Is September 14 the day we finally get the official Canon EOS R3 announcement?

Jul 21, 2010
BTW, speaking of the army of Sony trolls...get ready for the swarm when the R3 is released. You will read the very predictable:
1) It's too big/heavy.
2) Costs too much
3) Only 24 MP
4) no 8K video
5) works natively only with the limited RF lens selection
6) only 24 MP
7) has mismatched card slots
8) probably has poor DR because it’s a Canon
9) doesn’t make toast
10) only 24 MP

Just rounding out the list for you. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
4) no 8K video
6) only 24 MP
9) doesn’t make toast
10) only 24 MP

You forgot to mention "only 24 MP, so I'm gonna get me a Sony."

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
My aunt told me that when she retired, her take-home pay nearly doubled. For most of us it is less extreme. Still what people often don’t realize is that in the US when you quit having earned income, you no longer are paying payroll or self-employment taxes. And when you quit saving for retirement, those payments are not going out. For middle income folks, that can be like a 20% or 30% raise if the income stays about the same. When you are no longer supporting kids or elderly parents, needs can go down very fast.
I agree with you except on one level, that being the ridiculous ever increasing health care costs in retirement, which are mostly beyond ones control. This one item often puts a damper on a person's retirement income but is something one cannot be caught without. Here in the states, Medicare coverage is not enough. Two years ago, I had an arterial blockage, angioplasty surgery and a stent implanted after blockage was removed. I was only in the hospital for one night and received a bill close to $60k. In my case, it was/is easier to pay the outrageous monthly health ins premiums than it would have been to come up with the money to pay that bill. Medicare and our private ins supplement paid the entire bill. I will spare shocking you with what our annual health ins outlay is but just let me say that it's more than enough to purchase two R5 bodies and still have a couple thousand left over to buy a nice L lens.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I agree with you except on one level, that being the ridiculous ever increasing health care costs in retirement, which are mostly beyond ones control.
My aunt was a teacher, so she has good health coverage through the state, at least for now. My Medicare supplement is subsidized by my former employer, so I pay a small premium in addition to the Medicare B premium. Since the Medicare B premium magically disappears from my Social Security before I see it, I don’t even think about it. I also used to have a Medicare D premium, but this year that is included at no extra cost in my former employer’s plan. Drug copays are also much less, especially since there is no doughnut hole in this plan. So that is about a $2,000/year raise in effect. Other than prescriptions, I rarely have any copays. I don’t have any dental coverage. So, yes, in the US, health care and insurance costs are all over the map for people with otherwise similar circumstances.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Obviously none of us will have direct evidence of the Sony trolls being paid. And of course, it could just be a case of groupthink, where a trend gets started. But there is still an army of Sony trolls out there.

But here is what I have observed. There is a lot of message discipline among the troll army. They tend to repeat the same talking points in the same way.

I am a political junkie and it is known that good political campaigns conduct their messaging on the opponent in a certain way. First, stay on message and have all messengers repeat the same thing. Second, find something to spin in a negative way on the opponent, even if it is really a positive. The funny example was given by LBJ who said if he could walk on water, his opponents would criticize him for not being able to swim.

I saw an example of this with the 1DX III launch. It was weird, because in several different forums different Sony trolls criticized the 1DXIII for not being able to do 6K RAW video. Now it was an odd point, because at the time no other camera could do what this one could with RAW video, up to 5.5K. No Sony could touch it. But you had all sorts of trolls trying to make it seem like there was this big deficiency with the 1DX III. Now they quieted down on that as many told them that Sony couldn't even do 5.5K RAW, or any internal RAW for that matter.

But we see this all of the time with the Sony trolls. So we don't know if they are paid, but the army of Sony trolls exists, and it swarms with efficiency and message discipline.
Thanks. So, there is no evidence that Sony pays trolls and it is another conspiracy theory.

• Wow
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Thanks. So, there is no evidence that Sony pays trolls and it is another conspiracy theory.

There is, however, plenty of evidence that the trolls coordinate with each other on talking points. (Whether that's at Sony's behest or not cannot be proven from what is out in public today, but it's pretty doggone likely IMHO; is there an alternative explanation?)

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
There is, however, plenty of evidence that the trolls coordinate with each other on talking points. (Whether that's at Sony's behest or not cannot be proven from what is out in public today, but it's pretty doggone likely IMHO; is there an alternative explanation?)
I asked the question whether there is direct evidence, as has been categorically stated by several, that Sony pays trolls to trash Canon. The answers have been “obviously“ no direct evidence and just conspiracy theory comments like yours. Fanatics from QAnon to anti-vaxxers to political supporters to racists etc are all over the web, and individuals feed off each other, repeating claims without being paid. Memes spread by diffusion. I would not dispute in some cases there is central organisation to get things going and feed. Based on your argument, there may well be some who believe you and others are being paid by Canon to promote the claims that there are paid Sony trolls.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I asked the question whether there is direct evidence, as has been categorically stated by several, that Sony pays trolls to trash Canon. The answers have been “obviously“ no direct evidence and just conspiracy theory comments like yours. Fanatics from QAnon to anti-vaxxers to political supporters to racists etc are all over the web, and individuals feed off each other, repeating claims without being paid. Memes spread by diffusion. I would not dispute in some cases there is central organisation to get things going and feed. Based on your argument, there may well be some who believe you and are being paid by Canon to promote the claims that there are paid Sony trolls.
Not to mention Canon DID lack DR, IBIS, eye AF and a few smaller features at the time were Sony discussions were much more frequent on this forum.

The importance of these features may have been overstated by a lot of Sony supporters. But I also feel like many who originally dismissed them are much more keen on these features, now that they have had first hand experience with it (and Canon actually has surpassed Sony, making the features even more useful).

The sentiment that Canon's doom was just around the corner may be a dead meme (for once, literally) by now, but it started out as sincere and that bit did always seem annoying to me. I don't know if Sony is to blame for it themselves, but there was a weird culture around their cameras.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Not to mention Canon DID lack DR, IBIS, eye AF and a few smaller features at the time were Sony discussions were much more frequent on this forum.

The importance of these features may have been overstated by a lot of Sony supporters. But I also feel like many who originally dismissed them are much more keen on these features, now that they have had first hand experience with it (and Canon actually has surpassed Sony, making the features even more useful).

The sentiment that Canon's doom was just around the corner may be a dead meme (for once, literally) by now, but it started out as sincere and that bit did always seem annoying to me. I don't know if Sony is to blame for it themselves, but there was a weird culture around their cameras.
And Sony DR, IBIS and eyeAF were trashed here. No doubt by the many paid Canon trolls in CR, coordinated by their leader CanonFanBoy.;) Interestingly, looking at the frequency of posting on Fredmiranda forums, you can see that Sony is by far the most frequent, with Canon far behind and Nikon a distant third. There are indeed many more active Sony supporters in net forums.

Upvote 0
4) no 8K video
6) only 24 MP
9) doesn’t make toast
10) only 24 MP

11) Doesn't make Coffee
12) Cannot spot-weld under water

Upvote 0
On a more serious level (since the rumors are slow) - what should we expect in therms of CFexpress write performance?

From articles/tests available online (that I for whatever reason can't seem to find right now), it looks like that the R5 is limited to approx 300MB/sec, whereas there are many CFe cards that can do way more than that.

What about the list of lenses that supports the full 30fps?

Does all the RF lenses support the full 12fps of the R5?

Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
Obviously none of us will have direct evidence of the Sony trolls being paid. And of course, it could just be a case of groupthink, where a trend gets started. But there is still an army of Sony trolls out there.

But here is what I have observed. There is a lot of message discipline among the troll army. They tend to repeat the same talking points in the same way.

I am a political junkie and it is known that good political campaigns conduct their messaging on the opponent in a certain way. First, stay on message and have all messengers repeat the same thing. Second, find something to spin in a negative way on the opponent, even if it is really a positive. The funny example was given by LBJ who said if he could walk on water, his opponents would criticize him for not being able to swim.

I saw an example of this with the 1DX III launch. It was weird, because in several different forums different Sony trolls criticized the 1DXIII for not being able to do 6K RAW video. Now it was an odd point, because at the time no other camera could do what this one could with RAW video, up to 5.5K. No Sony could touch it. But you had all sorts of trolls trying to make it seem like there was this big deficiency with the 1DX III. Now they quieted down on that as many told them that Sony couldn't even do 5.5K RAW, or any internal RAW for that matter.

But we see this all of the time with the Sony trolls. So we don't know if they are paid, but the army of Sony trolls exists, and it swarms with efficiency and message discipline.
I think perhaps we--myself included--spend too much time on the InterWebs.

Frankly, what "Sony Trolls" (and, yes, I was attacked by Sony fanatics for giving an honest opinion about Sony's failure to implement compressed RAW in its cameras even when my overall entry was quite positive about a Sony camera) think about a 1DX 3 (or an R3) is going to have 0 impact on any photographer who might be in the market for such a camera.

In short, Sony owned full-frame mirrorless for years. They took the leap and were greatly rewarded for releasing innovative and high-performing cameras. Canon and Nikon came in late with half-baked efforts and took some market share from Sony. However, shortly thereafter, Canon introduced the R5, a true tour de force. Sony has been hemorrhaging market share ever since. With the soon-to-be released R3 and Z9--assuming these cameras live up to expectations--Sony will lose even more market share. It will then be truly a 3-horse contest, and that's a good thing for photography.

Meanwhile, please release some interesting rumors, so that we can stop rehashing dead and well-beatened arguments.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
My aunt told me that when she retired, her take-home pay nearly doubled. For most of us it is less extreme. Still what people often don’t realize is that in the US when you quit having earned income, you no longer are paying payroll or self-employment taxes. And when you quit saving for retirement, those payments are not going out. For middle income folks, that can be like a 20% or 30% raise if the income stays about the same. When you are no longer supporting kids or elderly parents, needs can go down very fast.
Yeah – between being in a high tax bracket and after contributions to retirement and college savings plans, I get about 55% of my gross income. I've given a bit of thought to how that will change in retirement (still a good ways from that); my financial planner has given it more than a bit of thought, fortunately.

I agree with you except on one level, that being the ridiculous ever increasing health care costs in retirement, which are mostly beyond ones control.
Those costs can be pretty out of control for those in the workforce, as well. Most employers subsidize healthcare premiums at either 80% or 90%, and even with those subsidies the cost of premiums can be high, then there are often deductibles and co-insurance to be paid. I'm fortunate to have a zero-deductible plan with my premiums fully paid, so my out-of-pocket healthcare expenses are minuscule, but my employer is paying nearly $6K per month for that family coverage.

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
What I like about Sony is that they have not "crippled" their cameras to leave room for improvement. For a while it seemed that they wanted to put any innogvation into their latest cameras to give Canon a hard time. Canon sometimes seems to have new innovations, but saves them for a few cameras later. That is something I always hated about Canon.

Upvote 0