Exclusive! DPReview confirms what has already been confirmed. The Canon EOS R3 will be 24mp

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
24MP R3 will certainly become the target for next Sony A9.
The A9 is kinda old now.
When will people learn. Canon doesn't release cameras to compete with Sony. Sony releases cameras to compete with Canon and Nikon.
Yeah the A9 was supposed to compete with the 1DX. Canon makes whatever they want. Sometimes that is cool but many times that is also bad especially in terms of how open they are with features on their camera. They are becoming more generous though.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
But then they should also give us a "1" in the naming, if it really costs 6000 Euros or more and call the high resolution one "R1S".
Why? If they want they can go any route just like they did with the 1D and 1DS models.

With the A1 and Z9 there is obviously a market for a top spec high resolution camera, that is what the 1DS was, yet Canon and Nikon have consistently said and made cameras for the ‘sports’ market, built in grip, high fps, top quality build and durability BUT with a modest me count most non pros find laughable. That surely is the R3?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Yes, with the collapse of the professional market for the 1 series, I believe Canon is going to target the R1 (When and if it comes) at the "luxury" market. Clearly the growth market is in enthusiasts who are not price sensitive so it makes sense to focus their top of the line camera on this market. I have no idea what that will mean in specs, because only Canon knows what their market research shows.
I think the well heeled enthusiast and the pros who don’t have the lens selection or need to go medium format. Of course if the R1 ends up having video specs to die for a $7,000 body is comparatively cheap for that market too.

As for specs, I‘d anticipate 80mp, just to beat the others numbers, quad pixel AF and pixel shift technology. I’d then expect to see that sensor in an R5s before an R5 II comes out so it is R5 based, not R5 II based. I’d expect the body to be close to or identical to the R3, saves money on tooling and helps people who work with both bodies.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

2Cents

EOS R5, 1DX mkiii, C70, R5 C
Nov 2, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
www.606.media
Honestly with owning a R5, I realize the only thing I really need in a camera is an RF mount version of my 1dx2 so that I can go fully RF mount.

It honestly makes sense to view this as an upgrade for people still using the 1dx, 1dx2, and 1dx3 but wanting to move to RF mount.

With that in mind, you're nearly doubling the 16 FPS of the 1dx2 with the R3, on top of the durability of limitless electronic shutter, RF mount lenses, new huge and super fast EVF, built-in wi-fi, the TouchPad AF on button, a 4 mp increase, tracking focus, flip screen, the list truly goes on.

All that put together, it's honestly a compelling upgrade for 1dx/1dx2/1dx3 users. I'm sure at 24 megapixels this is going to be a blistering fast and responsive camera that gives you the same responsiveness as a DSLR, and possibly a similar sort of battery life too.

I don't honestly need anything more out of my 1dx2, but it will be an incredibly worthwhile upgrade for me to get a similar camera to the 1dx2 but with an EVF and RF mount.

If Canon didn't make a camera that was a direct update along the lines of the current 1-series, what would those users feel comfortable upgrading to? A lot of that market isn't looking to deal with 50 mp files at 30 fps.

Now that they have the R3 though, I think it frees Canon to do whatever they want with the 1-series and not have to strictly worry about that market.
Yours should be top post my friend... I have the 1DX mkii and mkiii and also a R5. The mkiii was a fantastic upgrade from the mkii but features and usability alone from the Canon R/ RF series is worth the move.
Honestly with owning a R5, I realize the only thing I really need in a camera is an RF mount version of my 1dx2 so that I can go fully RF mount.

It honestly makes sense to view this as an upgrade for people still using the 1dx, 1dx2, and 1dx3 but wanting to move to RF mount.

With that in mind, you're nearly doubling the 16 FPS of the 1dx2 with the R3, on top of the durability of limitless electronic shutter, RF mount lenses, new huge and super fast EVF, built-in wi-fi, the TouchPad AF on button, a 4 mp increase, tracking focus, flip screen, the list truly goes on.

All that put together, it's honestly a compelling upgrade for 1dx/1dx2/1dx3 users. I'm sure at 24 megapixels this is going to be a blistering fast and responsive camera that gives you the same responsiveness as a DSLR, and possibly a similar sort of battery life too.

I don't honestly need anything more out of my 1dx2, but it will be an incredibly worthwhile upgrade for me to get a similar camera to the 1dx2 but with an EVF and RF mount.

If Canon didn't make a camera that was a direct update along the lines of the current 1-series, what would those users feel comfortable upgrading to? A lot of that market isn't looking to deal with 50 mp files at 30 fps.

Now that they have the R3 though, I think it frees Canon to do whatever they want with the 1-series and not have to strictly worry about that market.
Yours should be top post my friend... I have the 1DX mk2 & mk3, as well as the R5. In my opinion mk3 was a fantastic upgrade from the mk2 but features and usability of the R series and RF glass is well worth the move to R3.

I'm starting to think that most negative comments here are not from actual owners/ users of these cameras but folks that are watching youtube reviews, only looking at specs, and are not really in the market for this type of gear. Looking for the official price announcement now.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
My thought process as well. Even though I expect to take a hit on the 1Dx III, it's worth it to me to be able to consolidate everything into a single mount and one set of lenses. I can reduce my bodes from three to two and gradually shift over my lenses. Selling the EF lenses will reduce the overall cost of transition by a small amount.

Oh yeah, definitely. I kept my EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II around after I got the RF 70-200 F/2.8L IS basically for this reason, first as a 70-200 to use on my 1DX2, but also as a nice chunk of change to sell when I also sell my 1DX2. Between selling the 1DX2, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II, and my EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II on top of my routine equipment budget, I'll definitely be able to pick up the R3 and RF 24-70mm F/2.8L this year.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Canon Europe's marketing: "A camera designed to capture the fastest moving action. Designed to capture objects moving at high speed and built to meet the exacting demands of professional shooters, with ultra-responsiveness, high sensitivity, reliability and durability."

I guess because it's 24MP, that none of the above attributes matter. :)

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
After reading all the posts in this thread I feel I must have really pulled a fast one on Audubon Magazine when they used one of my bird photos shot on a 1D mk III with only a lowly 10 MP - If they only knew...
I’ve told this tale before but my first serious digital camera was a 1D with a lowly 4mp. I put an image in for a magazine and they wanted to use it on the cover, they emailed me and asked if I had a 10mp version? So I uprezzed the 4mp to 12mp and sent it back to them, they were delighted and the image got the cover...

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Fbimages

EOS R5 EOS R3 GFX 100
Mar 4, 2020
www.instagram.com

Stop being reasonable! You are supposed to be angry!
hitting the nail on the head though. Will happily trade my 1DX iii and move to EVF. The eye AF of the R5 convinced me that this is the way forward, and 4mpx increase is welcome

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
It confirms one thing: that the camera is capable of producing 24Mp images, we don't know wether this is the maximal resolution of the sensor, is it the maximal size in 30fps bursts or anything else for that matter. the fact that Canon keeps that number as a secret and "allows" such speculations to come out just proves they did their "homework" in generating a hype for this camera.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
After reading all the posts in this thread I feel I must have really pulled a fast one on Audubon Magazine when they used one of my bird photos shot on a 1D mk III with only a lowly 10 MP - If they only knew...

Same pixel density as the 1DX. The 1D3 just required less cropping...

Which raises the question as to why Canon now insists on full-frame for its top sports / wildlife bodies. Why not 24MP but APS-H? A compromise between absolute file size and pixel density.

Last edited:
Upvote 0