Show your Bird Portraits

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Magpies!
I have a really ambivalent relatonship to them:
They look really beautiful, but when they sing...
I am absoutely fascinated by their intelligence, but it's horrifying how they use it when they go nesting...
And I remember one spring in my childhood when a gang of about ten of them went through my neighbourhood and that year I never heard any bird singing again, because all that survived had fled.
(I know that is just nature, but...)

Magpie_1.JPG

Magpie_2.JPG

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Magpies!
I am absoutely fascinated by their intelligence, but it's horrifying how they use it when they go nesting...
And I remember one spring in my childhood when a gang of about ten of them went through my neighbourhood and that year I never heard any bird singing again, because all that survived had fled.

View attachment 196979

View attachment 196980
The b****s predated the Longtailed Tits nest in my garden. I don't like them.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Magpies!

View attachment 196979

View attachment 196980
How well I relate. As a child I scaled a poplar tree to the height of the nest (very high), reached in and had fun throwing the eggs. Later on, it was my 22 that was used against them (with limited success). One day I caught a baby and brought it home, suggesting it was going to become my pet. My father would hear non of it and I ended up ... In case you're concerned, I would never have the heart to do such things now. :cry: The sound of a young family is something else! Nice shots!

Jack

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Magpies!
Hi Maximilian.
The mafia of the bird world!
Nice shots.

Cheers, Graham.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
So "now for something completely different":
Yet another blue tit series. This time in a chestnut tree and it was singing really lovely (last pic):

Lovely shots.
d055.gif
. Nicely done.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0