Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Does this mean you like all the other 4 better (including the cat)? I can only submit 3, so I have to pare it down to 3 one way or another.
Actually I like more 1, 3 and 5. The reason: 2 and 4 are interesting but by one and the same reason. My problem is that looking at them I'm interested for a short time (the action off course!). Looking at 1, 3 and 5 I have my attention captured for much longer time (well, since I'm detail/sharpness maniac it shouldn't be so surprising :) - I have more to discover)! For example - with the cat I always want to zoom in the photo to see the structure of that ice crystals (and not only that)!
On other hand since I'm not exposing/selling my photos I have no idea what the "regular (I mean the more abundant) public" will prefer more. And it's what you are in front of! - some other guys in this topic most probably have way more experience than me with this!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Actually I like more 1, 3 and 5. The reason: 2 and 4 are interesting but by one and the same reason. My problem is that looking at them I'm interested for a short time (the action off course!). Looking at 1, 3 and 5 I have my attention captured for much longer time (well, since I'm detail/sharpness maniac it shouldn't be so surprising :) - I have more to discover)! For example - with the cat I always want to zoom in the photo to see the structure of that ice crystals (and not only that)!
On other hand since I'm not exposing/selling my photos I have no idea what the "regular (I mean the more abundant) public" will prefer more. And it's what you are in front of! - some other guys in this topic most probably have way more experience than me with this!
Thanks for the response, ISv. I like the action of 2 & 4 a lot, but they suffer from lack of sharpness(2) or a distracting background(4). The other 3 are indeed sharp - of those I prefer 1 for a more interesting pose (to me) and 5 (like you) to zoom in on the snowflakes or Ollie(cat) details. But us pixel peepers are definitely not what the general public is. I think they enjoy the overall look and if it resonates with them at a dismally low price then they might consider buying one. But I'm not entering these for money (they probably won't sell any anyway) so I just enjoy showing them off and hearing kind words about them. Photography is, and will always be, just a fun hobby for me.

Upvote 0
One of the wintering Marbled Godwits paused long enough to catch a few frames of it against the reflection of the Belt of Venus.
SDR14807A-4K.jpg

R5 600 II w/1.4x 1/60 : f/6.3 : ISO 1000

• Love
Reactions: 18 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Alan for the result is more than excellent!

Now half-joking, heavy crop or not, are you sure that at 65m that these photos aren't taken with the RF100-500 and the RF2X ? :D

Fully joking: Doubled with Topaz- Gigapixel :ROFLMAO:

You have certainly put the new 100-400 to good use...
Here is the full image and a screen shot showing the distance. OK, I exaggerated: it was only 64.33m not 65. DxO Deepprime noise reduction and default settings for sharpening.

309A0784-DxO_gadwalls-full_small.jpgScreenshot 2021-11-15 at 20.42.13.png

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Here is the full image and a screen shot showing the distance. OK, I exaggerated: it was only 64.33m not 65. DxO Deepprime noise reduction and default settings for sharpening.

View attachment 201210View attachment 201211
Excellent photo as always Alan. Coming back from the second consecutive excursion I feel I want to rest (and PP my photos) so the

View attachment 201210View attachment 201211
Thanks! I guess I had a wrong impression of the distance. I started searching dng images for metadata info about distance and I found a Pelican I shot at 75m at 500mm and I made sense of the distance.

Here at 100% cropcrop100-1.jpg
and here the full frame:
full-frame.jpg

So thanks for that. I was under the impression that the distances had to be closer. I had to read it to believe it was 75.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Excellent photo as always Alan. Coming back from the second consecutive excursion I feel I want to rest (and PP my photos) so the

Thanks! I guess I had a wrong impression of the distance. I started searching dng images for metadata info about distance and I found a Pelican I shot at 75m at 500mm and I made sense of the distance.

Here at 100% cropView attachment 201214
and here the full frame:
View attachment 201213

So thanks for that. I was under the impression that the distances had to be closer. I had to read it to believe it was 75.
I like the full frame.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0