1DX MkII samples page

Jan 29, 2011
Sporgon said:
Noise pattern at ISO 25600 looks remarkably good, and it's holding good detail in the horse hair.

I see the portrait is shot with your favourite portrait lens ;)

Well most of the regulars know that is because I am in cahoots with both Canon (and Adobe)! ;D

I am looking forwards to seeing RAW files as I am sure these samples follow the pattern of OOC jpegs, and it will be great to see 1DX and 1DX MkII comparison images to see if there are any real improvements in noise and DR performance, but after the initial personal disappointment at MP numbers I am warming to the new model if you nothing else but the very many small improvements, I want to see a video demo of the new WFT App as well..........

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
tpatana said:
Like I commented on the other thread, the 25k sample is well chosen to hide some of the noise. The dancer pic at 6400 has surprisingly plenty noise compared to what I expected after that 25k pic.

I'm pretty sure there has to have been something wrong with the post-processing of some of those images. I think even my 5D3 would beat the 3200 red dancer image's level of noise at 3200! I also think she's a bit out of focus-- doesn't seem like the best sample image.

EDIT: Just realized there's another dancer at 6400. Huh. I feel about the same about that image though-- not as impressive as the 25,600, but I don't quite understand what would be happening here.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
tpatana said:
Like I commented on the other thread, the 25k sample is well chosen to hide some of the noise. The dancer pic at 6400 has surprisingly plenty noise compared to what I expected after that 25k pic.

But I posted the link first :D

Anyway, I agree to some extent, but if you look at the mane, which was obviously the point of actual focus, the individual hairs are clearly defined, also there is no banding or color noise in the dark brown horse to image lower right and the gradation in the dark brown horse center is very smooth, which holds out some hope for usable shadows and DR.

All in all, whilst it is subject dependent, I could see finding this level of iso very usable which for me coming from a max 1600 iso 1Ds MkIII is insanely good.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
privatebydesign said:
tpatana said:

Anyway, I agree to some extent, but if you look at the mane, which was obviously the point of actual focus, the individual hairs are clearly defined, also there is no banding or color noise in the dark brown horse to image lower right and the gradation in the dark brown horse center is very smooth, which holds out some hope for usable shadows and DR.

All in all, whilst it is subject dependent, I could see finding this level of iso very usable which for me coming from a max 1600 iso 1Ds MkIII is insanely good.

Maybe there's serious banding noise only, and they aligned the bands with the hair so it blends in perfectly :)

So yes, the 25k versus the 3k/6k dancers don't make sense. Something is fishy here. The 25k might be super-processed by some Photoshop-genius. Or it might be even fake, I still remember the first commercial for the Nokia cell phone couple years ago which was supposed to have awesome camera. And the media videos/pics "shot with phone" were actually high end video rig and high end DSLR.

I'm waiting for DXO review to tell the Nikon D3100 is better, and then jump the ship.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
tpatana said:
privatebydesign said:
tpatana said:

Maybe there's serious banding noise only, and they aligned the bands with the hair so it blends in perfectly :)

So yes, the 25k versus the 3k/6k dancers don't make sense. Something is fishy here. The 25k might be super-processed by some Photoshop-genius. Or it might be even fake, I still remember the first commercial for the Nokia cell phone couple years ago which was supposed to have awesome camera. And the media videos/pics "shot with phone" were actually high end video rig and high end DSLR.

I'm waiting for DXO review to tell the Nikon D3100 is better, and then jump the ship.

Animal fur / hair is a good test for noise suppression and this doesn't look that bad, and the noise pattern is pretty tight in the background. It's a pretty good test because it's shot at about EV 5, so in other words if it had been 100 ISO you'd have been around 1/10th at f/2, or if you'd kept f/5.6 then it would be about 1 sec. DXO will love it ! It's a cheat to shoot high ISO in good light because the results always look better, and this isn't the case here.

(oops, I made that look like -5 EV !)

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
CaptureWhatYouSee said:
On sensor A/D converter mentioned:
http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2016/02/02/canon-eos-1d-x-mark-ii-hands-on-review/#null

Well spotted, but Oh NO !

This means it really could have more DR. What are we going to argue about now on CR ? Numerous Trolls - nay - hundreds of Trolls are going to have to reinvent themselves or risk unemployment ;)

Just looking at the link that Capture posted I noticed this review of the 6D vs 750D. Very interesting in what they say about the difference in DR and highlights - the 6D is well ahead overall. I've always felt the highlight fallout is much less abrupt with the Canon. I wonder if Canon have effectively been trialing this 20.2 mp sensor (sans the DPAF) in the 6D the whole time ?
http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2016/01/11/canon-eos-6d-vs-nikon-d750/

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
CaptureWhatYouSee said:
http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2016/02/02/canon-eos-1d-x-mark-ii-hands-on-review/#null

This means it really could have more DR. What are we going to argue about now on CR ? Numerous Trolls - nay - hundreds of Trolls are going to have to reinvent themselves or risk unemployment ;)
;D :p 8)

Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
Mar 5, 2013
Tleilax, Thalim Star System
Sporgon said:
CaptureWhatYouSee said:

I could see what would be the next "issue" now, based it on the DPR trolls: -4EV AF, ISO beyond 51200, number of AF points, number of AF points, number of AF points... LOL :D

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Mark D5 TEAM II said:
Sporgon said:
CaptureWhatYouSee said:

I could see what would be the next "issue" now, based it on the DPR trolls: -4EV AF, ISO beyond 51200, number of AF points, number of AF points, number of AF points... LOL :D

No, they'll still go on about the DR. Even if the almighty DXO actually scored a Canon camera the same DR as a SoNikon (did you see how much money Sony sensor division just lost?) they will keep doing that but will change tack to how long it took to catch up or the fact that the 5D (any model number) is unusable even at base iso because of severe banding, or the unsightly 'blotchyness' of some obscure artifact only visible at >200%, or the fact that even when lifted 6 stops the SoNikon is still smoother and 'more film like' with better detail and contrast.

Blah, blah, blah.........

Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Mar 5, 2013
From http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/reviews/dslrs/canon-eos-1d-x-mark-ii-review

First of all, there’s the sensor, which includes a number of firsts for Canon. It’s a 20.2-million-pixel full frame CMOS sensor that’s the firm’s first to use on-chip analogue to digital conversion. Canon says that by shortening the signal pathways used when reading the signal off the sensor, this should result in lower noise, with the main benefit being increased dynamic range and cleaner shadows at low ISOs. This sounds similar to Sony’s recent sensors, and it would be great to see Canon matching them in this respect.

Plenty of invisible changes have been made under the hood to refine the camera’s capabilities. A completely redesigned mirror assembly does away with springs, replacing them with cam drives to minimise mirror bounce and any resultant image blur. There’s a new ‘carrier wave’ dust reduction system to keep the sensor clean, which Canon says is very important given the ultra-high shooting speed, along with in-camera hot pixel mapping. An internal heat dissipation pathway helps keep the sensor cool during continuous shooting or video recording

In 2012, Canon made a professional DSLR with internal 4K video recording, in the shape of the EOS-1D C, which cost a considerable premium over the base EOS-1D X. Now the EOS-1D X Mark II includes 4K recording as standard, effectively making the 1D C redundant. It’s capable of recording in 4096 x 2160 pixel Cinema 4K at up to 60 fps from a central section of the sensor, giving an approximately 1.3x crop. A huge 800MBps bit-rate with 4:2:2 chroma subsampling and BT.601 broadcast standard colour output promises high quality footage. Recording time is up to 29min 59sec. Stills can be extracted from 4K footage at 8.8MP resolution.

Full HD video recording is also available of course, this time using the entire sensor area and including a 120fps high-speed mode. Oddly Full HD footage can be output to an external recorder, but 4K cannot.

Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Mar 5, 2013
Interesting tidbit about the built-in heatsink:

For the rest, it's classic. The EOS-1D Mark II X inherits a new battery, the LPE19 He will however be possible to use the LPE4 the 1D X, but it will be not possible to get the best out of the housing in Burst mode. Canon emphasizes that sends the heat sink of the sensor on the aluminum cage in the battery compartment to reduce overheating, including LiveView or video.

Upvote 0