Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
No, if a thing is not worth doing make sure you do it badly. Consistency! This guy is not sure it's worth doing. He hung there like this for at least 10 minutes, even as I walked around the other side. I think he's depressed given the other side of the stump is a mass of snow!

JackView attachment 196865
Excellent shots Jack - you match the older one!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Excellent shots Jack - you match the older one!
I was thinking maybe you were referring to the chickadee being posted some time back - it could have been. Here is another from the same general time that I also might have posted - I'm losing track with so many not being properly identified. I'm reprocessing some because back in the day I would push the shadow and highlight sliders too much, not realizing how I was killing the contrast. Chickadee_24790.JPG

Jack

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Cold but sunny here this morning. European Goldfinch (R5/100-500).

View attachment 196872
Posting this brought back memories of a lovely day in Peggy's Cove in NS when I was entertained by an American Goldfinch, taken with a Tamron 150-600mm on my 5DIII. Reprocessing with modern software has made the images more crisp. The old Tammy is a pretty good lens and a real breakthrough for cheap but quality long telephotos.

2U4A8984-DxO_American_Goldfinch-lssm.jpeg2U4A8990-DxO_American_Goldfinch-lssm.jpeg

• Love
Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
Still struggling a bit on photographing the little birds, but, well, here we are. The morning started out with rain, but I did get out as soon as it cleared up so the light was a bit harsh this outing. Found this little guy near the parking lot and he obliged by posing for a few portraits in the harsh mid-morning light.

R5_101_8982.jpg

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Lovely shot, henryL.
d055.gif

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Posting this brought back memories of a lovely day in Peggy's Cove in NS when I was entertained by an American Goldfinch, taken with a Tamron 150-600mm on my 5DIII. Reprocessing with modern software has made the images more crisp. The old Tammy is a pretty good lens and a real breakthrough for cheap but quality long telephotos.

View attachment 196912View attachment 196913
It's not often that the background flower in a beautiful bird shot is also beautiful and in focus - but you did it this time! Well done!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I was lurking on seashore yesterday.
Two crane landed like 30meter from me. Shooted it on flight and another when it made spring scream.
Then slowly lowered camera and just watched what they doing ,bad place to take pictures ,lot of reeds wawing on wind.
Obviously they were totally unaware of me, watched them treating their feathers like 5min.
Raised camera slowly again looked through like 1min and changed spot autofocus, they continued what they were doing.
Then shooted like 3 fast shot,and immediately cranes raised their heads and freezed to look around.
I think shutter sound freaked them out.
Now they stalked around nervous and made usual alarm shouts and fled away couple min later.
I think silent shutter matters when shooting truelly wild birds on close ranges without blind.
Sorry about bad pics just wanted to prove they dont like shutter sound. :p

Attachments

• kurki1.JPG
    kurki1.JPG
    548.1 KB · Views: 97
  • kurki2.JPG
    kurki2.JPG
    678.3 KB · Views: 103
  • kurki3.JPG
    kurki3.JPG
    708 KB · Views: 94
  • kurki4.JPG
    kurki4.JPG
    600.5 KB · Views: 98
  • kurki5.JPG
    kurki5.JPG
    608.6 KB · Views: 96
  • kurki6.JPG
    kurki6.JPG
    662.3 KB · Views: 108
  • kurki7.JPG
    kurki7.JPG
    682.8 KB · Views: 108
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I was lurking on seashore yesterday.
Two crane landed like 30meter from me. Shooted it on flight and another when it made spring scream.
Then slowly lowered camera and just watched what they doing ,bad place to take pictures ,lot of reeds wawing on wind.
Obviously they were totally unaware of me, watched them treating their feathers like 5min.
Raised camera slowly again looked through like 1min and changed spot autofocus, they continued what they were doing.
Then shooted like 3 fast shot,and immediately cranes raised their heads and freezed to look around.
I think shutter sound freaked them out.
Now they stalked around nervous and made usual alarm shouts and fled away couple min later.
I think silent shutter matters when shooting truelly wild birds on close ranges without blind.
Sorry about bad pics just wanted to prove they dont like shutter sound. :p
The completely silent shutter for ES on the R5 is eerie. I have gone back to the EFCS, which is almost silent. Definitely an improvement in sound over the old mechanical, some of which sounded like motorbikes.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
The completely silent shutter for ES on the R5 is eerie. I have gone back to the EFCS, which is almost silent. Definitely an improvement in sound over the old mechanical, some of which sounded like motorbikes.
I have gone back to EFCS, because full ES has:
* a forced 20 FPS photo rate - too many almost identical photos to wade through. They need to have (at minimum) a high/mid/low FPS setting to let user decide what they want.
* a loss of 2 stops (to my understanding) of IQ (this I can live with for truly silent operation)
Canon needs to issue a firmware update with user FPS settings with ES. Then I'd be OK with using it.

But I think EFCS is still quite loud (which I know can't be changed), and (I find) it does still scare away birds.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I have gone back to EFCS, because full ES has:
* a forced 20 FPS photo rate - too many almost identical photos to wade through. They need to have (at minimum) a high/mid/low FPS setting to let user decide what they want.
* a loss of 2 stops (to my understanding) of IQ (this I can live with for truly silent operation)
Canon needs to issue a firmware update with user FPS settings with ES. Then I'd be OK with using it.

But I think EFCS is still quite loud (which I know can't be changed), and (I find) it does still scare away birds.
My 1DX2 allows the user to set the number of shots on a shutter press. I gather you're saying the R5 has no such control. Reducing the FPS from 20 seems desirable but for me shooting at 14 FPS if there was action was what I wanted not less, so around a second's worth or so. Any thoughts? My R5 is now in the mail.

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
My 1DX2 allows the user to set the number of shots on a shutter press. I gather you're saying the R5 has no such control. Reducing the FPS from 20 seems desirable but for me shooting at 14 FPS if there was action was what I wanted not less, so around a second's worth or so. Any thoughts? My R5 is now in the mail.

Jack
Well, it's a trivially simple thing to allow the user to specify the FPS rate they want in a menu setting. Either hi/mid/lo or just let them enter a # directly or rotate through a menu with more options (like they have for shutter speed or aperture or ISO or EV offset). It's such a simple choice to offer that I'm amazed that they don't do it, especially since it's just a pure software patch they could add to a future firmware update. Also, they have the hi/mid/lo setting already working when *not* in full ES mode, and when you switch your mode to ES then why can't they just keep the hi/mid/lo setting you already entered? That's the obvious & easy solution. It's such a DUH! issue that it's embarrassing to not fix it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0