Show your Bird Portraits

Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Very nice pictures, usern4cr. I especially like the White Throated Sparrow.
a025.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Must admit I hadn't realised that. Been going there on odd occasions for about 40 years too! Shows how unobservant I can be sometimes.
Most people wouldn’t know because you can’t tell by looking at them. I checked it out because I wondered why they were residents. Many of the birds in the park are similarly clipped.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Very nice pictures, usern4cr. I especially like the White Throated Sparrow.
a025.gif
Thanks, Click. That's one of my favorites, too. It must be brutally cold to be a bird in Winter (sez the man taking photos while comfy in his warm home, but hopefully that safflower seed through the winter made it a bit easier).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Monte

EOS R3
CR Pro
Jul 7, 2013
ALBERTA, CANADA
Wow, 4-5 ft away in plain sight is pretty awesome in your front yard!
I’ve had White Breasted Nuthatches land on my bald head from behind. I tell you that’s a freaky startling feeling, and to manage to not move enough to scare it off is another challenge LOL. Those little claws are sharp.
I also get chickadee’s landing on my camera and a few times inside the hood on my 400 2.8.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I’ve had White Breasted Nuthatches land on my bald head from behind. I tell you that’s a freaky startling feeling, and to manage to not move enough to scare it off is another challenge LOL. Those little claws are sharp.
I also get chickadee’s landing on my camera and a few times inside the hood on my 400 2.8.
LOL!!! I can't imagine being surprised with a bird landing on my bald head from behind - with little sharp claws - and being able to NOT move so as to not scare it off! Yow-za! :ROFLMAO:

Now, I *can* understand your 400 2.8 hood being big enough for chickadees to land inside! That's pretty funny, too!

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
LOL!!! I can't imagine being surprised with a bird landing on my bald head from behind - with little sharp claws - and being able to NOT move so as to not scare it off! Yow-za! :ROFLMAO:

Now, I *can* understand your 400 2.8 hood being big enough for chickadees to land inside! That's pretty funny, too!
Aeschylus, the Father of Greek Tragedy, was killed by a tortoise which was dropped by an eagle that had mistaken his bald head for a rock suitable for shattering the shell of the reptile. So, restrict yourself to shooting finches and cardinals and avoid eagles!

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Aeschylus, the Father of Greek Tragedy, was killed by a tortoise which was dropped by an eagle that had mistaken his bald head for a rock suitable for shattering the shell of the reptile. So, restrict yourself to shooting finches and cardinals and avoid eagles!
Brilliant!! :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

jmeyer

http://www.jeremymeyer.photography
CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
Wow, some very nice photos have been posted the last few weeks! I've been rather busy lately, so haven't had the time to edit many photos, but I still have been out shooting. In Wisconsin a Cinnamon Teal is rare, but we've had a few blow in the last couple weeks. I had to run out to Madison area, three times to see it! I'm sure glad I did though, as he is a beautiful bird! I also found a Blue-winged x Cinnamon hybrid, which is also rare and really cool! Since it took me three tries to see it, I also stumbled across several other ducks as well. 7D mkll / EF 600 F4 ll / 1.4x lll

Jeremy

Blue-winged Teal
Blue-winged x Cinnamon Teal Hybrid
Cinnamon Teal
Common Loon
Green-winged Teal

Blue-winged Teal (male-spring) 101.jpgBlue-winged x Cinnamon Teal Hybird (male) 103.jpgCinnamon Teal (male-spring) 100.jpgCinnamon Teal (male-spring) 102.jpgCinnamon Teal (male-spring) 108.jpgCommon Loon (spring) 102.jpgGreen-winged Teal (female-spring) 103.jpgGreen-winged Teal (male-spring) 104.jpg

Reactions: 15 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Yesterday I made a chaperone to a guy who wanted to see some birds around. Got an opportunity to try my lens for BIF. This Red-tailed Tropic bird is from 74.99 meters away. 3 pixels more than 100% crop:).
And baby White-rump Shama - first time I see one on the ground (adults are frequently feeding on the ground but babies are suppose to stay on the trees). I hope it survives...

DSC_6273_DxO-1.jpgDSC_6327_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 17 users
Upvote 0