Multiple mentions put the Canon EOS R3 sensor resolution “around 24mp”

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
For birders 30MP is still a useful improvement over 24MP, that amounts to 12% extra reach. Every bit helps. Let's not forget even 30MP would be disappointing, but palatable. R1 no one has a clue about sensor or res, and at least another 12 months away and no doubt $1.5K dearer or more. We already have the 50MP A1 and Z9 is looking to be around 45MP like R5. If R3 was going to be A9II price 24MP would be more palatable, but if it's the rumoured $5.5K+ no thanks.
Yeah but a gazillion birders publish photos every single day with 5Dmk 3.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I would really prefer to stay in the Canon ecosystem, but if the R3 is actually only 24mpx and the R1 is over a year away I will be eagerly waiting to see if Nikon will be able to lure me over with the Z9.
Ludicrous. Then obviously you dont make a living from photography
Not exactly, a while ago Canon sent me an email that said:

I wondered at the time how a pro sports camera would be perfect for wildlife, where reach/mpx is also important.
And? Suppose you can't shoot like Jeff Cable then. Go over to his site and see his safari shots. There's simply no substitute for skill and talent. Maybe thats why he shoots for team USA.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Only up to 4K60. R5 and R6 can do the same.

I disagree

The Kolari Vision mod also overheats and they even tell you that.
It is just a big improvement.
Nope, it is 8k - as seen at 3:11 in his video, which you may want to watch, if you want to learn something about the camera:

For example the A7R III survied COMPLETE freeze and defreeze:
minute 2:00
The A7R III also easily survives HEAVY rain and mist, just like the Nikon D850 and Canon 5D. And they improved in the a7R4 and a7III and a1:
You may disagree, but the facts are just that simple. The a7 series is completely weather sealed and there is nothing wrong with it.

True, the Canon R5 still "overheats" with the mod. But the argument still stands: the Sony A1 doesnt overheat ever in 4k (which the Canon does) and it does not overheat in 8k external.

There is no "physical limitation". The Canon is just a faulty design. And I say that as a owner of 2 R5 cameras which I use daily in my professional workflow ;)

Upvote 0
Sony batteries smackdown Canon batteries when it comes to mirrorless but Canon BP batteries that they use in their cinema cameras last forever.
I think Canon made a mistake by making their mirrorless batteries backward compatible since DSLRs require so little energy.
I see no reason that Canon can't come up with a competitive mirrorless battery but I do not think it can be an LP-N type.
"smackdown" isn't a great scientific term. The A1's NP-FZ100 battery has 2300 mAh and the R5's LP-E6NH has 2130 mAh so about 8% difference. They are practically the same size as well.

Power demand would indicate that the usage of the available power is the key difference in CIPA etc specs between the 2. The A1 processing power efficiency and the combined SD/CFe type A slots are the only other significant difference in usage.

The 1DXiii uses LP-E19 with 2700mAh but 90Whr due to 10.8v so 95% more capacity than the R5. Canon didn't update the LP-E19 battery since 2016 when it was released in 2016. The 1DXiii didn't really need more capacity :)
If Canon reuses the same battery in the R3, it could increase the density similar to the +15% in LP-E6NH or could be a new battery as the R3 is physically smaller.

Are BP batteries better LP-N type batteries?
LP-E6NH is 38.4 x 21 x 56.8 mm. Not exactly rectangular in shape but approximately 45cm3 in volume @7.2V giving a power density of 340mWh/cm3
BP-A60 is 41.5 x 82.5 x 69.7 mm and approximately 240cm3 (5x the LP-E6 size) with 6700mAhr @14.4V giving a power density of 402mWh/cm3
=> BP-A60 is about 18% power density than LP-E6NH but BP-A60 is "much more rectangular" so perhaps that accounts for the difference in my rough calculations

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I heard that for every A7 generation that subsequently had failures. Do we know this? Is someone actively testing camera weather sealing? Imaging Review was going to start doing this in a scientific fashion until they scaled everything back. All I have are anecdotes from friends that the A9s work in harsh conditions, so maybe it's a solved problem with Sony. But I wish someone would test weather sealing as carefully as the industry likes to test DR.

I'll give you that one. Why Canon messed this up in the R5/R6 I'll never know... :rolleyes:
Yeah, there are not many tests, but I found 2. One with complete freeze and defreeze and one with heavy rain. It survived both. I doubt there are any public tests for the a1, since thats crazy expensive :-D

Yeah, its hard to tell. I think it was just a design that wasnt perfectly thought through. Maybe there are other reasons against the copper heatsink... I guess they just focused on the photo side...

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I would really prefer to stay in the Canon ecosystem, but if the R3 is actually only 24mpx and the R1 is over a year away I will be eagerly waiting to see if Nikon will be able to lure me over with the Z9.
Ludicrous. Then obviously you dont make a living from photography
The scary part of this rumor is that it is likely to be true.
Yeah like the sensor manufactured by Sony.

Upvote 0
With the R5, Canon hyped a video spec they couldn't deliver on without massive overheating and that overheating dominated a lot of the release chatter.
We really need some perspective on the R5's 8k spec. It was the only body that could do any form of 8k. The hype ramped up from "Canon couldn't possibly have the technology when Sony didn't have it", to "it must be 8k timelapse", to it "it couldn't possible have continuous AF", to "only for an extremely short record time".
Release of ~10 minutes of 8k raw record time and then to ~20 minutes of 8k raw record time after firmware release.

Yes, the video record time dominated the release criticism but there was nothing better on the market. Even the A1 released close to a year later and 50% higher cost can do more record time and still isn't 8K raw. What is the cost of the CFe type B card to continuously shoot 8k raw for >20 minutes??

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Thats the video, a very impressive channel btw :)
This mod is quite difficult, but if you have the tools or the heatsink, it should be doable. It would be an easy thing for canon to do this, even for existing cameras. In my opinion it should fall under the warranty :)
nah, there was another one... no water cooling just the copper heat spreader that he made himself plus some better heat transfer pads to the heat spreader. Water cooling would certainly make a big difference though.
Interesting that there has been no after-market heat transfer/fan for the back panel although some were promised.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
nah, there was another one... no water cooling just the copper heat spreader that he made himself plus some better heat transfer pads to the heat spreader. Water cooling would certainly make a big difference though.
Interesting that there has been no after-market heat transfer/fan for the back panel although some were promised.
jeah, later in the video he does exactly that =)

I think this didnt happen, because the heatpipe in the camera is so bad and the plastic on the back is such a bad conductor for heat. Thats why a fan on the backside just wont help much. The problem can only be (somewhat) fixed by changing the heatpipe inside. Than you may apply some more aircooling to the back which completely eliminates the heat problem :)

Upvote 0
With the Sony A1 at 50 MP, the R3 will be a failure at 24 MP. Surely Canon is not so foolish.
You don't know if it will be a failure. Time will tell. What if it sells well? Is it a failure? I have an R5 and a 1dx3. I really prefer the 1dx3 in spite of it being a measly 20mp. Is it a failure? I do wish it had the animal AF in live view the r5 has. I wish it had internal time lapse, but I don't want it to have 45mp.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2020
Yeah but a gazillion birders publish photos every single day with 5Dmk 3.
Agreed. I'm not a professional but I've printed and sold 8x10" bird photos from very tight crops taken from a 24mp Canon 800D. Hell I have a friend who got back into photography recently and is doing event and portrait shoots with a humble 12mp Canon 450D.

The fact that people are making livings off 20mp cameras like the 1DX and R6 must be mindblowing to some people here. It's the photo that makes the photo, not the megapixels.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
You don't know if it will be a failure. Time will tell. What if it sells well? Is it a failure? I have an R5 and a 1dx3. I really prefer the 1dx3 in spite of it being a measly 20mp. Is it a failure? I do wish it had the animal AF in live view the r5 has. I wish it had internal time lapse, but I don't want it to have 45mp.
It was just a prediction on djack41's part.
Maybe right, maybe wrong but it does not harm anybody.

Upvote 0