Big Announcements Coming Next Week [CR3]

Nov 4, 2011
Tugela said:
Perhaps they are going to release the new revolutionary full frame one pixel camera for the highest ISO performance in the land.

hehe ... and 99 stops of DR ;D

Unfortunately, Canon seems to be mostly out of tune with what I would like to buy from them. ::)

Of all these rumored new products only the EOS-M3 is of any - potential - interest to me. IF it is fully competitive with Sony A6000 [or upcoming Sony A7000!] on all counts and not more expensive. So, better sensor, top-notch EVF, WiFi and RT-flash commander built-in and really decent AF-performance ... don't care what Canon will use ... DPAF, CD-AF, Hybrid on-senor PD+CD-AF or anything else ... it just needs to hit fast, precisely and be tracking-capable, including young kids. :)
I'd definitely buy such an EOS "M3 Pro"... since I already own all those small, sharp, cheap, carry anywhere EF-M lenses. :)

DSLRs .. not really interested. Not interested in yet another Rebel [750D] nor in 6-year old APS-C sensor tech running @10+ fps [7D II] nor in new 50 MP sensor [rumored new FF bodies] nor in a 11-24 f/4 lens @ € 3,000 or more. If at all, I'd be interested in a 5D IV that is a true D810 competitor ... a universal beast with 28-36 MP sensor with lots of DR, low noise at all ISOs, including clean ISO 6400, no banding, 6 fps ... at current 5D III prices. ;)

But I'd be really interested in a Canon FF MILC system, fully competitive with the [upcoming] Sony "A7R II / A9". 28-36 MP FF sensor, really good AF system, and Canon user interface and non-compressed or "cooked" RAWs ... plus a range of compact, good, non-expensive native Canon mirrorless lenses [similar to the EF-M lenses, but for FF] plus adapter for existing EF glass.

Well, so far Canon does not seem to have gotten my message yet. :p

Upvote 0
Interesting ... :)

Not necessarily things that will make me break the bank, although I'll take a long hard look at the M3 if it turns out to bring new features to the M line. But I'm definitely interested to hear about all of those, especially the big MP cameras.

What surprises me the most is the idea that all these announcements would come together ... Is it common for Canon to release several major products like these all together? Because these all do feel like major announcements, first high MP cameras, first rectilinear lens to 11mm, the Rebel which is always their biggest seller, the M3 ... arguably lower profile, but still an important step for the future of the line. It feels like each of those would make a big enough splash if they were announced on their own, I'd be somewhat surprised to see them all announced together (or close to each other) at the risk of stealing each other's thunder ...

Upvote 0
Lee Jay said:
fotoray said:
That's a lot of new and diverse stuff. Something for everybody! :D

Guessing not for me.

I'm interested in a dual-pixel (and updated) version of the 5DIII or 6D, and this doesn't sound like it (maybe, though - 5DIV?). I'm not remotely interested in a $3,000 11-24 or an any-price M3 or 750D.

+1
I can't justify spending as much as 3K for a new body, but 6DII could be right for me.
The good news is that:
- 5DIII was announced on 2 March 2012
- 6D was announced on 12 September 2012
So maybe we can expect to see a new set of Canon's Full Frame in six months, including 6D.

PS 1DX was announced on 18 October 2011, but that's another story.

Upvote 0

wunderpink

Gear is not really important, but it's fun though.
Jan 27, 2015
500px.com
Since canon eventually introduced a proper auto ISO function for M and Av in the 7D II we can expect the new FF bodies will also get it. Nikon already had it in the D800.

With the 5D III and 6D Canon at least introduced "minimum shutter speed in Av + auto ISO". This is a simple but very powerful feature not existing in older FF bodies. Before this function was availible, the shutter speed choosen by the camera was 1/focal length. This deprecated rule is just not valid for high megapixel cameras like the 5D II.

However I do not understand why they didn't allow the user to alternatively set the factor between focal length and shutter speed. This is so useful for zoom lenses and non-moving subjects. They also did not implement exposure compensation in M with auto ISO. This would just make so much sense. I always envied the Nikon shooters for having both features implemented nicely in the D800 ;). Now the 7D II has it! So I hope the "5D whatever" will also have it.

I my opinion the "auto ISO + min shutter speed in Av" feature is so powerful that it would really make sense to enable the user to set the min shutter speed via a dial on the camera (similar to setting the iso value). This would be easy to implement but would give big improvement for many photographers.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
tron said:
I am not interested in a 50+ Mp camera. But any news = good news because it means something is going on.

So I guess no more than a year for 5DMkIV (similar Mp, higher DR, less Low and High ISO noise, just hoping... )

Now the new lens is interesting...

Plus one on that, although my 5DIII still rocks. Hope Canon remain with more or less the same MP count plus innovative sensor tech noise wise. I will keep to the 5DIII for quite some time anyway, but it will be good to know about any improvements high ISO IQ wise.

Upvote 0
I will be so happy Canon will release some high MP bodies so people can stop talking about the resolution of the D800 so much... :eek: ;D

Not sure how interested I will be, it highly depends on the low light ability (high ISO). I would take sub-30 over 50+ MP any day, IF that meant cleaner high ISO. So we will see how Canon does with it!

I am guessing if they do release two bodies, one will be a replacement for the current 5D3 with lower MP, higher FPS, etc... With another 5D model for studio/landscape... 50+ MP, Low FPS, no AA filter due to the 50+ MP, etc..

Just my guess!

And about the 11-24, I really would love it but the price will be hard to swallow at anything around $3K. It needs to be priced no higher than $2500ish, dropping to $2K or less after a few months... Especially for f/4. Yeah I know it can do 11mm, but still.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
dilbert said:
People are going to argue black and blue that I'm wrong for doing this, but I'm not going to buy a new DSLR from Canon (or Sony!) - regardless of how good the sample images are - until it's been tested and evaluated by DxO.

Why?

Because scores aside, their methodology is fixed and the same for every model.

Thus I can look at their sensor measurements for noise and DR and get an independent view on where Canon are at with their new cameras relative to other cameras.

And to not put a finer point on it, I don't trust Canon to deliver significant IQ improvement just because it is a new FF sensor on a new camera.

I've recently found many of their measurements to be self inconsistent (different QE at different ISOs) and thus clearly wrong. Some of them are different by a factor of two! Unless you're going to analyze their data very carefully, I'd just ignore them.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
JohanCruyff said:
I can't justify spending as much as 3K for a new body, but 6DII could be right for me.
The good news is that:
- 5DIII was announced on 2 March 2012
- 6D was announced on 12 September 2012
So maybe we can expect to see a new set of Canon's Full Frame in six months, including 6D.

PS 1DX was announced on 18 October 2011, but that's another story.
The speculation is that they are shutting down the 500nm fabrication line. For that to happen, they will have to replace the entire FF lineup and most of the rebels... It could very well mean that this is the tip of the iceberg....

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
dilbert said:
Lee Jay said:
dilbert said:
People are going to argue black and blue that I'm wrong for doing this, but I'm not going to buy a new DSLR from Canon (or Sony!) - regardless of how good the sample images are - until it's been tested and evaluated by DxO.

Why?

Because scores aside, their methodology is fixed and the same for every model.

Thus I can look at their sensor measurements for noise and DR and get an independent view on where Canon are at with their new cameras relative to other cameras.

And to not put a finer point on it, I don't trust Canon to deliver significant IQ improvement just because it is a new FF sensor on a new camera.

I've recently found many of their measurements to be self inconsistent (different QE at different ISOs) and thus clearly wrong. Some of them are different by a factor of two! Unless you're going to analyze their data very carefully, I'd just ignore them.

And have you run your own tests to show that the QE is the same at all ISOs for those very same cameras?

No need. It can't change. To change it would require changing the physical structure of the sensor.

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
Don Haines said:
AvTvM said:
Tugela said:
Perhaps they are going to release the new revolutionary full frame one pixel camera for the highest ISO performance in the land.

hehe ... and 99 stops of DR ;D

actually, it would only be 38 stops of DR :(
It must have a really good anti-aliasing filter.

To be honest, on the dynamic range issue, I think 38 stops is far more workable than 99. If you take a picture with 99 stops of dynamic range it would be hard to see anything but grey,especially when you only have one pixel. ;)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Lee Jay said:
dilbert said:
And have you run your own tests to show that the QE is the same at all ISOs for those very same cameras?
No need. It can't change. To change it would require changing the physical structure of the sensor.

Trying to explain technical facts to dilbert?

bash-head.gif

Upvote 0

PLIV1974

wildlife protector
Aug 26, 2014
France
Just saw an announcement that Sony may launch an A7 also with around 50mp, sometime ago there was rumors that CANON could use Sony sensors, so i am wondering if CANON is not going to Sony sensors.

This would be a change, because they developped the dual pixels technology, but would they be able to have such technology in a 50MP sensor that they don't produce? Is it feasible?

The Sony sensors are performing well in Nikon and Sony DSLR, so personally i don't care if it happens to be true...

I would love to know how frames/sec, this new 5D will be able to shoot, this is my main interrest for bird watching, otherwise i will stick to my 7DMk2.

Upvote 0
tyger11 said:
Triggyman said:
I'm very much interested for the next Rebel, and the M3.

I need a smaller APS-C camera (Canon System) that's not too pricey but can produce better quality pictures than my SX50.

If that's all you're looking for, the current M and M2 already fit the bill, and will be way less expensive than any new M3 would be.

Yep I had the M for a month and it fit my needs (did not like its color though, it was white). I gave it to my cousin because she liked it very much. It was the $299 kit with the flash and 16-55.

Upvote 0