BEST NON CANON FLASH WITH BEST AF BEAM IN LOW LIGHT

FTb-n

Canonet QL17 GIII
Sep 22, 2012
St. Paul, MN
bergstrom said:
FTb-n said:
Which Yongnuo have you tried?

I've had good luck with the YN565EXII and would consider the new YN685. But, I most often use mine off camera with YN622C remotes. The YN622C remotes also have IR focus assist beam that is quite effective.

Hi, the 565 and 568ii are useless in niteclub situations
I can't be of much help for niteclub situations, but I am curious. How is the 565 failing in these situations
?

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
When my 1D MkIV has trouble doing AF in low light and even the 600EX-RT AF assist doesn't cut it, I just pull the Yongnuo YN622C out of the bag and get back to work. The AF assist from this may be a slightly bright and obtrusive, but sometimes you have no choice. Fortunately the 5DIII & 7DII seem to be able to see in the dark and find AF just about anywhere, so the efficiency of the flash AF beam is of little consequence.

OP, what body are you using?

-pw

Upvote 0
Get a 5D3 instead of the 6d.
The focussing of the 5d3 is so superior to the 5d2 and 6d that it isn't funny.

I do a lot of event work at night, and with my 5d3 and 580ex flash, I might miss focus in 1 or 2 photos out of a thousand shots, and that's usually because its so dark that I can't see the focus point.

A 6d is not a good low light events camera.

Upvote 0
Bennymiata said:
Get a 5D3 instead of the 6d.
The focussing of the 5d3 is so superior to the 5d2 and 6d that it isn't funny.

I do a lot of event work at night, and with my 5d3 and 580ex flash, I might miss focus in 1 or 2 photos out of a thousand shots, and that's usually because its so dark that I can't see the focus point.

A 6d is not a good low light events camera.

I disagree. Using the centerpoint, a 6D is useful for low light photography. Just don't use too big apertures so you can focus then re-frame.

Upvote 0
Low light photography is one thing, but fast-paced, low light EVENT photography is another thing all together.
When you've got a paying customer and they are expecting to get hundreds of great photos from the evening, nothing but a 1dx or a 5d3 has reliable enough focussing in very dark conditions (amongst new cameras at least).
I've used a 60d for similar events, and its reliability of focus was nowhere near as good as the 1dx or 5d3 and it was often slow to react as I had to wait for it to try and make focus.

If you are expecting to do difficult professional work with your new camera, get a professional camera. If you go cheap, you can expect to not get paid if your photos aren't up to snuff.
Over the years, I've wasted a lot of money trying to spend less than I have to, only to spend more on the right stuff later on when I learned my lesson.

5D3's are cheap now, and it will still be a great camera in another 4 of 5 years. The 6D (while a good camera) is basically a 60d with a bigger sensor and is designed for amateur use. It's a lot cheaper than a 5d3 for a reason and that reason is in the qualities that you would only notice when you are really pushing your camera hard, like low light events and when you need the camera to act instantly and perfectly every time.

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
I have a Nissin Di866mkII flash (note - not related to "Nikon" cameras or "Nissan" automobiles).
See details of the flash I have here http://www.nissindigital.com/di866mkii.html

When I bought the Di866mkII it was much cheaper than the Canon 580II flash (almost half price here in Australia). The Di866mkII also has some features the 580II didn’t (e.g. sub-flash) – and a slightly higher guide number.

In terms of focusing assist, the 866ii greatly improves the ability of both my 7D and my 350D in low light to achieve focus. It will AF relatively quickly, and accurately, even on a blank wall in ‘pitch black’. My 7D’s AF is superior to my 350D’s AF – the Nissin Di866mkII boosts the AF ability of both.

I am aware that Nissin now have some ‘new’ flash units (e.g. 700a). The 700a assist lamp is rated to assist AF between 0.7 and 6 metres, whereas the 866ii AF assist lamp goes from 0.7 – 10 metres.

While I have used a friend’s Canon 580 flash, I have not undertaken controlled tests to determine any difference between that and my 866ii’s AF assist lamp.

I am happy with my 866ii…. Best wishes for your decision.

Paul

Upvote 0