Multiple mentions put the Canon EOS R3 sensor resolution “around 24mp”

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Canon told us it’s not a flagship so yeah.
Yet look how many here want to compare it to the A1. What Canon says doesn't seem to matter to the hordes of whiners and complainers. I guess where I'm going and am always going is stills shooters are so much easier to please than hybrid or chiefly video people. There really is far too much teeth gnashing. Too much math, too much spec talk, hardly any left brain activity it seems.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
That would work but people would not really be testing the camera.
Yes and no. It depends on what the purpose of the testing is. When I've done field testing of unreleased products (not cameras), we usually have a detailed plan of what features we want to exercise and what we hope to learn that we can't exercise in our development lab.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
Can we at least agree it's not a flagship and therefore shouldn't be constantly compared to another brands flagship? The glass half full here is we get another body available for those who want and need it. It's pure win.
"Flagship" is a marketing term (well, OK, it's a naval term that's been appropriated for marketing use). It conveys no special attributes or implied capabilities. If Canon prices the R3 north of $6K US, that's definitely A1 territory and comparisons are valid.

In truth, the products to compare are the ones you will consider purchasing because they have the capabilities you need.

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
What a wild ride. Critics are in despair that they're not getting 6 megapixels they aren't gonna need anyway, and professional 1DX sports shooters are just happy to have a little more resolution.
I assume you meant 60 MP? I know resolution isn't everything but I'd be pretty disappointed with 6MP these days... ;)

Upvote 0
The R5 obviously suffers from a design error in the thermal heatsink design (they should have used copper). Kolarivision offers a fix for the faulty heatpipe that canon put inside: https://kolarivision.com/product-category/r5overheating/ (doubles record time, probably unlimited 4k oversampled external recording).
Copper just allows heat to move faster along it. It doesn't dissipate heat faster as it doesn't have an external heatsink. Kolari doesn't specify the external body temperatures which I believe would equate to a low temperature burn and potentially damaging the rear LCD if turned in. You could say that all video would be with the LCD turned out but Canon has to allow for all options or it will be a design flaw and covered under warranty.
I recall the youtube video where a guy initially did a custom copper heat spreader and recorded the external temperatures. He gave Kolari the idea. Can't find the video at the moment though

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
I guess the hardest thing for me to understand is why Canon ever kept the megapixels under wraps for this long.
Probably because megapixels is a number that is easy for people to fixate on... uh... present company excepted, of course.

All kidding aside, if Canon does pre-announce that it will have 24 or 30 or 45 MP or whatever, other brands with higher resolution can control the dialog and it's an uphill battle for Canon once it's released. This way, the actual MP is one part of the entire package of features and capabilities at the time of release, and Canon has more control over the dialog.

Upvote 0
Nope.

Sony only rates it for 60 minutes but that is pretty conservative.
It is much better than the R5 and R6 but there is a reason that Sony came out with the FX3 with active cooling when they already had the A7SIII.
Sony is better at managing heat than Canon mostly because of larger heatsinks.
However, their cameras still overheat pretty quickly if the heat tolerance is not set to high.
Canon does not let us do that.
Canon also has much better weather sealing.
It would be nice to have more options from Canon, but no, Sony has not overcome the laws of thermodynamics.
A key point for Sony is their CIPA shooting capacity vs battery capacity against Canon. It is clear to me that their prowess in video processing chips and algorithms shines in this aspect probably from their PSx division knowledge base. If Sony processing generates less heat then it doesn't need to dissipate heat and gets longer record times.

Upvote 0
Unless you set the temperature tolerance to high, you may also need to flip out the screen. Out the box settings it will pop the overheat warning shooting 4k 120/8k if the screen isn't out, for prolonged shooting the temperature threshold needs to be adjusted. I haven't tried a dummy battery though.
Appreciate the feedback. This also aligns with Canon being conservative with internal heating and spreading the heat. A copper heat spreader moves the heat faster but gives low temperature burns to the back panel and potentially damaging the rear LCD. It looks like Sony can check for this in firmware. Buying the Kolari mod won't allow for LCD turned in with potential damage.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
A key point for Sony is their CIPA shooting capacity vs battery capacity against Canon. It is clear to me that their prowess in video processing chips and algorithms shines in this aspect probably from their PSx division knowledge base. If Sony processing generates less heat then it doesn't need to dissipate heat and gets longer record times.
Sony batteries smackdown Canon batteries when it comes to mirrorless but Canon BP batteries that they use in their cinema cameras last forever.
I think Canon made a mistake by making their mirrorless batteries backward compatible since DSLRs require so little energy.
I see no reason that Canon can't come up with a competitive mirrorless battery but I do not think it can be an LP-N type.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...if Canon does pre-announce that it will have 24 or 30 or 45 MP or whatever, other brands with higher resolution can control the dialog and it's an uphill battle for Canon once it's released. This way, the actual MP is one part of the entire package of features and capabilities at the time of release, and Canon has more control over the dialog.

I don't really agree with that.

It would be true if there were a long list of features and capabilities to announce, but lately Canon has been previewing those headline grabbing features several months in advance and leaving something like the resolution as the great unknown until the announcement date.

With the 1Dx III, we knew most of the features in advance except the resolution. The resolution was disappointing and dominated a lot of the release chatter.

With the R5, Canon hyped a video spec they couldn't deliver on without massive overheating and that overheating dominated a lot of the release chatter.

Now, with the R3, we know most of the features except the resolution and the underwhelming resolution (if it is 24mp) is likely to dominate a lot of the release chatter.

If I were advising Canon, I would have told them to either leak the resolution of the 1DX III and (if 24mp) R3 out early and take the hit in advance, or hold back on big features like eye-control autofocus and try to bury the resolution in with the discussion of these other features. In the case of the R5, I would have told them not to hype the 8K, but rather emphasize that it can shoot "up to 8K under certain conditions," while hyping features like IBIS and animal eye focus.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
If I were advising Canon, I would have told them to either leak the resolution of the 1DX III and (if 24mp) R3 out early and take the hit in advance, or hold back on big features like eye-control autofocus and try to bury the resolution in with the discussion of these other features.
I would do the same thing but Canon does not seem to care about negative chatter at all.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
For birders 30MP is still a useful improvement over 24MP, that amounts to 12% extra reach. Every bit helps. Let's not forget even 30MP would be disappointing, but palatable. R1 no one has a clue about sensor or res, and at least another 12 months away and no doubt $1.5K dearer or more. We already have the 50MP A1 and Z9 is looking to be around 45MP like R5. If R3 was going to be A9II price 24MP would be more palatable, but if it's the rumoured $5.5K+ no thanks.
Resolution = Reach? Since when? Please.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I don't really agree with that.

It would be true if there were a long list of features and capabilities to announce, but lately Canon has been previewing those headline grabbing features several months in advance and leaving something like the resolution as the great unknown until the announcement date.

With the 1Dx III, we knew most of the features in advance except the resolution. The resolution was disappointing and dominated a lot of the release chatter.

With the R5, Canon hyped a video spec they couldn't deliver on without massive overheating and that overheating dominated a lot of the release chatter.

Now, with the R3, we know most of the features except the resolution and the underwhelming resolution (if it is 24mp) is likely to dominate a lot of the release chatter.

If I were advising Canon, I would have told them to either leak the resolution of the 1DX III and (if 24mp) R3 out early and take the hit in advance, or hold back on big features like eye-control autofocus and try to bury the resolution in with the discussion of these other features. In the case of the R5, I would have told them not to hype the 8K, but rather emphasize that it can shoot "up to 8K under certain conditions," while hyping features like IBIS and animal eye focus.
Mea

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Copper just allows heat to move faster along it. It doesn't dissipate heat faster as it doesn't have an external heatsink. Kolari doesn't specify the external body temperatures which I believe would equate to a low temperature burn and potentially damaging the rear LCD if turned in. You could say that all video would be with the LCD turned out but Canon has to allow for all options or it will be a design flaw and covered under warranty.
I recall the youtube video where a guy initially did a custom copper heat spreader and recorded the external temperatures. He gave Kolari the idea. Can't find the video at the moment though
Thats the video, a very impressive channel btw :)
This mod is quite difficult, but if you have the tools or the heatsink, it should be doable. It would be an easy thing for canon to do this, even for existing cameras. In my opinion it should fall under the warranty :)

Upvote 0