Votes: 54 27.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
NancyP said:
Yes, I plan to get this camera. I hesitate to pre-order. I am most likely to give the business to my local camera shop, since I end up being honest and reporting big-ticket no-sales-tax items on my state income tax. (I don't bother with the small fry). I am expecting that the 7D2 will be a significant enough upgrade from the 60D to be worthwhile for a birding camera - increased frame rate, clearly better AF than the 7Dclassic (light-years better than the 60D and 6D for birding purposes), mildly improved sensor.
+1
but I will probably pre-order through my local camera shop......

Upvote 0
Actually if it has 10fps, usable ISO to 6400, 45AF points, dual CF and SD cards, and dual pixel AF, it will be better than the 1D Mark IV. Now, it depends on price compared to the 1D Mark IV. If the new body is close to those specs, I'm going to replace my 5D Mark II, 1D Mark III, and 70D with the new body, a 1D Mark IV, and a 6D. Or sell every one of them and add $2000 to buy a 1Dx.

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2013
I voted probably, but this is more specifically what I am thinking:

If: Price premium over 70D is deemed "worth it" by me after seeing the specs and output of the camera vs. the 70D - then YES. Otherwise I will buy a 70D. Would like to see significantly higher fps, better AF, headphone jack and interchangeable focus screen. Image quality and new features that could improve image quality (such as the Auto AFMA) will be a factor, too. For me the crop offers an additional level of flexibility with my lenses when reach limited or using primes and the it will complement the 6D nicely for sports while awaiting the 5D4 (which will hopefully rectify my issues with 5D3).

When: Likely not at launch, will wait until I can get it for a bit less than full retail price. Also, not pre-ordering means that if there are any hardware or firmware issues they will likely be identified before I buy.

Upvote 0
I have been watching gleefully awaiting this camera and I'm very excited by it. My 3 biggest "wish" list items for it are:

*Superb AF - Based on the current rumour of a first-ever 65 point all-cross type AF system, then I expect that hope to be met and exceeded. I was already excited just when I though it was going to be the 1DX style 61 AF point system with 41 cross-type. I would have even accepted fewer (say 41) AF points based on it being crop-frame. But to think it will have a brand new AF system that is potentially already superior to the 61 point system of the 1DX/5D3 is rather mind-blowing. The gilding on the lily will be if the expectation that DPAF will work in conjunction with the AF system to increase speed and hold accuracy.

*Fast FPF - Based on the rumour of it being 10fps, I am well pleased. The previously rumoured 12fps was even better--and I don't agree with those who say that was unrealistic--but 10 fps is a match for the 1D IV and that is impressive!

*Deep buffer -- Not much has been said about buffer, but with dual Digic 6 I think the buffer will be deep. Hopefully somewhere around 30 RAW or more.

In effect, I think this camera will more than meet my needs. It will be even sweeter if there is new sensor technology incorporated that gives a substantial IQ improvement over the 70D, but that is less critical to me than the other features I've listed. It should at least match the 70D for IQ--and hopefully betters it to a degree.

The absence of a touch screen (if true) does not trouble me overly. I'm surprised, but not overly concerned. I don't concur that "DPAF is useless" without it. Sure, it will allow rack focus for video and easy AF selection for live view, but the joystick can still be used for such things. Moreover, you still have the DPAF working for you to automatically use face detection for video and live view. In my case, video and live view will be minor usage--90% of my shooting will be viewfinder--and I'll STILL reap the benefits of DPAF for assisting the standard AF, assuming that is implemented.

Lack of WIFI, (again, if true) is surprising. Would be useful, but not critical to my photography.

I will have to save up for it (have a good chunk already) and I want to watch for any bug fixes and firmware, which are inevitable with any new product. But I'm very excited for this camera and I think it's going to ROCK!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

ClickIt_AC

Shoot First... ask questions later!
Dec 11, 2013
Yorkshire
www.alamy.com
I have a few cameras (probably like most of us on here) including the current 7d. I use a 5D3 for my serious stuff and landscapes/portraits. A G1x for holidays (used to use a 550D!) and a 7D for sports. I don't see that great an upgrade to justify the purchase of a 7D at pre-order/immediate stage. I used to use the 550D for sports too, and it held up well on pre-focussed shots under cover, but the UK weather being what it is, (where it is usually pouring down at Motor Racing events) warmed me to the weather proofing and all round toughness appeal of the 7D. I also like that it has good 'heft' when combined with a Grip and Long L Lenses.

I will probably let my 7D grow to a long and respectable old age (whatever that is) and then, when I think it is showing signs of wear and tear or starts attracting expensive servicing costs, I will see what is around as a suitable replacement. The 7D should well have dropped in price by then, but who knows, maybe the 7D Mark III at 36.6 MP or 3D at 50 MP may be out by then ;)

Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
For now food and bills are far higher up on the list of things that need attention, so I voted No.
Long term planning involves going FF, with a possibility that I keep my current 7D - a Mark II of the 7D would have to be substantially better to be considered. It would also need to be on the shelves for a couple of months so that the price gets a chance to settle at a more decent level.

My wants are vastly different than my needs, but I'll keep following what happens.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
tiger82 said:
Wow, FF snobs abound......everyone knows the 1D Marks I-IV are crop bodies, right?

I assume you are including me in the "FF snobs" comment? If so why, what do you know about my needs, current gear and the 7D MkII that I don't?

Oh I own a 1D too.

I found the 7D to be no better than the 1Ds MkIII cropped in actual shooting, so there was zero point in getting one. I suspect the same will be true with a 7D MkII and a 1DX MkII, so I will get the latter, again.

Upvote 0
distant.star said:
I'm pretty certain I'll never buy another DSLR.

After a few months with the Fuji X100S I'm convinced the steamroller of miniaturization will crush the DSLR. Like it or not, a mirrorless camera is in your future.

My prediction is Summer Olympics 2020 -- mirrorless cameras will dominate and the stonemason will be working on a DSLR tombstone.

Meanwhile, I'll continue blissfully happy with my 5D3 and ride it to the final curtain.

Only if they bring out mirrorless with the same ergonomics. I don't see how any current bodies would work handheld with a super telephoto lens.

Upvote 0
Too many provisos to answer the survey, but my answer is - yes, possibly.

I never thought I'd go back to a crop camera for primary work (I have three, but only use them for specific tasks). However, *if* the price is reasonable (say £1500-1999 after a few months), and *if* image quality at ISO 800-3200 isn't too bad, and *if* the AF is pretty good (I don't expect 5D3 quality, but not too far off, on the centre point - f/8 AF ideally), *then* I would probably save up.

*Unless* the 5D3/1Dx's successors are game changing (say, high 20s+ MP, a stop better high ISO, if that's even possible). In which case I'd probably wait. I have no problems with my current main body, but I still yearn for extra reach. In any case, I'll wait until next summer at least, I reckon.

Upvote 0

Krob78

When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
Dylan777 said:
rumor specs look good for af and fps. Decent iq at 2500iso or slightly higher will help in decision making. I'm 80% saving money for 1dx ii though.
Like all, I've waited a long time for the venerable 7D MkII. After having my 5d mkIII now for about a year and a half, I sold my beloved 7d some 9 months ago and I'm very happy. I don't miss much without the crop factor, with FF I can crop anyway and still have great resolution, has many have also found to be true.

Although I'm still highly interested in the 7d2 and I think it will be a phenomenal camera, like Dylan, I think 1Dx is the way to go and will very likely be my next purchase, depending on what happens with regard to 5D4..

I may pick up a 7d2 when rebates, etc. kick in, just to have in the bag for some long bird shots, especially if it's under $2k, which I think it will be but I'm really more interested in the 1Dx line now... 1dx and 5d3 is a nice combo... anyway, that's where I'm at now... :D

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
I assume you are including me in the "FF snobs" comment? If so why, what do you know about my needs, current gear and the 7D MkII that I don't?

Oh I own a 1D too.

No, but you did. But you made me read your post. You say you have no interest in a "performance" crop body but you still own a 1D? Incidentally, the 7D and the 1Ds Mk III were aimed at different segments. While the 7D is better for some, the 1Ds III is better for others. I've seen 7Ds on the sports sidelines and no 1Ds IIIs. It's the reverse in the studio. I have FF, APS-H, and APS-C bodies that I use in different situations. The 1Dx would replace all 3 but at twice the cost. I don't know your needs but you don't know everyone else's either.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
tiger82 said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I had two 7D's, 5 40D's, along with other APS-C cameras. Even the entry level FF bodies have better IQ and are cheaper, In fact, I picked up a old 5D classic for $350 last weekend, and its better as well.

Better than what?

Better IQ than any APS-C including Nikon bodies I've owned.

Upvote 0