Canon’s 2024 Roadmap, and the timeline surprised us [CR3]

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 9, 2018
****** the R1. (Sorry for strong language, but it's directed at hardware and not people, so it might be ok)
That beast of a camera is for nerds and Scrooge McDuck.
As an owner of an R7 and an R6 I am absolutely fascinated by a possible R5II as a replacement for my two camera bodys.
Especially since I tried the R3s eyetracking at the photopia last year, which absolutely blew my mind.
If they bring eyetracking in the R5mark2, I will buy it, even if it is more expensive than the original R5
Eyetracking is the reason why ,after the R3 got launched, I didn't buy the the R5.
I too was impressed with the R3, not only by the eye-control AF, but also by what I think are the best ergonomics on the market. Sadly, it doesn't fit in my carrying system, the R1 won't either.
The best of both worlds, for me, would (will?) be the R5 with eyetracking AF, so, the R5 II.
And I'm d*** egoistically happy it comes ahead of the R1! :)

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Another way to look at this is that maybe Canon is giving more time to ramp up production of both the R5 MK2 and R1 so there will be plenty of stock to fulfill preorders. In the past, sometimes we had to wait 3-4 months to receive a unit after the official release date. Such a scenario is fine with me.

Upvote 0

HMC11

Travel
Canon Rumors Premium
Sep 5, 2020
I'm late.. is Canon Doomed™?
Most certainly. Whatever they put out, someone will bound to be not happy (enough). For me, I am somewhat excited at how low the price of a new R5 can go. At this point, USD3000 is a very attractive price, and that may creep downwards a little more nearer the R5II release date. It could well be a very good bargain for someone like me who has no ambition to buy a new R5II at launch. A heavily discounted new R5, which is still an excellent camera that can remain relevant for a good many years for my use case, represents a promising purchase prospect.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Eyetracking is the reason why ,after the R3 got launched, I didn't buy the the R5.
I too was impressed with the R3, not only by the eye-control AF, but also by what I think are the best ergonomics on the market. Sadly, it doesn't fit in my carrying system, the R1 won't either.
The best of both worlds, for me, would (will?) be the R5 with eyetracking AF, so, the R5 II.
And I'm d*** egoistically happy it comes ahead of the R1! :)
Although it was not designed for the size, I was able to make the R5 with battery grip fit!

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Well, the nO 3Rd PaRtIeS card is still usable
Followed by this same argument:
"#1 announcement"
"I'm going to switch to Sonikon and other people will too!"
"that's ok, other other people will replace you when they buy their first camera."
"High F number!"
"Noise Reduction!"
[Ignore / Insult / block]

• Haha
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Most certainly. Whatever they put out, someone will bound to be not happy (enough). For me, I am somewhat excited at how low the price of a new R5 can go. At this point, USD3000 is a very attractive price, and that may creep downwards a little more nearer the R5II release date. It could well be a very good bargain for someone like me who has no ambition to buy a new R5II at launch. A heavily discounted new R5, which is still an excellent camera that can remain relevant for a good many years for my use case, represents a promising purchase prospect.
People who really need to save money can buy the original 5D for around $250 last time I checked.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Most likely a ploy by Canon marketing to get some to believe that it will not be until April. Canon most likely is already prepared to announce the R5II at any moment. Simply marketing tactics stir up anticipation buzz. Allowing for any overnight firmware algorithm adjustments. There's plenty of headroom with a stacked sensor and dual CF express cards. If Canon has employed a multi resolution sensor configuration, there are many firmware options.

Upvote 0

Richard CR

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 27, 2017
Canada
www.canonnews.com

I'm very curious to see the R5 Mark II! When it comes to their 5 series and their 1 series.. they are always freaking interesting cameras.

and yes, lower prices on the excellent R5 is never a bad thing either and don't forget used R5's too!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Richard CR

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 27, 2017
Canada
www.canonnews.com
Followed by this same argument:
"#1 announcement"
"I'm going to switch to Sonikon and other people will too!"
"that's ok, other other people will replace you when they buy their first camera."
"High F number!"
"Noise Reduction!"
[Ignore / Insult / block]
BuT nO gLoBaL sHuTtEr!!

• Haha
Upvote 0

Richard CR

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 27, 2017
Canada
www.canonnews.com
Just to add. I thought of this after writing up the latest patent application I was reading today.

Canon's fabs more than sales may be dictating camera releases. Canon isn't going to release a popular camera until the sensor yields are where they want them to be.

So all these timeline rumors even from last year, could have been true - at the time.

But as things progress, and if the fabrication plants are struggling with yields, that shoves the entire timeline back until they can get things up to snuff - or enough sensors produced for the camera side.

I forget what paper or patent .. but it was completely unrelated Canon has dropped down to around 50-60nm in chip tech currently from what their patents were describing. this is a huge step from around the 95;ish nm they were the last time it was communicated anywhere.

And that doesn't include ADC and signal processing layers which usually use smaller geometries - if Canon doesn't have the equipment really to do any of this, then they have to do multi-patterning to create smaller design rules with older equipment.

As Canon works on faster sensors, they have more of a challenge to control heat, timing, and power requirements. Advanced stacking, more layers, etc all come into play.

So this could all come down to an engineering problem that Canon is working through for the R1.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0