Canon’s next RF mount camera is in the field

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
"Failures" lol. They learned they can sell a lot of cameras without needing to produce a big range of dedicated or high end lenses. I would expect them to release some of the other M lenses as RF-S because of the minimal development costs, but beyond that I think you misunderstand who they aim these things at. You want higher end, you use RF or adapted EF.

(If they won't put weather sealing in consumer superteles that you might expect to use in rain like the RF 800 f/11, I think there's no chance the APS-C ones will get it).
You laugh at me, but you defend the pathetic crap Canon did with the EOS-M line? I laugh at you. LOL I hate seeing stuff like this. The M50 accomplished exactly what it was intended, but they left a lot of potential on the table which is why I abandoned their APS-C cameras for Fujifilm. It never matured into the camera system that matched the performance capability of the M6 Mark II. Adapting EF and EF-S lenses completely negates the benefits of building a small mirrorless system,

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
To change the subject slightly, do you think Canon will introduce a 1-stop speed booster for the APS-C R-mount cameras like they have available for the C70? Doing the math, with a 1.6X crop factor, they could conceivably do a 1-1/3 stop booster.
The Canon speedbooster isn't specific to the C70, the "not compatible" talk seems to deal with lens corrections being available, not with actual compatibility. In one of the R7 live streams someone asked Rudy Winston about it and he said something like "I think it will work... <pause> ehm... <pause> I'm not sure why it isn't officially supported, maybe software?" It was funny to see Rudy remember the official line after starting to answer :)

I would be nice if someone could actually test it in a store or rent it and report back with the results :) My suspicions is that on the C70 Canon added special correction profiles for certain lenses when used with the speedbooster, the other lenses will be distorted. I don't know if the speedbooster itself adds distortion or not, but given the amount of software correction needed for most RF lenses, I wouldn't be suprised to see the speedbooster adding distortion.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

bergstrom

Photographer
Feb 23, 2015
Anything wrong with the current R or RP that makes you so desperate?

RP was a letdown, crap battery etc.. RP2 hopefully will have same pixels or even slightly higher, maybe an upgrade in fps, LPE6 battery, proper 4k, no recording limit or increased to an hour at leasta d hopefully it can come in under $1400.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
RP was a letdown, crap battery etc.. RP2 hopefully will have same pixels or even slightly higher, maybe an upgrade in fps, LPE6 battery, proper 4k, no recording limit or increased to an hour at leasta d hopefully it can come in under $1400.
I suspect an RP2 would be the same as the original, but with the R6 sensor and Digic X. It will probably lack IBIS as well.

My M6II is giving focus errors with the 32mm f/1.4 (the store is being difficult about getting it checked), so I'm looking for a small camera to complement my R5. The R10/R7 are a decent option, but this rumoured vlogging-without-evf model sounds even more interesting.

Upvote 0
More than likely just up like the Canon M200. As much as it sucks to hear it they are going to gear the camera towards VLogging. The small % of people that will complain about the minor things it has issues with when it comes to photography will not be a priority to them as it most likely won't be enough people to matter. For the general public most will be happy with the stills capabilities it will have at that price point, just as they were with the M200.
I was really sad to hear that the M-series cameras were on their way out. I had just decided to buy one. I rented a M6 for a trip instead of taking one of my other cameras and I LOVED the size, weight, and, ultimately, the picture quality. Not the greatest but certainly acceptable for the use. So, rather than buying a camera with a known short-ish lifespan, I'm holding off until Canon drops the replacement. I like that my RF lenses may come into use. On the other hand, most of my RF lenses are NOT small, light and versatile. So.. we'll wait and see. Maybe Canon will come out with a small RF lens to match the small body. I dunno.

Meh.. I should probably just buy the M6. I have an AE-1 and an A-1.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I was really sad to hear that the M-series cameras were on their way out. I had just decided to buy one. I rented a M6 for a trip instead of taking one of my other cameras and I LOVED the size, weight, and, ultimately, the picture quality. Not the greatest but certainly acceptable for the use. So, rather than buying a camera with a known short-ish lifespan, I'm holding off until Canon drops the replacement. I like that my RF lenses may come into use. On the other hand, most of my RF lenses are NOT small, light and versatile. So.. we'll wait and see. Maybe Canon will come out with a small RF lens to match the small body. I dunno.

Meh.. I should probably just buy the M6. I have an AE-1 and an A-1.
Unlike you, I'm still rather in the EF sytem (14 EFs, 1 RF lens...).
That's why I've decided to buy an M6 II. The M system is not yet discontinued, even though , it seems, no longer evolving. But a good camera last 1 or more decades, so, getting an M 6 can't be an error. I doubt the "mini" APS/C R will as small, and the RF lenses rather huge...
M6 plus 3 lenses, and you have an excellent lightweight system, for certainl less money than the RF APS /C equivalent.

Upvote 0
Unlike you, I'm still rather in the EF sytem (14 EFs, 1 RF lens...).
That's why I've decided to buy an M6 II. The M system is not yet discontinued, even though , it seems, no longer evolving. But a good camera last 1 or more decades, so, getting an M 6 can't be an error. I doubt the "mini" APS/C R will as small, and the RF lenses rather huge...
M6 plus 3 lenses, and you have an excellent lightweight system, for certainl less money than the RF APS /C equivalent.
I do still have a number of EF lenses. Heck, I even have some FD lenses! LOL. (Yes.. sometimes I put them on the EOS R and then decide I hate them there and put them back where they belong. But I can. I don't have gear syndrome in regard to buying cameras. But I have a weakness for lenses.) But.. yeah.. I think I'm gonna get one too. I wish the prices would come down a bit. But.. meh.. it's only money, right? LOL

Upvote 0
You laugh at me, but you defend the pathetic crap Canon did with the EOS-M line? I laugh at you. LOL I hate seeing stuff like this. The M50 accomplished exactly what it was intended, but they left a lot of potential on the table which is why I abandoned their APS-C cameras for Fujifilm. It never matured into the camera system that matched the performance capability of the M6 Mark II. Adapting EF and EF-S lenses completely negates the benefits of building a small mirrorless system,
Oh dear. Listen, I have no strong opinions about the M line. I just don't imagine every device or range has to meet my personal needs, or those of every potential customer. Some things are aimed at casual users, newbies, or people for whom price or size trump all other considerations. I'm quite willing to believe Fuji's APS-C offerings are better for enthusiasts or professionals, but they are a very different company with different goals (or rather, they seek to achieve the same goal, maximising profit, by a different strategy to Canon).

You need to try and look at things from different perspectives, you might feel less frustrated that way.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Agreed. So Metabones it is. I own one (1.4x) to attach EF lenses to an M5. It's pretty erratic but the image quality is better than I expected.
According to the Q&A on B&H for the Canon 1.4X speed booster, originally intended to use with the C70, that booster does work with both the R7 and R10. The responses to questions for both Metabones were pretty negative.

Update: B&H calls it "Canon Mount Adapter EF-EOS R 0.71x"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Please remove the extremely irritating "consent to cookies" window that pops up every time I click on any link on this site.

I'm happy to click on "I consent" or "I don't consent" ONCE per visit, but when the consent dialog appears a dozen or more times on every page of the site it becomes intensely irritating.

Are you trying to lose your existing visitors?

It sure looks that way...

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Maybe lack of ibis?
This is what bothers me most, when using my "new" baby, the EF 180 macro.
My experience:

Using the 180mm macro on 5DS, 5DMkiv and R5 bodies, IBIS only makes a very small amount of difference to hand-holdability - probably about a 0.5 to 1 stop improvement with the R5 in my case (IBIS effectiveness will vary according to how "shaky" the photographer is).

Using my other EF lenses (that have OIS) on the above bodies shows that by far the biggest contribution to reducing camera shake comes from the OIS, not the IBIS.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
My experience:

Using the 180mm macro on 5DS, 5DMkiv and R5 bodies, IBIS only makes a very small amount of difference to hand-holdability - probably about a 0.5 to 1 stop improvement with the R5 in my case (IBIS effectiveness will vary according to how "shaky" the photographer is).

Using my other EF lenses (that have OIS) on the above bodies shows that by far the biggest contribution to reducing camera shake comes from the OIS, not the IBIS.
Thanks for the info. 1 stop improvement will not justify the acquisition of a new body, money saved for travel!
Anyway, since I dislike using very high ISO, my 180mm will most often be used with a ringflash.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
My experience:

The longer the lens, the more important OIS and less importance of IBIS.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
My experience:

I haven't noticed any (big) improvement in the resulting pictures either, but the EVF is a lot more pleasant to use with IBIS enabled.

Upvote 0

AlP

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2018
It looks like Canon is exploring options using a foldable rear screen:
Screen 1.png

Screen 2.png
(Source: USPTO)
Note that both are shown with an RF mount (not M mount). The second example is particularly interesting as it offers controls usually found on larger camera bodies; It also has a rather weirdly shaped grip at the front (not shown in the picture) to keep size at a minimum. The body is as tall as the mount, meaning that these cameras would barely be larger than an M6.
Could this be a future vlogger-style camera? The text in the rumour hinted at a new type of rear display, but I doubt that a camera which is already in the field now will have a foldable one

Upvote 0