Exclusive! DPReview confirms what has already been confirmed. The Canon EOS R3 will be 24mp

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The Canon EOS R3 will be 24mp, as already confirmed here last week by a forum member. The fine folks at DPReview now have an “exclusive” confirmation that the EOS R3 will be 24mp. You can’t make this stuff up.
From DPReview
After speaking with a photo editor who manages images captured by photographers at the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games, DPReview can confirm the maximum resolution of files coming straight out of Canon EOS R3 cameras being used at the Olympics is 6000 x 4000 pixels, meaning the sensor inside is 24MP. File sizes come in between 14MB and 16MB.
There you have it, Gannon with the great...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Honestly with owning a R5, I realize the only thing I really need in a camera is an RF mount version of my 1dx2 so that I can go fully RF mount.

It honestly makes sense to view this as an upgrade for people still using the 1dx, 1dx2, and 1dx3 but wanting to move to RF mount.

With that in mind, you're nearly doubling the 16 FPS of the 1dx2 with the R3, on top of the durability of limitless electronic shutter, RF mount lenses, new huge and super fast EVF, built-in wi-fi, the TouchPad AF on button, a 4 mp increase, tracking focus, flip screen, the list truly goes on.

All that put together, it's honestly a compelling upgrade for 1dx/1dx2/1dx3 users. I'm sure at 24 megapixels this is going to be a blistering fast and responsive camera that gives you the same responsiveness as a DSLR, and possibly a similar sort of battery life too.

I don't honestly need anything more out of my 1dx2, but it will be an incredibly worthwhile upgrade for me to get a similar camera to the 1dx2 but with an EVF and RF mount.

If Canon didn't make a camera that was a direct update along the lines of the current 1-series, what would those users feel comfortable upgrading to? A lot of that market isn't looking to deal with 50 mp files at 30 fps.

Now that they have the R3 though, I think it frees Canon to do whatever they want with the 1-series and not have to strictly worry about that market.

Reactions: 23 users
Upvote 0
Why's that? You don't think this competes with the A9 series?
I don't because of the price point. Not sure what the z9 will be but I think its speculated to be well over 24. Seems like Canon will take their sweet time getting the R1 ready. Can't blame them, they have their customers saying "it's okay" to whatever they put out. A9 II was already a pathetic update where folks wanted more MP and more features. The A9II is very overpriced for what it is, used ones with near 0 use already go for 1 grand less instantly even from BHphoto at 9-10 rating. Now comes a 5 grand plus competitor doing the same thing, albeit a better physical body and probably more useful 4k. Is it worth almost 2 grand more give what A9iis really go for? Doubt it.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Personally I think there is a realignment of models going on. I don’t see the R3 as lacking much and there is obviously going to be an R1 that will have all the bells and whistles and resolution, quad pixel etc etc. Clearly the R3 is a good enough sports camera that it is being used extensively at the Olympics, hardly a place agencies like Getty or Alamy would be ‘testing’

I see the R3 as effectively being the old 1D series and the R1 being the 1DS series.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
So why do you continue to come back? Have some respect, he can’t always be right. And he’s not ashamed to say when he’s wrong.
I wasn't sure if that was directed at me. Which is beside the point, a forum member confirmed it, I didn't take any credit. They just used this forum to do so.

Reactions: 15 users
Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
With Sony A1 and upcoming Nikon Z9 both with 45-50 MP and 30 fps Canon falls behind in the mirrorless pro category.
Canon pro shooters for wildlife will probably have to wait for the R1 to hopefully come soon in 2022.
Until then I will stick with my R5s and avoid the R3.
I shoot wildlife and plan to purchase the R3 as soon as available if the tracking / AF / and rugged body are as rumored. I am more concerned about getting more effective stops of light on the new sensor than whether it has 24 or 45mpx. It would be nice to have the 45mp for crop, but I don’t see that as a deal breaker. I don’t gauge a cameras worth by mp, but by the sum of the parts as someone mentioned.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0