A Canon DSLR Rumor Roundup Heading into 2018

Jul 21, 2010
transpo1 said:
Neuro, you accusing someone else on here of "bigotry" is the height of irony. How many have been at the receiving ends of snide or condescending remarks because their opinion differs from yours? I had another good laugh, though- "Never let the truth stand in the way of a good story."

Sure, I have ridiculed a few people who have made ridiculous statements and spouted opinions that clearly fly in the face of established fact.

That's not even close to calling the 'vast majority' of people on this forum 'ignorant'. But perhaps you find that funny, which says much about you, and none of it good.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
transpo1 said:
Hopefully, one day that question will be answered when Canon implements better 4K throughout their product range. By the way, people around here do more than ask the question- they question the validity of the ask and label those who do ask "trolls."

Canon will implement 4k. I am absolutely sure of that, but I am equally sure it is not high in their priorities right now.
People do not doubt the validity of the questions, but they do doubt two things: first they doubt the validity of claims that 'Canon do not give me what I want, and give it to me right now, Canon do not know what they are doing' and when someone does explain why they are happy with what Canon are doing, and explain why they understand why Canon did it they label those people are immediately labelled as 'fanboys' and 'shills' (and you have done this so it is a bit rich saying what you did).
And the complainers come back time and again, and whine about the same things on multiple threads, then they should not be surprised if they are called 'trolls'

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
ecka said:
The difference is that I want more, I'm ready for more, I need more ... and you don't, you can't handle more, you are afraid of more. You are too limited.

Well, that's just because you know better than him what he wants and needs, and you know better than everyone else, too. You want an articulating touch screen, so everyone needs one. You want focus peaking and zebras, so everyone needs them. Anyone who doesn't is ignorant, limited and afraid of change.

Truly, you have a dizzying intellect. It will probably help you in life, just as much as it helped the Sicilian.

Upvote 0
Quite frankly, Canon has way too many cameras, and can easily benefited from streamlining its lineup.

Quoted
[maybe canon will go mirrorless with the cheaper APS-C line, especially now that the performance is adequate. if they can robotically build the mirrorless cameras, you'd think this would be the way canon will go long term. keep the EF mount, and the general ergonomics and shove an EVF in there and voila. an easier to build rebel.]

Upvote 0
Canon can make much better cameras, and give many more video features etc, but they are holding off to make better profits and protect their margins on their more expensive gear.

The give us features when they absolutely must, and not a second before. If and when their market share is threatened, they will react... until then... each and every year they can get away with it, means more profits for them.

The worst possible thing that Canon could do for their own profits is give us a camera like the D850.

There is no longer any need to own multiple camera bodies, besides those needing the absolute fastest framerate.

Want more reach? Buy an APS-C body.
Want higher resolution? Buy a 5DsR
Want 4K video? Buy a: 5D mark IV or 1DX mark II
Want a fast framerate? Buy a 1DX mark II.

The D850 covers all of the above in a single body.
No matter what Canon you buy, you need a 2nd or 3rd body if you want it all.

The 5D mark III can now do 4K RAW video.... and the only thing stopping it being even better is card write speed.
The Canon 50D, which doesn't even shoot video by default, can do RAW video at close to 1080p too.

Magic Lantern is a good example of how Canon artificially limits their hardware.

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
mistaspeedy said:
Canon can make much better cameras, and give many more video features etc, but they are holding off to make better profits and protect their margins on their more expensive gear.

The give us features when they absolutely must, and not a second before. If and when their market share is threatened, they will react... until then... each and every year they can get away with it, means more profits for them.

The worst possible thing that Canon could do for their own profits is give us a camera like the D850.

There is no longer any need to own multiple camera bodies, besides those needing the absolute fastest framerate.

Want more reach? Buy an APS-C body.
Want higher resolution? Buy a 5DsR
Want 4K video? Buy a: 5D mark IV or 1DX mark II
Want a fast framerate? Buy a 1DX mark II.

The D850 covers all of the above in a single body.
No matter what Canon you buy, you need a 2nd or 3rd body if you want it all.

The 5D mark III can now do 4K RAW video.... and the only thing stopping it being even better is card write speed.
The Canon 50D, which doesn't even shoot video by default, can do RAW video at close to 1080p too.

Magic Lantern is a good example of how Canon artificially limits their hardware.

Have there even been any sample images from the D850 yet? We don't know if it has the low light capabilities of the 1dx2. It certainly doesn't have the frame rates. Who knows if the video is any good. I think it is still too early and probably won't ever be able to say that "The D850 covers all of the above in a single body."

Upvote 0
I agree that it is still too early to know how it performs.

Regardless... Canon has been purposely holding back on too many products for too long. Things that most other manufacturers have already had for years.
The Panasonic GH2 beats all Canon DSLRs in video clarity besides those that shoot 4K.
If you want something that beats the $1,000 GH2 (released in 2011) and are not willing to hack your firmware with Magic Lantern, then you need to spend at least ‎$3,299.00 today on a 5D mark IV in 2017. Otherwise, 6 whole years later, Canon has yet to answer it.

gsealy said:
Canon doesn't have an answer for the Panasonic GH5. Lots and lots of filmmakers are buying that camera.

They still need to beat the GH2 at a realistic price point.

Upvote 0
mistaspeedy said:

Regardless... Canon has been purposely holding back on too many products for too long. Things that most other manufacturers have already had for years.
The Panasonic GH2 beats all Canon DSLRs in video clarity besides those that shoot 4K.
If you want something that beats the $1,000 GH2 (released in 2011) and are not willing to hack your firmware with Magic Lantern, then you need to spend at least ‎$3,299.00 today on a 5D mark IV in 2017. Otherwise, 6 whole years later, Canon has yet to answer it.

gsealy said:
Canon doesn't have an answer for the Panasonic GH5. Lots and lots of filmmakers are buying that camera.

Why do you believe Canon must be all things to all people? Panasonic certainly isn't. If you prefer the GH5, or the GH2, go ahead and buy it. Why haven't you? Why do you insist Canon gives you what you want when Panasonic (allegedly) already offers it?

Upvote 0
For me it's all the same... I have super ancient and cheap Canon equipment. I like Canon.

I just don't like it when manufacturers do things like this... Intel has been doing the same thing in the CPU arena for years due to lack of proper competition. Now with some proper competition from AMD, they are finally releasing some decent stuff.

The Nikon D850 is the best news for all Canon shooters.... as well as other cameras from the competition marching forward in leaps and bounds. (Sony a6500, Sony a9 etc).
Sony seem to do everything well, and Nikon seem to be heading in that direction.

Canon can only let others get so far ahead before answering them... and they will in time.

Canon answered the 4K question in full frame cameras.
Canon answered the on-sensor ADC and dynamic range advantages in their new sensors.
Canon answered the need for a very high resolution body (5DsR)

... and they will answer the other requests when they feel the heat...

Heat is currently being applied from all sides ;)

It's just a matter of time.

Btw... I'm considering jumping to something like the a6000.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
mistaspeedy said:

gsealy said:

Yes, companies often spend more resources and have more and better patents that allow them to be industry leaders in certain areas. Panasonic has long been known as a leader in video.

So, your point is what exactly? That Canon should be the leader in video technology just 'cause you want them to? Yes, maybe they can twirl there magic wand and be better than Panasonic in video. I'm sure it is just that easy!

Upvote 0
M

Maddy262

Canon Rumors said:
In the next week or so, we’ll be seeing the announcement of at least 4 lenses, an <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/clarification-corrections-on-the-upcoming-new-lenses-from-canon-cr2/">EF 85mm f/1.4L IS as well as three new tilt shift lenses, a TS-50mm f/2.8L Macro, TS-90mm f/2.8L Macro and a TS-E 135mm f/4L Macro</a>. We’ll also see the EOS M100 mirrorless camera announced around the same time.</p>
<p>We have seen mentions of a new entry level Rebel being announced, but we don’t usually hear too much about those.</p>
<p>Beyond that, we aren’t going to be seeing new Canon DSLR until early 2018. We’ve been told that there is likely going to be a “shakeup” as far as prosumer APS-C DSLRs go. The source is trying to find out what the “shake-up will be”, but I think by the time 2018 rolls around, both the EOS 80D and EOS 7D Mark II are going to be ready for an update. Canon cannot wait 5 years again for a sequel to the EOS 7D Mark II.</p>

<p>We should also see our first 4K APS-C camera from Canon in 2018. Whether it is in mirrorless or DSLR form remains to be seen.</p>
<p>The same source says the roadmap shows a replacement for the EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R coming in 2018 as well. It’s expected by the source that Canon will amalgamate the two high megapixel bodies into one model. Nikon did the same thing after the D800 and D800E, as we only saw the D810.</p>
<p>What was interesting is that a “professional EOS-1” is said to be starting in-the-field testing in 2018. That doesn’t mean we’ll see a new body next year, but 2018 is an Olympic and FIFA World Cup year, which usually (but not always) lends monsu 2 apk itself to some new prosumer/professional gear.</p>
<p>There was no mention of a full frame mirrorless camera from this source.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
<div style="font-size:0px;height:0px;line-height:0px;margin:0;padding:0;clear:both"></div>
So eager to see the new Canon Lenses

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
CR Backup Admin said:
be prepared to get the boot.

THE BOOT
combat8.jpg

Upvote 0
sebasan said:
I hope Canon realize that 5 years cycle of update it is too much. 3 years should be the goal. I know there are not too many advances, but the market is going to be very competitive

As a hobbyist, having the discretionary income to do a roughly $3k camera purchase every 3 years (or even 5) is a lot... and that isn't at new 1DX pricing. With the release of the 1DXII, used prices for the first one have tanked.

I would very much like a high megapixel sensor from Canon in a 1D series body. For me, that would be a worthwhile upgrade, and I hope that Canon does it soon because I don't have a reason to buy more from Canon unless something more than an incremental upgrade comes around the next time.

The latest lens updates, especially the 135mm T/S (wanting, but waiting), suggest to me that there is something coming that will utilize these updated lenses.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378875

A number of posts are suggesting that 4K isn't wanted or needed by the majority. I find this quite amazing. 4K televisions are everywhere now and they are a fraction of the price of even an 80D. I have a 60" 4K TV and watch 4K Netflix programmes on it the picture quality is absolutely stunning - just no comparison to "old fashioned TV".

I would dearly love to produce video with the same sort of resolution as Netflix 4K !

I would shoot a lot of 4K video with my 5D-IV if it weren't for the absolutely huge files it produces and the post-processing time and video file size eating up my hard disks.

If Canon could find a way to give me an option to shoot the same video quality I see on Netflix (which is streamed on demand ...) - especially if the images weren't cropped and with files which were compressed (MP4 ?) in such a way that they required no post-processing and lower disk space - then I for one would be absolutely delighted.

I'm a hobbyist - but I shoot 100s of pictures on most of my days of work and absolutely love my 5D-iv

There is absolutely no way I'm going to carry a second camera around for video - but if my 5D could do both then I'm certain I would shoot video in 4K frequently - even if only clips.

I'm very heavily invested in Canon lenses - as I suspect most people on this forum are - and I'm frustrated that it seems like I'm going to have to wait years for 4K to be available in a Canon DSLR which is as user-friendly as say the GH5.

As I've already said earlier I can't help suspecting that Canon's A team of engineers have walked ... perhaps somewhere else in Canon to where profits are higher ... in which case it could be a long haul ...

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
mistaspeedy said:
For me it's all the same... I have super ancient and cheap Canon equipment. I like Canon.

I just don't like it when manufacturers do things like this... Intel has been doing the same thing in the CPU arena for years due to lack of proper competition. Now with some proper competition from AMD, they are finally releasing some decent stuff.

The Nikon D850 is the best news for all Canon shooters.... as well as other cameras from the competition marching forward in leaps and bounds. (Sony a6500, Sony a9 etc).
Sony seem to do everything well, and Nikon seem to be heading in that direction.

Canon can only let others get so far ahead before answering them... and they will in time.

Canon answered the 4K question in full frame cameras.
Canon answered the on-sensor ADC and dynamic range advantages in their new sensors.
Canon answered the need for a very high resolution body (5DsR)

... and they will answer the other requests when they feel the heat...

Heat is currently being applied from all sides ;)

It's just a matter of time.

Btw... I'm considering jumping to something like the a6000.
Talking about "heat" it is almost certain that you will feel it too if you jump to something like a6000 ;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
tron, if 80D sensor is something to go by, then we can expect 5DsR II sensor to be 60+ Mb in size. 7 fps seems a bit too much for such a resolution. 5fps or 6 fps I would imagine.

tron said:
5DsR MkII could keep the same Mpixel count, get the 5DIV sensor technology (or better) and increase the fps from 5 to 7 (with an increase in buffer space and possibly a UHS-II SD card). If they do that I believe they will have a worthy opponent of D850...

Upvote 0