I may have been wrong about the EOS R3 official announcement date

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Wait until July 22. A day before opening ceremonies sounds like a perfect date to me. There will be plenty of units and lens at the Olympic support facility as was the case in Rio 2016. No lead time for any competitive response. The camera is already in the hands of many. All that is required is the final release firmware update.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Maybe a delay means Canon is reconsidering 30 MP. My R5 and 5DS really have me appreciating 45-50 MP and the R5 has me appreciating lots of speedy pixels even more. Yeah, I know, thousands of 30 MP sensors have probably already been run off as have an equal number of Digics, but one can dream.
The megapixels of the sensor was baked in from the get go. There is no possible way that could be changed now. All the speed of circuitry and the processing is based on how much data is coming down the pipe from the sensor. Putting a bigger senor in at the last minute would be like trying to fly a four person Cessna with 8 people in it.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Shes a canon ambassador, I don't know if reviewers will have one yet tbh. It seems the ambassadors get hands on first then reviewers.
Had Sony faked out. They announced a firmware release for late tonight..Hopefully to fix the A1 EVF blackout issue and other fixes, before opening ceremonies. If they can fix that one at all.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
No issues with me. It is unreasonable for once to expect a rumor site to be accurate 100% of the time. I did find it a bit odd that Canon would make an official announcement less than a month after the second development announcement. We know that Canon ambassadors have access to the R3 so my guess is that a formal announcement will occur before the summer Olympics. I will likely purchase one R3 and then the R3 will become a backup body once the R1 is available.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
LOL, no worries - this happens. I used the info, however, to go ahead and buy 2 more LP-E19 batteries since I parted ways with mine during the sale of the 1DXII.
I was lucky (lazy) and never got around to selling my 2 extra batteries when I sold the 1dx II. I will have to verify they are still in good shape once I have the camera and look at charge efficiency. My only disappointment is the longer the delay in announcing the more likely it will not be shipping before my YNP trip in September. I wanted the camera in my hands at the beginning of September so I had some time to test before taking it on the road.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
Now Canon has a couple of extra days to figure out which supertelephoto lenses it will release with the R3. The 14-35mm never seemed like the most sports/action lens to showcase with the R3.
It also seemed weird that no date/time for the release was appearing on the Canon website.
Obviously I prefer for the release to be tomorrow, but I did have some doubts. Maybe this is the announcement of the announcement.
I think they considered the combination with the super telephotos when they announced the 400/660 and then gave us the R3 development announcement. I think it they were announced at the same time or close.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
To those who pointed out to me, 30 MP was set months ago, I stated pretty much that it was already set and likely to the number of thousands of sensor and processors. Learn to read past the first sentence.
Fair enough. Or you could learn not to post nonsense.

Also, the first time you said ‘probably made’ and here you said ‘made’, without the qualifier. So perhaps you should learn to write more clearly. Because as written, it was not apparent that you knew your dream was asinine.

Upvote 0
If posting nonsense by yours or anyone else's standards were to disqualify a person from posting here, no one would be able to post here, including yourself or our illustrious leader.

And the major point of my post was stating my desire to have more than 30 MPs in an R3 body, knowing full well it is likely not happening at this time. Perhaps it is. But mostly likely not. But I know of no set in stone or silicon statement which says the coming camera is 30 MP. No EXIFs, no official statements from Canon. If current rumors of 30 MP are false, and the number is 45+, I am will be happy and my bank account unhappy.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
“The R3 announcement is delayed, maybe that means Canon is going to reconsider and add some MP to it. Not very likely but it’s my dream.”

“I hope the R3 is 45 MP or higher, although that possibility is slim given the video specs (no 8K in Canon’s video capability description) but Canon hasn’t stated the resolution so there’s a chance. If it is 45 MP or higher, I’ll buy one.”

One of the two statements above is cogent and rational. The other is silly. @juststeve Which one sounds more like your original post?

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Well, Craig, the good thing about your initial post is that you got me thinking that I better put my name down on "the list" with my local camera store to get the R3. Now it's on the list and the sooner the better, as I remember that it was the only thing I did before that allowed that store to call me and tell me they got 2 R5's in for the very 1st day to sell, and my name was 2nd on the list! If not for that, I would have had to wait for many, many months for delivery from B&H.

So that's the "silver lining in the cloud" for me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I'm torn here, the impending hurry of the announcement made me decide that I should pre-order as soon as it goes live to ensure I get a good spot, even if I decide to cancel the pre-order later on.

That said, having additional time, especially "several months" like PetaPixel said, means I'll definitely have some extra time to save some extra cash up to get more accessories with it, and maybe even pick up a lens like the RF 24-70 with it when it goes live.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Let's hope the 30MP is wrong and it's more, not less.

Well until hten we can admire the retro Nikon APS-C with retro specs, like only SD UHS-1 and 2.36MP EVF.
just get the r5 for more MP. i dont see why people need another high mp camera like the R5 is trash. Of course we want a camera to doit all but right now that isnt realistic. iam fine with a lil less mp with better low light and af.

Upvote 0