Exclusive! DPReview confirms what has already been confirmed. The Canon EOS R3 will be 24mp

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Of course a professional might not even consider this option but on the other hand you’d think they’ll have the fieldcraft and expertise to not need it as often as I do.
On the other hand, since most images these days end up living on the internet rather than in print, the need for high resolution is less important for some professionals.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Finally got a look at the new hotshoe thanks to Instagram! Looks like some sort of direct plug towards the front of the camera and a screw in area for something like a handle near that. I definitely think we're gonna get an XLR top handle for this camera.
View attachment 199446

View attachment 199445
Looks like a connector of some sort. I don't think you would plug a cable into it though. Maybe an accessory of some sort will slide into the connection. One would think it is some type of flash connection or accessory, as I don't know why it would be on the flash shoe. A non-flash accessory would render the flash shoe useless for any sort of trigger or strobe. I certainly hope it's nothing that might interfere with third party triggers for studio strobes.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Looks like a connector of some sort. I don't think you would plug a cable into it though. Maybe an accessory of some sort will slide into the connection. One would think it is some type of flash connection or accessory, as I don't know why it would be on the flash shoe. A non-flash accessory would render the flash shoe useless for any sort of trigger or strobe. I certainly hope it's nothing that might interfere with third party triggers for studio strobes.
I'd think it's most likely for video features like an XLR audio output, or perhaps an external recorder or display of some kind. Nothing that would interfere with using a strobe, since flashes wouldn't be useful for video.

GPS is apparently (possibly? I forget if it was confirmed) in the camera, so I doubt that would be for this. Wi-fi they pretty much advertised as being full featured in-body, so I can't imagine they'll market a WFT for this.

If there's a solid connector that clicks in, it can probably push some data out of that, so I do wonder what Canon has planned. I doubt Canon would get into making their own external recorders, but you never know. It doesn't seem like other XLR top handles need a solid plug like that for just pushing audio data.

It reminds me of the small plugs that would be on the bottom of cameras for the battery grip attachment.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I will be somewhat discounting their take, knowing that Canon loaned(gave?) them an R3 to try out.
Canon seems to be the sole supplier of Team USA but those photographers can use any cameras they want outside of the Olympics.
It is not much different than the athletes who compete wearing different Olympic team gear than they do professionally.
Jeff Cable seems to be all Canon all of the time just like some athletes who are all Nike all of the time while Nike is also a Team USA sponsor.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
This is an original unmodified EXIF from my Canon 70D which is definietly not 5Mpx:
View attachment 199632
Exactly! The most we can say from the EXIF "discovery" is that a 24MP JPEG from the R3 has 24.000.000 pixels. The assumptions are that Jeff Cable shot full resolution JPEGs and didn't scale them before uploading them.

What we want to see are the sensor size EXIF fields:

rrMBP:pictures koen$ exiftool IMG_7452.JPG | grep -i sensor | tail -n6
Sensor Width : 5360
Sensor Height : 3516
Sensor Left Border : 168
Sensor Top Border : 56
Sensor Right Border : 5351
Sensor Bottom Border : 3511
or the original image sizes:
rrMBP:pictures koen$ exiftool IMG_7452.JPG | grep -i "original image"
Original Image Width : 5184
Original Image Height : 3456
The above fields are from a picture taken with my 7D, it's not one of the downloaded R3 JPEGs.

Upvote 0
Seems likely to be 24MP . The information it’s based on might stillbe a limit Canon imposed to hide the real MP while testing at the Olympics.
Would I have bought an R3 if it were 50MP? -Yes
Would I have bought an R3 if it were 30MP ? - Probably but not in a rush
Would I buy the R3 if it is 24MP? No
From my perspective it’s not worth it. It limits the cameras uses and 20FPS to 30FPS is a completely diminishing return. I’d prefer a buffer limit than 24MP.
The R1 may also be modest in terms of MP and faraway. Sony would be delighted I’d say. The A1 won’t have a matching competitor for a while. It’s been a while since I’ve felt the best full frame camera on the market is not a Canon.
i wonder whether the EOSHD rumor of Canon using a Sony 30 megapixel sensor was true, only to have Canon replace the Sony sensor with a 24 megapixel Canon sensor when the rumor was released to the public. i think that many people were delighted at the news of a 30 megapixel high frame rate camera to compete with the Sony A1 and Nikon Z9 although i do realise that there is the yet to be released EOS R1. i think that 24 megapixels is really a disappointment to many, myself included, who have grown accustomed to the 30 megapixel sweet spot with the 5D Mark iv and the EOS R, not to mention the tantalising offerings of 50 megapixels and 45 megapixels from its competitors and 45 megapixels from the EOS R5. 24 megapixels is what most have come to expect from APS-C sensors or from older DSLR's such as the Nikon D750 or the Canon 5D Mark iii.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
i wonder whether the EOSHD rumor of Canon using a Sony 30 megapixel sensor was true, only to have Canon replace the Sony sensor with a 24 megapixel Canon sensor when the rumor was released to the public. i think that many people were delighted at the news of a 30 megapixel high frame rate camera to compete with the Sony A1 and Nikon Z9 although i do realise that there is the yet to be released EOS R1. i think that 24 megapixels is really a disappointment to many, myself included, who have grown accustomed to the 30 megapixel sweet spot with the 5D Mark iv and the EOS R, not to mention the tantalising offerings of 50 megapixels and 45 megapixels from its competitors and 45 megapixels from the EOS R5. 24 megapixels is what most have come to expect from APS-C sensors or from older DSLR's such as the Nikon D750 or the Canon 5D Mark iii.
"i wonder whether the EOSHD rumor of Canon using a Sony 30 megapixel sensor was true"

your F'n joking right? EOSHD as source is about as accurate as Sony Alpha Rumors... Canon stated from day 1 that the sensors are all theirs.

Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
If you're testing a product, why would you test with a different firmware to the one that would be released to the public? Surely you'd be wanting to test the product to its limits? The Olympics is perfect for this given the need to capture images at a high speed and also deliver them to various news agencies at high-speed.
I was very unclear in what I wrote.

I was thinking that maybe they have this new feature where a higher resolution sensor can output full frame images at lower apparent resolution.

Upvote 0