Canon’s accessory shoe coming to the EOS R5c and could be an upgrade option for the EOS R5

Mar 25, 2011
It's probably an entire hot shoe assembly that connects to some internal usb connector with a little firmware magic to make it work.
You can see the tear down on the lens Rentals website. Then you could make a comment based on what's in the camera. To do a shoe upgrade, its almost certain that the entire top assembly would be replaced. That's probably going to run $300 or $400. Then, they will send the old top assembly to a subcontractor where it will be refurbished for use as a replacement part. You don't get new parts when your camera is repaired unless refurbished ones are not available.

I think the discussion at Canon probably involves the amount to charge to change out the top assembly. It all is based on the cost of labor, the parts are not that expensive since the old one will be reused. They might be willing to do it for $200, after all, the moon is made of green cheese, right?

Upvote 0
Indeed, Canon have nothing to lose, and I've no argument with Canon providing the service.

It would sure be interesting to know how many R5 owners shoot video on a level serious enough that they would be willing to pay for the upgrade.
Don't know if I am "serious" but I enjoy video and would pay for the upgrade. I have an xlr-3.5 already, but I suspect there may be more things coming.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
It's good that Canon will introduce the new "Accessory Shoe" to newer cameras. I really hope to see it make its way to the successors of the EOS R, R6 and R5. I doubt that they can simply retrofit the existing R5 with it, though, as it seems that the camera's internals would need to be redesign to work with it.

Upvote 0

rbr

Sep 11, 2010
Personally I would like some sort of angle finder. Since the old Angle finder C can't be attached to the eyepiece of the R5 like every other Canon EOS camera, an new electronic finder that could be attached to a new shoe could work (like the new Sigma camera). A lot of people don't seem to mind the fact that you can't attach an Angle Finder C to the R5, but I sure do. I don't want to have to wear reading glasses to see the rear screen. I would much prefer a finder with a built in diopter adjustment. That's what I'd like from a new shoe for the R5.

Upvote 0
I'm predominately a stills shooter. I'm not that keen on this 'Multi-interface' hot shoe. When Sony intro 'Multi-interface' hot shoe with multi pins, people criticised it as a weak link to fail especially when used on wet conditions, even though it has a cover. Now when Canon intro it, it seems it's OK. Canon's standard hot shoe doesn't require any cover and I have happily used the camera in the wet condition. I see the R3 has a cover on the hot shoe, imagine loosing the cover and you have to rush out to use the camera in the wet?

But I appreciate the flexibility of it i.e. digital mic usage etc.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I'm predominately a stills shooter. I'm not that keen on this 'Multi-interface' hot shoe. When Sony intro 'Multi-interface' hot shoe with multi pins, people criticised it as a weak link to fail especially when used on wet conditions, even though it has a cover. Now when Canon intro it, it seems it's OK. Canon's standard hot shoe doesn't require any cover and I have happily used the camera in the wet condition. I see the R3 has a cover on the hot shoe, imagine loosing the cover and you have to rush out to use the camera in the wet?

But I appreciate the flexibility of it i.e. digital mic usage etc.
Since Canon is introducing it in the XF605 and R3 I would imagine that it is plenty rugged

Upvote 0
I think giving the R5 a paid upgrade to the accessory shoe, if priced reasonable, is pretty awesome. The R5 keeps getting better. When I do make the switch, it'll be a tough choice between the R5 (if this upgrade is possible) and the R3. I do enough video that finding an easier upgrade path will push me over.

I LOVE THE VIDEO FROM THE R5! It's so gorgeous and if they do give it for free, I'd be so happy (though I've been perfectly happy with using the mic input as the highest quality mic I have is the Rode VideoMic NTG).

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I'm skeptical of the idea that Canon would offer a retrofit for the R5. On the other hand, I expect the R5 to serve as the chassis for both the R5c and the R5s, so if they can fit the electronics into the body for the R5c, and if they plan to offer the new shoe on the R5s as well, then at least in theory they should be able to fit the electronics into the R5. How much they would charge is a whole other question. Regardless, it's all moot to me, as I am not a video person.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
An upgrade to to the R5 hot shoe seems unlikely, but the latest firmware does support the 18-80 and 70-200 compact servo lenses, which means Canon understands that the APS-c video from the R5 is top notch (even if the professional reviewers can't be bothered to test it). I think this suggests that we may see full firmware support for EF-EOS R .71 adapter (i.e. speed booster) similar the recent release for the C70. For those not aware, the APS-c video from the R5 is down-sampled (even at 60 fps) and is very good and AFAIK, there are no overheating problems in that mode. All that adds up to the R5 being a very serious video capture device. The .71 adapter makes many FF lenses into pretty serious low light beasts. For example, an EF 70-200 f/2.8 becomes a 50-142 f/2 APS-c lens. Not bad for evening wedding videos.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I'm skeptical of the idea that Canon would offer a retrofit for the R5. On the other hand, I expect the R5 to serve as the chassis for both the R5c and the R5s, so if they can fit the electronics into the body for the R5c, and if they plan to offer the new shoe on the R5s as well, then at least in theory they should be able to fit the electronics into the R5. How much they would charge is a whole other question. Regardless, it's all moot to me, as I am not a video person
Even if they use some R5 components in an R5C the later will have active cooling so will have a substantially different body.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Even if they use some R5 components in an R5C the later will have active cooling so will have a substantially different body.
Good point. That probably means it won't be called the R5c if the body is substantially different.

Upvote 0