Show your Bird Portraits

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Posting this brought back memories of a lovely day in Peggy's Cove in NS when I was entertained by an American Goldfinch, taken with a Tamron 150-600mm on my 5DIII. Reprocessing with modern software has made the images more crisp. The old Tammy is a pretty good lens and a real breakthrough for cheap but quality long telephotos.

View attachment 196912 View attachment 196913
It's not often that the background flower in a beautiful bird shot is also beautiful and in focus - but you did it this time! Well done!

FamilyGuy

EOS 90D
Feb 5, 2020
More birds with the RF 600 f/11 at Sanibel Island, Florida. Pipers, I think?

3E7A3EA0-6623-4EE6-AA0C-971BF6D1D40F.jpeg
B97025C1-F476-4149-A2A6-8E767D62B33E.jpeg
895351ED-96F4-4F26-A4A8-6133CD28F154.jpeg
C0E85EAC-E3CC-40E3-BA25-16A4A834CC10.jpeg

pape2

EOS 90D
Mar 19, 2021
I was lurking on seashore yesterday.
Two crane landed like 30meter from me. Shooted it on flight and another when it made spring scream.
Then slowly lowered camera and just watched what they doing ,bad place to take pictures ,lot of reeds wawing on wind.
Obviously they were totally unaware of me, watched them treating their feathers like 5min.
Raised camera slowly again looked through like 1min and changed spot autofocus, they continued what they were doing.
Then shooted like 3 fast shot,and immediately cranes raised their heads and freezed to look around.
I think shutter sound freaked them out.
Now they stalked around nervous and made usual alarm shouts and fled away couple min later.
I think silent shutter matters when shooting truelly wild birds on close ranges without blind.
Sorry about bad pics just wanted to prove they dont like shutter sound. :p

Attachments

• kurki1.JPG
    kurki1.JPG
    548.1 KB · Views: 22
  • kurki2.JPG
    kurki2.JPG
    678.3 KB · Views: 17
  • kurki3.JPG
    kurki3.JPG
    708 KB · Views: 17
  • kurki4.JPG
    kurki4.JPG
    600.5 KB · Views: 18
  • kurki5.JPG
    kurki5.JPG
    608.6 KB · Views: 18
  • kurki6.JPG
    kurki6.JPG
    662.3 KB · Views: 22
  • kurki7.JPG
    kurki7.JPG
    682.8 KB · Views: 22

AlanF

Stay at home
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I was lurking on seashore yesterday.
Two crane landed like 30meter from me. Shooted it on flight and another when it made spring scream.
Then slowly lowered camera and just watched what they doing ,bad place to take pictures ,lot of reeds wawing on wind.
Obviously they were totally unaware of me, watched them treating their feathers like 5min.
Raised camera slowly again looked through like 1min and changed spot autofocus, they continued what they were doing.
Then shooted like 3 fast shot,and immediately cranes raised their heads and freezed to look around.
I think shutter sound freaked them out.
Now they stalked around nervous and made usual alarm shouts and fled away couple min later.
I think silent shutter matters when shooting truelly wild birds on close ranges without blind.
Sorry about bad pics just wanted to prove they dont like shutter sound. :p
The completely silent shutter for ES on the R5 is eerie. I have gone back to the EFCS, which is almost silent. Definitely an improvement in sound over the old mechanical, some of which sounded like motorbikes.

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
The completely silent shutter for ES on the R5 is eerie. I have gone back to the EFCS, which is almost silent. Definitely an improvement in sound over the old mechanical, some of which sounded like motorbikes.
I have gone back to EFCS, because full ES has:
* a forced 20 FPS photo rate - too many almost identical photos to wade through. They need to have (at minimum) a high/mid/low FPS setting to let user decide what they want.
* a loss of 2 stops (to my understanding) of IQ (this I can live with for truly silent operation)
Canon needs to issue a firmware update with user FPS settings with ES. Then I'd be OK with using it.

But I think EFCS is still quite loud (which I know can't be changed), and (I find) it does still scare away birds.

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I have gone back to EFCS, because full ES has:
* a forced 20 FPS photo rate - too many almost identical photos to wade through. They need to have (at minimum) a high/mid/low FPS setting to let user decide what they want.
* a loss of 2 stops (to my understanding) of IQ (this I can live with for truly silent operation)
Canon needs to issue a firmware update with user FPS settings with ES. Then I'd be OK with using it.

But I think EFCS is still quite loud (which I know can't be changed), and (I find) it does still scare away birds.
My 1DX2 allows the user to set the number of shots on a shutter press. I gather you're saying the R5 has no such control. Reducing the FPS from 20 seems desirable but for me shooting at 14 FPS if there was action was what I wanted not less, so around a second's worth or so. Any thoughts? My R5 is now in the mail.

Jack

Reactions: usern4cr

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
My 1DX2 allows the user to set the number of shots on a shutter press. I gather you're saying the R5 has no such control. Reducing the FPS from 20 seems desirable but for me shooting at 14 FPS if there was action was what I wanted not less, so around a second's worth or so. Any thoughts? My R5 is now in the mail.

Jack
Well, it's a trivially simple thing to allow the user to specify the FPS rate they want in a menu setting. Either hi/mid/lo or just let them enter a # directly or rotate through a menu with more options (like they have for shutter speed or aperture or ISO or EV offset). It's such a simple choice to offer that I'm amazed that they don't do it, especially since it's just a pure software patch they could add to a future firmware update. Also, they have the hi/mid/lo setting already working when *not* in full ES mode, and when you switch your mode to ES then why can't they just keep the hi/mid/lo setting you already entered? That's the obvious & easy solution. It's such a DUH! issue that it's embarrassing to not fix it.

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Magpies!
I have a really ambivalent relatonship to them:
They look really beautiful, but when they sing...
I am absoutely fascinated by their intelligence, but it's horrifying how they use it when they go nesting...
And I remember one spring in my childhood when a gang of about ten of them went through my neighbourhood and that year I never heard any bird singing again, because all that survived had fled.
(I know that is just nature, but...)

Magpie_1.JPG

Magpie_2.JPG

AlanF

Stay at home
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Magpies!
I am absoutely fascinated by their intelligence, but it's horrifying how they use it when they go nesting...
And I remember one spring in my childhood when a gang of about ten of them went through my neighbourhood and that year I never heard any bird singing again, because all that survived had fled.

View attachment 196979

View attachment 196980
The b****s predated the Longtailed Tits nest in my garden. I don't like them.

Reactions: ISv

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Magpies!

View attachment 196979

View attachment 196980
How well I relate. As a child I scaled a poplar tree to the height of the nest (very high), reached in and had fun throwing the eggs. Later on, it was my 22 that was used against them (with limited success). One day I caught a baby and brought it home, suggesting it was going to become my pet. My father would hear non of it and I ended up ... In case you're concerned, I would never have the heart to do such things now. :cry: The sound of a young family is something else! Nice shots!

Jack

<-- start Taboola -->