Multiple mentions put the Canon EOS R3 sensor resolution “around 24mp”

But is is still a compromise. If they had all the pro features +45mp, I'm sure they would not complain.
Everything is a compromise. Not everyone wants 45mp. I am not sure why some people have a hard time accepting that. If no one wanted 20mp class cameras then 1dx3, 1dx2, R6, A9, A9II, D5, D6 yada yada yada would not exist and if they did they would not sell. For some the only spec that matters is the resolution of the sensor, for others it is not a big deal.

That being said I will not get rid of my 1dx3 to get an R3 if it is 24mp. I was really hoping for 30. That way I would have 45, 30 and 20.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
I think it's an uphill battle for that to simply be "BSI means no rolling shutter" because I really don't know how many photographers out there know what that means or looks like.

Honestly using my R5 in 20 FPS mode, I barely see the rolling shutter effects in day-to-day use, and haven't been particularly bothered by it while photographing sports and wildlife. It would be more of a bonus to me if the image quality/dynamic range in electronic shutter matches the mechanical shutter, and 0 distortion would also be nice, but I just can't imagine that being 2000-to-3000-dollars-more-nice.

One thing that would particularly make the R3 more worthwhile in electronic shutter would be making us able to fine-tune shutter speed like on the Sony cameras to anti-flicker shoot at any shutter speed and in 30 fps, which is a feature I've always wanted on the R5 and even the 1DX2. It would also be great to see electronic shutter having variable burst rates.
Granted we‘re not talking apples-to-apples, since I’m talking about motion/video, but global shutter is the main reason I bought a Sony F55 over an F5. At introduction the F55 commanded a ~$15K premium over the F5.

Upvote 0
Everything is a compromise. Not everyone wants 45mp. I am not sure why some people have a hard time accepting that. If no one wanted 20mp class cameras then 1dx3, 1dx2, R6, A9, A9II, D5, D6 yada yada yada would not exist and if they did they would not sell. For some the only spec that matters is the resolution of the sensor, for others it is not a big deal.
I realise that, and acknowledged that Canon know their market better than any of us. My specific comment:
But is is still a compromise. If they had all the pro features +45mp, I'm sure they would not complain.
was in the context of wildlife photographers preferring a lower res, pro 1-series camera. Quite a few of the pros I have read have both a R5 or 5Ds and 1DXiii, one for the high res and one for when they need something more rugged. My suggestion was they would be happier if they did not have to make this compromise. (But having never had any of these cameras I cannot know for sure.)

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
I have to admit, 45MPs was way more appealing to me than 24MPs. I’ll wait until the smoke clears on this one. But if it’s only 24MPs it’s going to need to be a really special sensor to win me over.

I already own a Red Komodo so fast readout speed alone is probably not going to be enough to get me to buy in. Perhaps amazing/super clean low light? A really nice image… thick and flexible… Idk.

While the R3 is definitely still one to watch, I’m really hoping it’s going to bring something that sets it apart from the crowd and not just gimmicks.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
My dream would be a camera with two sensors. Or a modulat one with easy interchangable sensors. We can change lenses, but not sensors. That is a problem. Imagine the possibilities.
Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 11.25.08 AM.png

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
You can also wait for the R1 but going by the history of the 1 series they have never been high MP anyway, I don't think the R1 is going to match the R5 in MP since it seems like most 1 series users prefer speed, including faster post processing and smaller files to transfer.

The 1D APS-H family were actually very pixel-dense for their generations. The full-frame equivalent of the 1D4 would be 27MP, not bad for 2009 given that a decade later Canon still haven't achieved that in the 1DX line.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

DVaNu

CR Pro
Jan 23, 2019
I didn’t read every single message in this thread so apologies if someone already shared the same thought. But knowing that there was a big probability that leaks would happen at the Olympics, would it be possible that Canon crippled down the resolution of their test bodies out in the wild to make sure they would keep that conceiled untill official release? It’s easily done and it’s not really the feature to be “tested” so perfect strategy to keep that feature hidden and create even more marketing speculation and momentum. If the test bodies are production models that don’t have to be returned by the photographers, the crippling can be easily unlocked by a software update. I know it’s a far stretch but it’s either something like that or Canon really has a very weird and inefficient marketing strategist on board because why keep the resolution info hidden if these is so many test bodies out in the wild. Anno 2021 it’s gonna leak one way or another at some point anyways (even with signed NDA’s).

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I have a 1D X and an EOS R. I far prefer the form factor of the 1-series, which is why I haven't bought an R5. I'd prefer 30 MP, but I'm fine with 24 MP, or 45 MP. My main need is for the camera to start shipping.
Shipping?

What, you don't just expect some fantastic specs but you also want the minor detail of existence, too?

Daaaaaang, some people are fussy.

:LOL:

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I have to admit, 45MPs was way more appealing to me than 24MPs. I’ll wait until the smoke clears on this one. But if it’s only 24MPs it’s going to need to be a really special sensor to win me over.

I already own a Red Komodo so fast readout speed alone is probably not going to be enough to get me to buy in. Perhaps amazing/super clean low light? A really nice image… thick and flexible… Idk.

While the R3 is definitely still one to watch, I’m really hoping it’s going to bring something that sets it apart from the crowd and not just gimmicks.
If it really is 24mp all the time, with no resolution tricks to scale up at slower shooting speeds, then my guess is something revolutionary with low light in this new sensor. If the light sensitivity is much greater, it makes sense why some of the L lenses in the R series have been creeping up on the available apertures. No need to stick to the wide open side if you can go to ridiculously high ISO's with little to no loss of quality. It doesn't help with separation of subject to shoot at higher apertures, but for sports photographers that's not nearly as important.

Upvote 0

USMarineCorpsVet

Bird/Wildlife Photography
Jul 2, 2021
I just ask this out of curiosity, would you be happy with a 30MP APS-C camera so you wouldn't have to crop?
Currant apsc sensors are very noisy (7DMK2 awful even at ISO 1600) and for birding that is a big issue as feather details are super important. I actually would be happy with either a 1DX3 with higher resolution or an R3 with at least 30 mpx. Although fps is important, a mechanical shutter at 15-20 fps is more than acceptable.

Upvote 0
If it really is 24mp all the time, with no resolution tricks to scale up at slower shooting speeds, then my guess is something revolutionary with low light in this new sensor. If the light sensitivity is much greater, it makes sense why some of the L lenses in the R series have been creeping up on the available apertures. No need to stick to the wide open side if you can go to ridiculously high ISO's with little to no loss of quality. It doesn't help with separation of subject to shoot at higher apertures, but for sports photographers that's not nearly as important.
I am a photographer of polo, rugby and horseball, his statement about it is false, if I do not separate the subject from the background, the photo that garbage that will not be published. The new lenses with ridiculously slow apertures do not work in professional sports photography.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0