A9 overheating?

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
xps said:
And it took a looooooooong while until it got fixed. Really a looooooong time :mad:
Why doesn't that surprise me after all the HiFi and Walkman service issues I had with them in the 80ies and 90ies?
Pitty they managed to draw down a surely much better Minolta service to their own company level.
::) ::) ::)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The problem is typically due to the in-body stabilization. Its very difficult to get good heat transfer. With all the issues in the past with Sony cameras and sensor overheating, I'd think that is a major item on their checklist of issues to solve before a new body is released. Canon has mentioned it as a big design issue for their cameras as well. They are more conservative, preferring to hold back on new tech until it is very reliable, and even then, issues pop up.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I've looked for others with the issue and found none. Until multiple documented cases occur, it can be a one off issue.

This. Is true. One solitary example means practically nothing. I think the online community is very ready to believe it, however, based on the history of the A7's. Also, that the problem has shown up so very soon makes one wonder if it's not just the first of many to come.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
IglooEater said:
I've looked for others with the issue and found none. Until multiple documented cases occur, it can be a one off issue.

This. Is true. One solitary example means practically nothing. I think the online community is very ready to believe it, however, based on the history of the A7's. Also, that the problem has shown up so very soon makes one wonder if it's not just the first of many to come.
Hi guys!

If you read the article more carefully you wouldn't speak of "one solitary example".

[quote author=The article]
The few who had this issue all did report about the “indicator warning” turning on while in ZERO cases the camera did actually shut down because of overheating.[/quote] (strikethrough is wrong, see below)

There is not one but at least a few people reporting an “indicator warning” equal to the guy who initially reported that in the article. And SAR is also linking to a discussion in the dpreview forum.
So what do we have so far:
  • not a single a9 got damaged by overheating yet, but at least one did shut down (see "charlie278" in the forum)
  • several (a few) people reported an early and unexpected “indicator warning” while working in normal operation conditions

SAR comes to the conclusion that this indicator threshold might be too sensible and should be lifted to a higher and therefore less sensible level.

I come to the conclusion that Sony had a reason to put that threshold as low as it is - because of the danger of possible damage.
Maybe Sony was really too cautious here, but then again I ask why?

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2013
The Thread I'm following on another forum has a couple of people with an a9 they have both found the over heating issue but not had a shutdown because of it. They are having a banding issue with the electronic shutter.In other words they spent $4500 to take photos of lightbulbs- you have to laugh (But the sensor is so much better than any Canon....). I have seen NO pictures so far out of this camera that are better than any other system.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015

Here you go https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59619176

I personally never had a problem with a Sony camera being overheated, but their flasgship flash units are plagued with overheating, which was extremely annoying.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Jopa said:

Here you go https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59619176

I personally never had a problem with a Sony camera being overheated, but their flasgship flash units are plagued with overheating, which was extremely annoying.

I see that others are reporting it now, but at the time I checked and posted, it was the only confirmed report by a reliable source.

Still, 15 or 20 minutes is better than the 3 minutes their earlier cameras managed.

I continue to be amazed when the same issue strikes a manufacturer time after time. I can understand some new flaw that had never happened before, but overheating seems to be a Sony Trademark. This is even worse than the Canon lens cap photos ;D

Continuing to have issues like this justify the critics, and those who aid out big dollars based on a specification sheet are rightfully angry.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Drum said:
.In other words they spent $4500 to take photos of lightbulbs

Happy days - reminds me of my time with the Nikon D200!

Mind you - a camera with a built-in hand warmer would be useful in the Winter, as gloves do make it difficult to operate all the little buttons...

Sony pushing the creativity envelope yet again!

Upvote 0