in the sun on dry earth visiting my pair of Canada geese who appear to be planning to nest, perhaps once again on my playhouse roof. And then I heard thunder and saw ominous clouds and within an hour the snow was falling like crazy. Now it's morning and I'm heading out with the camera - everything is laden with snow and ice and it's -3C. No rarity here but still beautiful. This is not today's shot but with some luck, maybe I can match it

Attachments

• Frosty_21717.JPG
    Frosty_21717.JPG
    325 KB · Views: 39

AlanF

Stay at home
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Funny, yesterday I was out with a light jacket (+8C) in the sun on dry earth visiting my pair of Canada geese who appear to be planning to nest, perhaps once again on my playhouse roof. And then I heard thunder and saw ominous clouds and within an hour the snow was falling like crazy. Now it's morning and I'm heading out with the camera - everything is laden with snow and ice and it's -3C. No rarity here but still beautiful. This is not today's shot but with some luck, maybe I can match it
Beautiful composition!

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I'm all for everyone taking pictures for whatever reason they choose. Hiking is good exercise and why not with a camera!! However, if someone were to mention selling their pictures I would assume that they want their pictures to appeal to a broad audience (more sales) and be striking (more sales) and this then presupposes an interest in composition. I happen to be burdened with an upbringing that was always pushing me to perfection and so my perspective is influenced by that - I often wish it were not. :cry:

Jack

StoicalEtcher

EOS RP
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Yorkshire
Excellent shot Jack - really lovely. With no disrespect intended to others, for me it's one of the best shots on this thread, and I've been through from page one (over the years).

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Excellent shot Jack - really lovely. With no disrespect intended to others, for me it's one of the best shots on this thread, and I've been through from page one (over the years).
That's quite the compliment. I'll take it even if it's not quite that deserving. :unsure: I'd hate to be seen as trying to make out friendly interactions competitive.

I did get a couple of shots in the snow on my brief walk earlier today
Canada Goose_s_59226.JPG
but I think the birds must be waiting for it to melt and hiding out.

Jack

AlanF

Stay at home
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I'm all for everyone taking pictures for whatever reason they choose. Hiking is good exercise and why not with a camera!! However, if someone were to mention selling their pictures I would assume that they want their pictures to appeal to a broad audience (more sales) and be striking (more sales) and this then presupposes an interest in composition. I happen to be burdened with an upbringing that was always pushing me to perfection and so my perspective is influenced by that - I often wish it were not. :cry:

Jack
If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
No, if a thing is not worth doing make sure you do it badly. Consistency! This guy is not sure it's worth doing. He hung there like this for at least 10 minutes, even as I walked around the other side. I think he's depressed given the other side of the stump is a mass of snow!

Jack View attachment 196865
Excellent shots Jack - you match the older one!

Reactions: Jack Douglas

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Excellent shots Jack - you match the older one!
I was thinking maybe you were referring to the chickadee being posted some time back - it could have been. Here is another from the same general time that I also might have posted - I'm losing track with so many not being properly identified. I'm reprocessing some because back in the day I would push the shadow and highlight sliders too much, not realizing how I was killing the contrast.
Chickadee_24790.JPG

Jack

AlanF

Stay at home
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Cold but sunny here this morning. European Goldfinch (R5/100-500).

View attachment 196872
Posting this brought back memories of a lovely day in Peggy's Cove in NS when I was entertained by an American Goldfinch, taken with a Tamron 150-600mm on my 5DIII. Reprocessing with modern software has made the images more crisp. The old Tammy is a pretty good lens and a real breakthrough for cheap but quality long telephotos.

2U4A8984-DxO_American_Goldfinch-lssm.jpeg
2U4A8990-DxO_American_Goldfinch-lssm.jpeg

HenryL

EOS R5
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
Still struggling a bit on photographing the little birds, but, well, here we are. The morning started out with rain, but I did get out as soon as it cleared up so the light was a bit harsh this outing. Found this little guy near the parking lot and he obliged by posing for a few portraits in the harsh mid-morning light.

R5_101_8982.jpg

<-- start Taboola -->