The future of the Canon EOS-1D X series [CR1]

One out of a thousand is generous. The "one" that Harry is talking credit for was actually by a designated hitter (Northlight) and all he did was re-post it.

---

Technically, I got the "rumour" first from various European electronic engineering websites in the Netherlands and Germany AND THEN I found the actual documents on Northlight Imaging UK's Website AND THEN brought the Canon C700x docs to the attention of North America (I live there!). It looked like at the time that NO ONE had ever seen or heard of the docs OTHER THAN at Northlight, so you could say that I was one of the first to bring larger attention to what I PERSONALLY BELIEVE were "pre-press draft documents" created originally in Singapore by Canon for the English-speaking world markets. These docs outline a C700x camera which came to be very similar to the actual C700 camera released a year later or so. The specs were almost identical but the form-factor was significantly different.

In fact, I NOW BELIEVE that those "leaked" docs contained the true specs of the C700 Cinema Camera BUT imagery of actual prototypes or mockups for the upcoming Canon C300 Mk3 8K cinema camera version which I think will be, at the very least, announced at NAB 2019 this coming April! It seems that Canon is/was working on MULTIPLE Cinema EOS systems at the same time and that they are all minimum 4K, 5.7K and now 8K 60 fps+ Global Shutter cameras.

---

Now, the SPECS I have been espousing as of late are from a VERY DIFFERENT COMPANY NOT NORMALLY KNOWN for high end professional broadcast audio/video equipment! I will hide as to whom or how, but I will declare that I have some VERY SPECIFIC INFORMATION not normally known to the general public BUT seems to be tacitly acknowledged within certain electronics engineering circles.

I will say that the NEW GEAR is a VERY SIGNIFICANT ADVANCE in terms of COMBINED Stills/Video capability AND has medium format GLOBAL SHUTTER image sensors at 50.3 megapixel stills and DCI 8K video resolutions. A series of smartphones with the largest GLOBAL SHUTTER single image sensors ever put on smartphones are ALSO being introduced at the same time! ALL these devices and their requisite accessories will be sold at price points and with built-in feature sets that will make it VERY DIFFICULT for Canon and other mainstream Audio/Video manufacturers to compete!

I expect that by late September/Early October 2019, that the world is going to be VERY VERY SURPRISED at what is coming out from waaaaay out of left-field! In my opinion, THESE SYSTEMS ARE ALL HOME RUNS! From a pure feature-set and technical specifications viewpoint AND a pure base image quality viewpoint, I cannot see Canon (and others!) being ABLE TO MATCH what is coming out at these new price points!

These ARE GAME-CHANGERS !!!! Of that, I see without ANY doubt whatsoever!
I am just very frustrated though as to the specific TIMING of these announcements and sales dates!
REMEMBER! You heard it HERE FIRST !!!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Somebody drinking such a cheap and disgusting Cognac imitation like Asbach Uralt :sick: urgently needs professional help!
This stuff is usually drunk in Germany by drop-outs, age over 80....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

it's $45 a bottle for Abach Uralt here and $150+ a bottle for the Cognacs, To me I usually drink the Asbach Uralt brandy straight over ice OR add it into my espresso-style coffees AND I marinate my T-Bone steaks in it overnight before I put them on the gas BBQ !!! Tastes GREAT !!!! and is a heck of a lot CHEAPER than French Cognac!

---

It's a FAVOURITE straight drink and coffee/tea additive in southern Germany (i.e. Bavaria) so don't insult the locals with your comment!

Upvote 0
Canon is DOOOOOOOMED !!!!! I tell you! Doooooooooooooooomed !!!!!!!!!!!!

The CRUEL NATURE of this is something I cannot speak about as of yet.... but I can tell that a NEW company now has 100 reasons compared to Canon's 93! Guess what Canon! Sometimes the 1000 pound Gorilla SMACKS EVERYONE and TRULY -- TRULY --- demonstrates with monstrous proof that he IS King of the Beasts!

Oooooh BOOOY !!!!! OUCH! This is gonna hurt! You're going to be KILLED on still image and video quality, feature set, price AND QUALITY OF BOTH body and lenses! And on the lenses, they will be EXCEEDING Zeiss Quality at in-between Xeen and Sigma Prices! And wait until you see the "Mobile Devices!"

YOU'RE DEAD IN THE WATER !!!
Came here for this

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Yes if you move the selected point across several of the available points, but the real advantage is that it will then maintain and track focus which is very unreliable with modern viewfinders and minimal focus throw.. That is why I have only cross type AF points selectable (they are much more precise) and I have scroll through so going from extreme left to right is one move not half a dozen.
Since I’ve never had a camera with a joystick to move focus points around, I wonder about the following: In the time you move the focus point around with a joystick, couldn’t you just focus manually?

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Yes if you move the selected point across several of the available points, but the real advantage is that it will then maintain and track focus which is very unreliable with modern viewfinders and minimal focus throw.. That is why I have only cross type AF points selectable (they are much more precise) and I have scroll through so going from extreme left to right is one move not half a dozen.

After playing with the R for a short time I can see how the control ring can be advantageous. I have it for manual shooting on ISO but thought how handy it could be for one of the AF point movements. I have yet to become a fan of the thumb on the 1DX2 joystick. And when I'm top centre and need to move far left it hangs up on the edge of top centre and requires you to move it down and then left. Surely Canon knows if you're pressing to go left that that's what you want to happen. Having the whole AF area is sure nice with the R.

Jack

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
After playing with the R for a short time I can see how the control ring can be advantageous. I have it for manual shooting on ISO but thought how handy it could be for one of the AF point movements. I have yet to become a fan of the thumb on the 1DX2 joystick. And when I'm top centre and need to move far left it hangs up on the edge of top centre and requires you to move it down and then left. Surely Canon knows if you're pressing to go left that that's what you want to happen. Having the whole AF area is sure nice with the R.

Jack

I've never gotten used to using the joystick for moving the af point on 1dx either.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

Jack
My favorite setting on the older 45 point AF 1 series cameras was 9 or 15 points that was selected in a rotation pattern via the rear thumb wheel, very fast and efficient, much quicker than the single joystick especially in portrait mode. And faster than the stepping from top/bottom to middle rows now.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
My favorite setting on the older 45 point AF 1 series cameras was 9 or 15 points that was selected in a rotation pattern via the rear thumb wheel, very fast and efficient, much quicker than the single joystick especially in portrait mode. And faster than the stepping from top/bottom to middle rows now.

OK, imagine that operation on the control wheel of the lens; the AF point would zip around in a blink. So how can we get Canon to listen?;)

Jack

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
Many of my companions carried over 120 lbs of gear for that same distance! Humans are POWERFUL creatures well adapted for long distance on-ground travel and CAN EASILY take a lot of punishment if well-trained.

Repeated army research around the World has found the maximum sustainable load for an infantryman on the march to be about 20kg / 45lbs. Fit soldiers, well-trained and disciplined. A bunch of untrained civvies can manage about half that.

Beyond that point the energy expended to carry additional weight exceeds the benefits of the load.

If your team members were carrying 120lb then something went very badly wrong in planning and I'd stay well away from that group in the future. The British Marines and Para ended-up individually carrying that weight across the Falkland Islands because their helicopter support was sunk by Exocets. They suffered a lot of injuries as a result particularly on rough terrain masked by grass.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
it's $45 a bottle for Abach Uralt here and $150+ a bottle for the Cognacs, To me I usually drink the Asbach Uralt brandy straight over ice OR add it into my espresso-style coffees AND I marinate my T-Bone steaks in it overnight before I put them on the gas BBQ !!! Tastes GREAT !!!! and is a heck of a lot CHEAPER than French Cognac!

---

It's a FAVOURITE straight drink and coffee/tea additive in southern Germany (i.e. Bavaria) so don't insult the locals with your comment!
Guess you are speaking of some eighty year old recluse living in a dark corner of the Black Forest, sorry, but nobody in Germany drinks that booze anymore...
Sad for the t-bones and the espresso, they deserve better!

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Repeated army research around the World has found the maximum sustainable load for an infantryman on the march to be about 20kg / 45lbs. Fit soldiers, well-trained and disciplined. A bunch of untrained civvies can manage about half that.

Beyond that point the energy expended to carry additional weight exceeds the benefits of the load.

If your team members were carrying 120lb then something went very badly wrong in planning and I'd stay well away from that group in the future. The British Marines and Para ended-up individually carrying that weight across the Falkland Islands because their helicopter support was sunk by Exocets. They suffered a lot of injuries as a result particularly on rough terrain masked by grass.
As a fit hiker, over6 feet tall and strong, I can handle 90 pounds portaging a canoe and pack for about two kilometres, and at the end I am very happy to put it down! When backpacking the limit drops to 30 pounds. Anything more is poor planning.

At work, they made a testing backpack that weighed 80 pounds. It injured people.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Nope! No Helicopter at the time. But it was an on-ground assignment and old Sony BV-series SP/DigiBeta cameras are DAMN HEAVY and at the time used NiCad which accounted for most of the weight. And sand doesn't take human footsteps well which exhausts you after a while AND it's HOT in the desert! 35+ C! -- The amount of water you have to carry is astounding but even 75+ LBS (30+ KG) is quite doable for 20 miles (30 km) by larger fitter males (i'm 6'1" and 250 lbs). Many of my companions carried over 120 lbs of gear for that same distance! Humans are POWERFUL creatures well adapted for long distance on-ground travel and CAN EASILY take a lot of punishment if well-trained.
[sarcasm]Your knowledge of cameras is only exceeded by your knowledge of hiking.[/sarcasm]

Why don’t you just give up with your stream of bullshit claims and go away? You have become the mosquito of CR.....

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015

Problem I can see there is you have not only backpack with survival essentials (clothes, water, food) but also weaponry, ammunition and body armour.
Despite commonsense limits to human endurance, the problems do persist out of practicality

so I can imagine they still train for those loads.

From the comments underneath: "1995 paratrooper to Normandy vet “When you jumped into Normandy, you were carrying 100 pounds of low-tech, heavy equipment. When I jump today I carry 100 pounds of high-tech, light equipment.” :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2014
Canon's Pro EOS R body (when it arrives) will most likely be a 5D IV equivalent upgrade. Due to the specific needs of professional photographers, the 1D series will surely be the last DSLR to get a mirrorless equivalent. I imagine the 6D series, followed at some point by the 5D series will be discontinued in that order. We'd need a fair few more RF lenses before that happens, perhaps even the non-L lenses. So far, there'd be little advantage to having a 1D mirrorless. What with the lack of a number of RF lenses (yes RF is still quite new), especially telephoto plus a mirrorless design not having significant advantages for a camera of the 1D series size.

Upvote 0

---

120 lbs is a NORMAL carrying pack! North Americans tend to be MUCH LARGER than Europeans! EVERYONE in our group was 6+ and 220 to 250 lbs and it CAN and DEFINITELY WAS done at 20 clicks (30 km) a day for weeks straight! Nowadays, of course, the packs get all put into/tied to a light desert tactical vehicle and "Bob's Your Uncle", it arrives at your next checkpoint and all you have to carry is a 25 lbs water and rations daypack, and your M4 and mags!

Even on normal multi-day hikes here (200 km and more!) in the ultra rugged coastal mountains of British Columbia, I'm carrying a 105 litre mountaineering pack at around 90 lbs and many in our group are ALSO doing the same thing. Humans are DESIGNED for this! When I was younger I could carry even more. At the time, a lightweight composite polymer frame and webbing was just coming out to distribute and balance the load to the hips and back so it didn't FEEL like 120 lbs!

Humans can EASILY do 20 to 30 km a day with heavy loads! We are DESIGNED for this! This was NORMAL OPS for weeks straight!
AND the photo below is outside my back door taken a few weeks ago before the recent larger February mountain snowfalls hit us!

Climb THOSE with a 90 lbs pack into the areas on the OTHER SIDE of those background mountains a mere 15 minutes drive away!
These aren't the highlands of Scotland. The Coastal British Columbia mountains are SERIOUS back-country mountains ranging from 1500+ ft dayhikers (i.e. Stawamus Chief) up to 13,000 feet (Mt. Waddington) so we are talking SERIOUS mountaineering territory here requiring professional gear and training!

Even Stawamus Chief in Squamish BC is a bit of hike!
Mt Waddington BC:

Attachments

• Outside Back Door in Vancouver with 3000 ft mountains in Background.jpg
    Outside Back Door in Vancouver with 3000 ft mountains in Background.jpg
    942.8 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Oh Harry.

A ‘click’ is a kilometer universally, why did you convert 20 clicks to 30Km? It kinda proves you are just talking nonsense.

Also, whilst I agree many American men may well weigh over 200lbs generally that is because their diet has been sabotaged for decades and that isn’t lean muscle, heck it isn’t even muscle! The vast majority of Americans I see couldn’t lift 100lbs let alone hike with it, that is why most houses don’t have stairs and all apartments have elevators!

Upvote 0