Here is the Canon RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM

Keep in mind that a 400mm f/8.0 is a 800mm f/16.0 lens with a 2x TC.
That, plus I've never seen a zoom lens on even just a 1.4x TC which is as good optically as the two f/11 primes are bare, except for the 200-400 which has a custom 1.4x built-in and optimised for that specific optic. Even then, by the time you either add another 1.4x on the back of it, or skip the built-in extender and use a 2x TC, it ''only'' matches the f/11 primes in optical quality, and the focus gets slower.

I still don't like the f/11 lenses for my own purposes, as the typical light and weather in this country simply does not support using f/11 no matter how advanced any sensor and processor may be, but I respect that the basic image quality of those lenses is absolutely superb for the money and is only really beaten by other primes. As I said in my wall of text above, I do hope this new lens is good, of course, but the idea that a consumer 100-400 f/8 could be even remotely comparable to the f/11 primes' quality is wholly unrealistic. Canon literally would not have made the f/11 lenses at all if they had a lighter, cheaper, smaller zoom in the works which came anywhere close to that quality with a TC.

Remember, the EF 100-400 L mk I was awful with TCs, and though the mk II improved the image quality a lot, it did so at a much higher price and a 2x TC was still a bit too much for it. We're looking at a sub-grand consumer-grade lens here; not only will its aperture be tiny with a TC, but I can't imagine the image quality on a 2x TC will be anything other than dreadful.

Upvote 0

esglord

EOS RP
May 9, 2019
That may be true in some cases, but not all. I already have the RF 800. I added the RF 1.4x to get 1120 at f/16 and it works quite well. I also have the RF24-240 and the RF 50 f/1.8. I figured I was done for a while since I have existing EOS M6 kit and EOS 1DxII kit with several L lenses.

There are some times when I want to fill the gap between 240 and 800. The RF 100-400 will do nicely for the price and pair well with the RF 800. Using the extender would be a bonus. The 24-240 probably pairs better withthe RF 600. I'd still like a cheap wide zoom to go with the 800/100-400 combo if I was to go that route. The f/8 aperture is not really an issue for me now that I've been using f/11 on the RF 800.

The 16 would be an intriguing addition as well - the 35 just didn't seem wide enough for my purposes. No rush to do this, but if I didn't have the other kits this I'd seriously consider these new lenses. I have time to see what else develops.
I agree with you. This lens plus a TC (while not inexpensive) falls within my budget, or the 800mm f/11 is in my budget, whereas other options to shoot at 800mm are simply beyond what I'd ever spend for the reach. I'd want to rent this lens and a TC to see if I'm comfortable with the amount of noise. The results won't be professional IQ, but it could be a lot of fun.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I tend to agree with blackcoffee17 actually. (But I concede that I do not know and I am speculating here):

And I think Canon does too. It's just that they can't release everything at the same time. A few years down the line I expect we'll start seeing some "midgrade" lenses. (And I might even be in the market for some of them.) Of course that's me guessing what's in Canon's mind(s), so we'll just have to see.
I dunno. In the old days there was always a cliff between the cheaper long focal length options and the expensive ones. You couldn't go above 500mm native without spending thousands, no matter how much people bemoaned the fact.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Like most of the "budget" RF lenses, this is an interesting marketing experiment.

With no competition from Tamron or Sigma it could prove very popular, but it's clearly going to be inferior in almost every way to the much more expensive RF 100-500mm and the EF 100-400mm.

Optically it will probably be very good in the centre (edge performance is less important with many telephoto subjects), but F8 is a serious limitation for subjects that demand fast shutter speeds and a reasonable ISO setting.

So, perhaps a great option for people buying their first telezoom, and who shoot primarily for undemanding applications such as web galleries, social media and smallish prints. Those who need better optical quality, weather-sealing, higher durability and better AF performance would be better advised to save up for L glass, and if on a tight budget to consider secondhand.

Upvote 0
Don't purchase it. Easy peasy. Photographers. Always concerned about why others like certain equipment and personalize every choice by others. As an ex music and studio producer it's notewothy and not uncommon to see musicians and other artist with multiple instruments and tools on stage, a session or performance from different brands, play and use all of them and nobody even mutters a word. Photogs seem so self concience about their own purchases so much as to discredit the choices of others. Why is this?
I think it's two things:
1) To a small extent, in the music world more of us just want to hear a nice tune and we respect that many people are trying to put out their own voice, however it is they may get there, while with photography there is a higher percentage of people who are just really, really into pushing buttons and don't see cameras as anything other than new toys to show off.
2) Mostly you're looking in the wrong places.

(Everybody else should skip this anecdote)

I used to do some studio tech work, I've been a guitar and bass tech, a session musician, and I've made a few amps, guitars and basses here and there. In my time in the music industry I met many people and communities cared much more about the equipment than the music they might play on it. People will pay a huge premium for an instrument made with a high-grade piece of a specific wood species, or seek out boutique pedals and amplifiers with very specific high-priced components just so they can say they have it. A few times when I was playing regularly I had some local engineers and randoms come up to me and say they liked my playing but why on earth was I using [brand] guitar/amp? It's especially the case in blues, rock and metal with valves vs solid state, analogue vs digital, Gibson vs Fender, etc.
There was one time that really stands out to me. I was at Gibson's London offices to back a solo singer on some ballad. I was just going to play some simple bits in the background with clean tones. We get to the recording area and one of the guys hands me an ES, I forget the model number, with P-90s. I asked for a solid Les Paul instead and he looked at me like I'd slapped him with a dead fish. He couldn't get his head around the idea of someone wanting a solid body with humbuckers for clean tones instead of a hollow body with P-90s. Then he had a total meltdown when I asked for the single channel Marshall Plexi reissue and V30 4x12 he'd set up ahead to be swapped for a multi-channel JVM and T75 2x12. At first he actually refused. For a solid three or four minutes he ranted at me about how this Plexi head had been modded with whatever special pots and resistors and they'd used cyrogenically treated valves and it was the best clean Brit tone ever and how the JVM was only some stock POS and the T75s were "sterile" and all this garbage.
Eventually the guy in charge told him to just do what I asked, we got the amp swapped over, we got the recording done and everyone said it went great. Everyone except that one studio tech. He insisted that my guitar and amp choice had been totally wrong and ruined the whole thing. The recording went up online and... no problems. Nobody cared but that one tech. But he did really, really care. I later learned I'd been dropped from Gibson's books, right after that guy had taken over as the head producer of their live sessions. He'd not complained about my playing; my choice of equipment was the deal-breaker for him.
(Done.)

This site is for product rumours and info. The people who you see on here are mostly here because they care primarily about the next product coming out. They want to know what buttons they'll get to push next. They want to know what the next focus algorithm is. They want to see test charts showing X camera has a fifth of a stop more highlight detail than Y camera. This audience is the equivalent of that irate Gibson studio tech.

If you want photographers who talk more about the photos than the equipment, you need to stop coming to websites which are focused on the equipment. Try Flickr groups; they're all about the photos, since the basic posting mechanic of that whole site revolves around photos being posted. Dive deeper into Instagram maybe. Give 500px a shot. Or try Fujifilm cameras, as that audience is in general more about the outcome than the method. But if you come to a website which only reports on Canon equipment, don't be confused as to why the comments are all about what Canon equipment should be used and how. These people do exist, everywhere, in all hobbies and industries, and that audience is what this site caters to.

I do agree that if someone isn't convinced by a particular product or product line they should simply leave it alone, and too many people do seem to think it's somehow reasonable to demand every single product is tailored to their specific requirements. (I'm looking at you, DPReview.) However, this is a gear website and people are going to talk about that gear, both what they like and what they don't like, and that is not exclusive to photography nor should be unexpected.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
I believe your impression is wrong.

It's every bit as good as the 100-400 II L, plus you can extend it to 500mm, albeit not at f/5.6 But let's see, 500mm at f/7.0 is superior to no 500mm at all.

There are two worse things about the lens compared with the old EF 100-400 II L: Apparently you can't use extenders at low zoom, and you can't adapt it to work on an M-series camera. To most people those are minor negatives.
I didn’t say anything negative about the 100-500 L, but offered the opinion that it sits in-between the inexpensive $650 100-400, and the future/rumored expensive $10-12k 200-400/500 F4 L. Because something roughly 4x less expensive is on the cusp of release and something roughly 4x more expensive is likely to eventually be released, the 100-500 could be considered an excellent mid-range lens. Mid because it is in between the two other options. This is not a knock on the lens' quality, which is excellent.
Yes, APS-C still sells more, but that market domination has been steadily shrinking and, most importantly, Canon aren't in the same boat as any of the other companies. Fuji buy most of their tech from Sony, so their R&D is lower. Nikon is in a similar boat, they've always bought their sensors and processors from other companies. Sony don't actually make much money from their cameras at all—in fact they've lost money in more financial quarters than they've profited—but they do that intentionally, positioning their cameras as loss leaders, as their real business is selling their sensor and processor tech to other companies (like Fuji), so they don't need their consumer cameras to actually make much money.
Canon don't buy in from anyone and they're not selling their consumer camera parts, either. When they put a camera out it actually has to make profit on the body itself. It's much harder for them to justify making products at those lower price points. Given they've effectively abandoned EF-M, despite selling so many units, it's hard to imagine they'll support APS-C much in the future. At least not to the extent EF-S and EF-M were.

As I've said in the 16mm f/2.8 thread, I do think RF APS-C bodies will happen, but they'll be high-density equivalents to the 7D for wildlife and open air sports shooters, and maybe a video-optimised vlogging camera; I don't think we'll see Canon making APS-C RF lenses, nor do I think we'll see any kind of RF equivalents to EOS M/Fuji X/Sony axxxx cameras. Maybe they'll put out one last M body if development and production of RF continues to be hampered, but don't expect much beyond that from Canon.

If you want a system that is really dedicated to APS-C, you're going to want to move to Fuji who are all-in on the format, or Sony who at least keep producing the bodies, even if they don't particularly make many dedicated lenses. As much as I don't like Canon's fastly-increasing prices, especially how they keep screwing over the UK by charging triple our actual tax rates, I do respect the fact that their business requires them to prioritise the more big-profit products.

To be on the safe side, I'll say both. I was told the (then-coming) lens firmware would fix it and sure enough my 85 worked fine after updating to firmware version 3, but I also already had the bodies on the latest firmware, anyway, so maybe there is some part of the body firmware that does matter and I just didn't spot it because my bodies were up to date already. And in fact I would've updated the lenses regardles, simply because there's no real reason to not update firmware on any lens or body.

I would not expect this lens to come anywhere close to the 400 f/5.6 in image quality, focus speed, or build quality. That EF lens has been a top-seller and 'the' defacto wildlife lens for decades for good reason. The only Canon-mount zooms which match its image quality (they do not exceed it) are the Canon 100-400 mk II, 200-400 f/4L, and now the RF 100-500; all L lenses, all much more expensive and heavier. No other Canon zooms can match it and no Sigma or Tamron zooms have matched it, either. Importantly, its focus is much faster than all the zooms and its build quality is superb; though it does lack full weather sealing, I used mine in heavy downpours and it didn't have a problem, and you don't have to look far to find many other people with the same sort of experiences. The phrase "built like a tank" gets thrown around too often these days and now usually only means "has some metal in it", but the EF 400mm f/5.6L genuinely is a tank of a lens.
The reality of using these long focal lengths is that zoom range and IS are very rarely of any use; what are you photographing at 400mm that you can use a shutter below 1/500th with, and when are you not going to want the maximum focal length? And if you're photographing anything which might move (which is 99% of super-tele use) then your panning can screw up stabilisation systems anyway, even in the panning modes, hence why you'll find many pros just keep the IS off entirely.
A lot of people buy a 100-400 then only use the lens at 400mm with shutters upwards of 1/1000th, rendering the zoom design and stabilisation pointless. The 400mm f/5.6L has remained the standard by which all others are judged because for the purposes these sorts of lenses are most commonly used for, it offers the best-possible optics for the price range, the best-possible focus for the price range, and build quality which is only bettered by a small handful of lenses. (Which this RF 100-400 f/8 certainly will not be part of.)

This new lens does interest me greatly and as long as the first full reviews give it an even just mediocre pass, I'll probably buy one. But I'll be doing that as someone who has moved up through the whole super-tele ecosystem, from the lamest kit zooms to the 400mm f/5.6 to the 100-400s and 150-600s, then on to the really big whites, and now I do want something as light as possible to carry on my evening strolls. If I were in the position where I was contemplating buying the EF 400mm f/5.6 used—so I'm assuming you don't have any other, bigger, higher-end lenses—I would not consider this sort of zoom lens as an alternative. The chances of it matching the optical performance are essentially zero; the 100-500 ''only'' matches the old prime, and there's no way Canon are going to produce a much cheaper, smaller lens like this which equals their premium lens in optical quality. It's very unlikely to match the old lens in focus, too; it's much easier for the larger full USM motor to move a primes' optics around than it is for the 'nano USM' motor to move around a zoom. And we know there's no way it'll match the build quality; it's a plastic, extending zoom that doesn't even have a hood included.

I have my fingers crossed this new lens is good and like I said, there's a high probability I'll buy one myself, but it is extremely difficult to recommend any lens over the old 400 5.6, at least within this price bracket, if someone doesn't already have a really high-quality optic to pair the lighter, weaker lens. The quality of that 400 all-round is superb, on par or better than anything else under the two grand mark, and the fact you can now buy one second hand so cheap and easily resell it for the same price also makes it the lowest-risk lens of its type. When you want quality, portability, a relatively low cost and you only want/can only have one lens, the 400mm f/5.6 has been the king for nearly three decades and probably will not be beaten until an RF 400mm 5/6.L is made.

Buy the old 400 used as you planned, and at worst if you don't like it you can sell it for what you paid and get this new zoom which by that point should have actually been out and been reviewed thoroughly.

Do yourself a favour and, if you do get the 85mm f/1.4L, just buy some extension tubes to do the macro shots with that lens. The two EF 100mm macros, and the RF 100 now, have really strong focus breathing, so by the time you're even at 'just' half magnification they're really more like 85mm and by the time you get to 1:1 they're at only about 65mm. The 85's stabilisation is also more competent than the EF 100mm f/2.8L's (of course the non-L doesn't hjave stabilisation at all) and the close-up quality of the 85 on tubes is better than either of the EF 100s, and by using tubes rather than inherent focus you're keeping more of the focal length, so the 85 1.4 on tubes actually ends up with a longer working distance at 0.5X and larger magnifications than the bare 100s do. This is why a lot of full-time macro pros use the EF 100mm f/2.8L on extension tubes, so they avoid both the breathing and the magnified fringing that happens if you use that lens at 1:1 bare. RF macro tubes right now are bizarrely expensive (nobody should be paying £200 for what is essentially just a spacer!), but when adapting the EF lens you can use EF tubes which are dirt cheap.

I think it'll be a long time before the EF 85mm f/1.4L isn't the best all-round short-tele to use on RF bodies, no matter if you want it for portraits, indoor sports or macro. And I say that even as someone who prefers 100mm over 85mm for most purposes; the EF f/1.4L is just that good and the other Canon lenses are that compromised.

Have you used any RF extension tubes ? Were any worth recommending?
Do any of them preserve autofocus capabilities?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I think Canon already conducted the experiment, since this lens is effectively the RF successor to the 70-300 non-L.
Yes that's one way of looking at it. I don't know the sales figures but I get the feeling that the budget RF lenses are all big sellers. Affordable enough for novices on a tight budget. Good enough for "serious" photographers that are looking to experiment.

The 600/11 and 800/11 are both popular with bird photographers, most of who seem to be older people who can't lug around a 500/4, 600/4 etc, even if they can afford them. Likewise, in the absence of competition from Tamron and Sigma, this 100-400mm should sell well to those who don't want to spend large sums on pro glass.

Currently I only own 2 RF lenses - the 800mm F11, for when I need the extra reach when photographing birds from hides, and the 24-105mm F4 which is my walkabout multi-purpose travel lens. I'll stick with adapted EF glass for other focal lengths - the RF 100-500 doesn't really offer me any advantage over the EF 100-400mm. Likewise I never need to get closer than 1:1 so the RF 100mm macro doesn't offer me anything over the EF 100mm macro.

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
what are you photographing at 400mm that you can use a shutter below 1/500th with, and when are you not going to want the maximum focal length?
Piston engine airplanes, e.g., WWII vintage fighters. But even modern turboprops.

Too fast of a shutter will make it look fake because there won't be any "blur" in the propeller. I typically use shutter priority at 1/250. I've seen great handheld shots by others as long as 1/160, but I can't pan well enough to do that.

I use a Sigma 100-400C with APS-C and I'm usually varying the zoom somewhere beyond 300 mm, which is equivalent FOV to 450 or 480 mm on full frame (depending on whether I'm using Canon or Sony APS-C).

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
That, plus I've never seen a zoom lens on even just a 1.4x TC which is as good optically as the two f/11 primes are bare, except for the 200-400 which has a custom 1.4x built-in and optimised for that specific optic. Even then, by the time you either add another 1.4x on the back of it, or skip the built-in extender and use a 2x TC, it ''only'' matches the f/11 primes in optical quality, and the focus gets slower.

I still don't like the f/11 lenses for my own purposes, as the typical light and weather in this country simply does not support using f/11 no matter how advanced any sensor and processor may be, but I respect that the basic image quality of those lenses is absolutely superb for the money and is only really beaten by other primes. As I said in my wall of text above, I do hope this new lens is good, of course, but the idea that a consumer 100-400 f/8 could be even remotely comparable to the f/11 primes' quality is wholly unrealistic. Canon literally would not have made the f/11 lenses at all if they had a lighter, cheaper, smaller zoom in the works which came anywhere close to that quality with a TC.

Remember, the EF 100-400 L mk I was awful with TCs, and though the mk II improved the image quality a lot, it did so at a much higher price and a 2x TC was still a bit too much for it. We're looking at a sub-grand consumer-grade lens here; not only will its aperture be tiny with a TC, but I can't imagine the image quality on a 2x TC will be anything other than dreadful.
I own the RF 100-500mm, the RF 800mm f/11 and the RF 1.4x and 2x, and have posted a comparative thread https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/t...-100-500mm-rf-800mm-and-ef-400mm-do-ii.40550/
I found on the R5 the 100-500mm + RF 2x at 1000mm, f/14 outresolves the bare RF 800mm f/11, and I had to put the 1.4x on the 800mm to give 1120mm f/16 for it catch up. The TCs might not be as good on the new 100-400 f/8, but we don't know yet other than diffraction will be worse. On the 100-500, they are incredibly good.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Currently I only own 2 RF lenses - the 800mm F11, for when I need the extra reach when photographing birds from hides, and the 24-105mm F4 which is my walkabout multi-purpose travel lens. I'll stick with adapted EF glass for other focal lengths - the RF 100-500 doesn't really offer me any advantage over the EF 100-400mm. Likewise I never need to get closer than 1:1 so the RF 100mm macro doesn't offer me anything over the EF 100mm macro.
I have the RF 24-105/4L and the 100-500, which I bought to replace the EF 70-300L (I used to have the 100-400L, sold that after getting the 600/4 II). I am debating between the 24-70/2.8 IS and the 28-70/2 for use with the R3. On the 1D X, the 24-70/2.8 II was my most-used lens, but a significant part of the rationale for it was that f/2.8 lenses enable better AF specs on a DSLR; that's not the case with a MILC so I may end up using the 24-105 as my main 'walk around' lens on the R3. Going to try it, at least.

I may get replace my EF 70-200/2.8 with the RF version. Haven't been any kids' sports or performances for the past 18 months and won't be for some time to come, but the RF version is significantly smaller than the adapted EF version. For that, f/2.8 is important for indoor lighting.

Like you, I see no benefit in the RF 100L Macro. I do frequently want higher mag than the EF 100L, but that's why I have the MP-E 65 (and when that's not enough, I mount my camera on a Zeiss Stemi DV-4 stereomicroscope for 20-80x magnification).

Upvote 0
Seeing the 100-400 II next to the 100-500 reminds me of buying 'white' paint for the walls...

View attachment 200103
Haha Pantones.

But honestly I think the II and the 100-500 should not be that different. The II already came in an updated grayish white (similar to 70-300L and 70-200 III, and starkly different from the 100-400 I or 70-200 II). Lighting may have played a bigger role in those product pictures.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Of course, but IQ doesn’t matter at iso 100 when you have to shoot at 6400. What I’m saying is that such a narrow aperture makes the lens unfit for a lot of stuff where an f4 would have gotten by.

I’m used to f1.2 and that is simply because I had all the f4 lenses and they are way too often too dark. Even when I shot a lot of soccer with the 200 f2, a 2.8 would have made those shots difficult and a f7.1 wouldn’t have been remotely possible.

and when the 100-500 costs a huge amount of money, it should be f5,6 at least. The R5 is good at high iso, but not THAT good…
The EF 100-400 L II is a stable member in the bag of many photojournalists, landscape, wildlife, etc. photographers. When they are shooting action in low light, it is probably not their weapon of choice.

This new RF 100-500 L offers better quality, better flexibility, better portability, better stabilisation, higher magnification, less focus breathing. It will cost quite a bit more, inevitably, because that's what's called progress against an older, discounted lens and also increased manufacturing and development costs.
It's the exact same story with the RF 14-35 etc. etc. newer, better, considerably more expensive (and despite it's high cost, it will be difficult to get for many months).

Comparing it against 400/2.8 and the like is completely pointless. They serve a completely different purpose and there is a need for both.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

fox40phil

People, Events, Sports & Wildlife
Apr 12, 2013
Germany
www.phileas-schoenberg.de
Upvote 0