with 24 MP sensor it matched a9ii
to be competitive this camera should be priced similar to A9ii with grip
A9 II (release price ) - $4500
battery grip - $400
extra battery - $50
~$5000
plus some extra features you may add another $500
so R3 should be around ~$5000 -$5500..
beyond that it could be difficult to justify the price.
unless canon have some trick up their sleeve
Or, reason backwards from a 1DX III.

So $6,499 less the features the 1DX III has and the R3 doesn't have, which would be what exactly? Oh, wait, the R3 has the $650 WFT-E9A built in, it also has more fps and more mp. So $6,499 plus $650 plus 10% for being 'better' = $7,864.

Now that was slightly tongue in cheek, and Canon have said the R3 sits between the R5 and the 1DX III in the model range, which would imply the price should be somewhere between $3,899 and $6,499. Of course your guesses are between those numbers, but as all R bodies have carried a premium I wouldn't be surprised to see the release price of the R3 at $5,999, and at that price I believe they would sell every one of them. I do not see an R1 coming out at $6,499.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Or, reason backwards from a 1DX III.

So $6,499 less the features the 1DX III has and the R3 doesn't have, which would be what exactly? Oh, wait, the R3 has the $650 WFT-E9A built in, it also has more fps and more mp. So $6,499 plus $650 plus 10% for being 'better' = $7,864.

Now that was slightly tongue in cheek, and Canon have said the R3 sits between the R5 and the 1DX III in the model range, which would imply the price should be somewhere between $3,899 and $6,499. Of course your guesses are between those numbers, but as all R bodies have carried a premium I wouldn't be surprised to see the release price of the R3 at $5,999, and at that price I believe they would sell every one of them. I do not see an R1 coming out at $6,499.
If the R3 is the new 1D and the R1 is the new 1Ds, consider that the 1DsIII was at a $2K premium over the 1DIV.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
If the R3 is the new 1D and the R1 is the new 1Ds, consider that the 1DsIII was at a $2K premium over the 1DIV.
Indeed, I paid $7,000 for one of my 1DS III”s ten odd years ago. I can easily see an R1 with global shutter high mp and fps and all the bells and whistles coming out at $7,999. Which makes my $5,999 estimate for the R3 even more logical (which means it won’t be anything like it...).

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2021
It shoots 30fps compressed RAW with the newer Sony lenses. As what the R3 can do in that aspect its not even out yet so only the few selected photographers who are testing it actually know. Unless you are one of them?
The A1 doesnt shoot 30fps RAW (jpeg and compressed modes) research it. And only nears 30fps in select lenses. The R3 is faster shooting RAW

Upvote 0
Beside the point a little maybe, but wasn't DIGIC X a cover term for a range of processors? When they first came out, I thought Canon said different iterations could be called that, so it's not like in the past where, eg DIGIC 4 had a given capacity, which was subsequently exceeded by DIGIC 5. I'm not even sure XI comes after X, any more than the 1Dx was followed by 1Dxi.
The do seem chronological and sequential: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIGIC

Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
Beside the point a little maybe, but wasn't DIGIC X a cover term for a range of processors? When they first came out, I thought Canon said different iterations could be called that, so it's not like in the past where, eg DIGIC 4 had a given capacity, which was subsequently exceeded by DIGIC 5. I'm not even sure XI comes after X, any more than the 1Dx was followed by 1Dxi.
I recall, but am unable to find a reference for it, that Digic X referred not one specific chip, rather it is a generation of chips that can be tweaked for different models. That is to say, the Digic X in the 1DX III is not identical to the Digic X in the R5, etc. I think this was mentioned in a 1DX Mk III white paper but I can't be certain.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Yes, that’s what most of us want, but Canon is busy making 24mpix cams for sportsphotographers... ok
How do you know ‘what most of us want’? Who is more likely to know ‘what most of us want’, a multinational corporation with the ability and resources to conduct global market research and a history of selling more ILCs than any other manufacturer every single year for almost two decades, or some rando on the internet? So yeah…ok.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
$6499 and $8499. I don’t want to be right.
My guesses would be R3 = $5500 and R1 = $7500. If the R3 sits between the R5 and 1Dx Mk3 in the line up it only makes sense to me that it also sits in between the two cameras in price. With that said, I could easily be wrong. Within the next 5-8 weeks we should know the answer.

Upvote 0

Toglife_Anthony

Hit the G.A.S. & pump the brakes at the same time!
Apr 2, 2020
How do you know ‘what most of us want’? Who is more likely to know ‘what most of us want’, a multinational corporation with the ability and resources to conduct global market research and a history of selling more ILCs than any other manufacturer every single year for almost two decades, or some rando on the internet? So yeah…ok.
Canon's research doesn't necessarily equate to what "most of us want"; a lot of folks SETTLE with what Canon options they have. Just because people are buying Canon cameras certainly doesn't mean those cameras are what they wanted. Sometimes good enough is...good enough.

Upvote 0