Status
Not open for further replies.

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Re: Canon 7D Mark II specs wishlist.

I think people are being too pessimistic about the pricing of a future 7D.

In reading most of these wish lists (and taking into account that they are wish lists), it seems to me that most of the suggestions are reasonable or at least not impractical.

People seem to be consistently asking for:

• No change, or only minimal change in megapixels;
  • Some improvement in autofocus;
  • Some improvement in dynamic range, noise, ISO;
  • The same or slightly improved build quality.

Yes, many folks are stealing specs from the 1D IV and the 5D III, but I think that's just because it's what we have to go on. And, we all have our pet features we'd like to see incorporated, but none of those are deal-breakers.

I can't see that any of the above would drive the cost of the next model up significantly. If someone has some explanation, other than disappointment over the price of the 5D III, I'd like to hear it.

Yes, a bombproof 7D X fully-gripped body with special features designed for working pros (LAN connectivity, super high frame rate, etc. for example), would drive the cost of that model up,

But, for the ordinary 7D II, if I had to summarize, it seems to me that the overriding message is: "Canon, we like the 7D, so just don't screw it up!"

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia

I am a photographer who owns and uses the current 7D extensively, and I really like the camera. It is a very good step up from other APS-C cameras.

My 7DmkII wishlist is:
  • 5 Custom settings on mode dial (get rid of "Creative Auto" and "Full Auto")
  • Apart from that keep the body the same
  • At least 2 stops cleaner 18MP APS-C sensor
  • Improved DR at all ISOs, especially at 100 and 200 (for landscapes)
  • Exposure bracketing allowing up to 9 photos (+/- 5EV)
  • Dual Digic 5+ (one dedicated to AF)
  • Built in interval meter
  • Price AUD $1800 - $2000

Possibly / optional (points below not critical to me)
  • Possibly up to 30 AF points (all cross-type, need to be well spaced out
  • ISO up to 25,600 (or 51,200 - even if noisy)
  • Fast & full time AF for video & Live View - linked to AF button (can use FT MF on USM lenses)
  • Dedicated mirror lock-up button, or assignable to an existing button eg MFn
  • Sturdy flip out screen (useful for macros)
  • Option of 12fps @ 8MP or 10 fps @ 10 MP
  • Dual cards (SD backup for ultra critical events / photo outings)
  • With these 'optional' points included above, price AUD $2000 - $2200

Am I being unreasonable?

Paul

Upvote 0
F

flanniganj

Although I'm still strongly considering the 5D3, a reasonably priced 7DII would be intriguing as well:

• Dig!c 5+: Make it snappier, but keep the cost from exploding by omitting the additional Digic 5 (since the current one has dual Digic 4). I would settle for Digic 5+ and a Digic 4 if they still wanted two processors, but I would hope they go with a single to make Magic Lantern Unified available.
  • 10fps: with the 5+, this seems to be pretty logical. Maybe 9fps. Not sure how much they would need to beef up the shutter. The 7D already shoots 8fps. I don't really need this, but the way I see it, they should use whatever the processor will give them, and then beef up the housing to handle it. Don't slow it down to what the housing can handle.
  • 18MP (APS-C): I can't say I've seen a reason to increase it, especially if by not doing so makes the 10fps more feasible/cost-effective. The Digic 5+ made the 5D3 snappier and that's pushing more MPs at full frame and this one would still be a crop
  • 45-point AF at least 20 cross-type: If they're improving the AF, this seems more logical than dropping in the 61/41 that's in the 5D3 and 1DX, in terms of pricing that is.
  • The Metering and AF system should be connected, like it is in the 5D3 and 1Dx
  • One stop improvement in ISO and maybe DR: Might be a bit much to ask if I want the price to stay close to what it is, but this is a wishlist after all.
  • Drop the pop-up flash: I've never used it on my camera. Not once.
  • Radio trigger: in both directions. Camera to strobes, remote to camera.
  • Dual card slots: I don't care if they're CF or SD, just make them the same. Not a big deal, but consistency would be nice.
  • Thunderbolt: Pie in the sky I'm sure, but that kind of speed would be lovely. Especially considering that Intel is including Thunderbolt in new PCs now too, skipping right past USB 3.0.
  • I don't see them adding any more functionality to the video more than say what's gleaned from improved ISO and processing. If they had something like 1080p/60fps, it would be in the 5D3 or 1DX. But, perhaps something more possible: 1080p/48fps.
  • Little things: Mode dial lock, capacitive wheel (I thought that was awesome on the 5D3), 7-step bracketing, 3:2 viewing screen (although I think that will be a given), same battery.

Too much to ask?

Upvote 0

RC

Jun 11, 2011

pj1974 said:
I am a photographer who owns and uses the current 7D extensively, and I really like the camera. It is a very good step up from other APS-C cameras.

My 7DmkII wishlist is:

• Fast & full time AF for video & Live View - linked to AF button (can use FT MF on USM lenses)

Am I being unreasonable?

Paul

Really like your list, especially two additional Custom Functions in place of the CA and A modes (I think P is more than enough for "auto" modes) I've always felt there should be 5 custom modes on all bodies!

Also like the additional bracketing. I usually bracket in 2/3 stops but I'd love to do 9 - 1/3 stops. (Ya, I know I can do 3 sets of 3 by dialing the pointers more and less exposure, and sometimes I do.)

I use to wish my 7D had interval function like my P&S S80 but after I bought a TC-80N3 I'm more than happy to have this function as an accessory (and I'm sure Canon liked the extra bucks). A built in intervalometer would probably add $150 to the body.

For mirror lockup, I have an option for that under "My Menu"

Upvote 0
M

Michael7

If you folks want to see a one stop improvement in noise, you're going to need to bring the 18mp down to 14, 15, or even 12. There's just way too many pixels for a crop sensor right now. It is a great camera, but they went too far there.

I'm not interested in jpeg software wizardry, but rather a REAL one stop noise improvement that is noticeable from ISO 100 to 1600in an unprocessed RAW file.

Upvote 0
J

JonJT

Michael7 said:
If you folks want to see a one stop improvement in noise, you're going to need to bring the 18mp down to 14, 15, or even 12. There's just way too many pixels for a crop sensor right now. It is a great camera, but they went too far there.

I'm not interested in jpeg software wizardry, but rather a REAL one stop noise improvement that is noticeable from ISO 100 to 1600in an unprocessed RAW file.

1 stop increase would increase the margin over the D7000 by only ~1/4 of a stop, according to DxOmark's measurements. I'm not sure that is enough for the camera to remain relevant over it's ~3 year life cycle. I'm thinking, at least 1.5 stop increase to firmly establish Canon this cycle and frankly, I'm not sure I'd even consider buying one unless such an increase was realized, in addition to other sensor improvements. The sensor is the most salient "issue" with the 7D and, canon really needs to turn out a quality product to keep people on the bandwagon.

If Canon doesn't realize such improvements, used 7D here I come!

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia

RC said:
pj1974 said:

My 7DmkII wishlist is:

Am I being unreasonable?

Paul

Really like your list, especially two additional Custom Functions in place of the CA and A modes (I think P is more than enough for "auto" modes) I've always felt there should be 5 custom modes on all bodies!

Also like the additional bracketing. I usually bracket in 2/3 stops but I'd love to do 9 - 1/3 stops. (Ya, I know I can do 3 sets of 3 by dialing the pointers more and less exposure, and sometimes I do.)

I use to wish my 7D had interval function like my P&S S80 but after I bought a TC-80N3 I'm more than happy to have this function as an accessory (and I'm sure Canon liked the extra bucks). A built in intervalometer would probably add $150 to the body.

For mirror lockup, I have an option for that under "My Menu"

Thanks RC for your reply to my post. (+1) ;)

Glad to know that you also see the convenience of those Custom settings on the mode dial. Why someone needs CA and Auto is beyond me. If I 'lend' my camera to someone, it's usually for 1 type of photography (eg 'photos of their children at soccer'- and I preset the certain custom setting and tell them to always have it on eg C3 - and give a few quick pointers about that style of photography.

I totally agree, so much handier to do many multiple exposures if eg can do 9 in a row, rather than '3 x 3'. Particularly if you don't have a tripod with you (eg using a rock, tree, etc). Thankfully the 8fps helps to capture the frames quickly (good for HDR).

In my case, I bought a Hahnel Giga T Pro II for Canon (bit less than $100) - which provides a good set of interval and remote functionality (particularly handy that I can sit inside and take photos many metres away with my camera outdoors). I use it (usually on a tripod obviously) for time-lapse photography, occasionally landscapes, macros and self-portraits or other detailed work) But yes, it would be good if even a basic interval meter could be built in... (without raising price, surely it's just a software / firmware possibility!)

Thanks for reminding me, yes I also have the Mirror-lock up function listed on 'My Menu' too. Sometimes I forget that I added it there several months ago (and go to "Custom settings"). I've set up so the Custom menu pops up whenever I press 'Menu' - and this is another very user friendly touch with the 7D, that adds to it being a powerful tool.

As to a few other postes mentioning it might be unrealistic to expect 'lower noise' (eg 1.5 to 2 stops better than the 7D) from an 18MP APS-C... I think it can be done... yes also by Canon... but surely the sensor will have to improved substantially. Technology does still afford us this scope, even with the dense pixel ratio. 18MP is just such a good size for me (for cropping, enlarging, etc). One can hope... and provide it on a 'Wishlist' at least! :D

Cheers all. I enjoy posting on these forums.

Paul

Upvote 0

I dunno about a wishlist but this is what I think it will be

same body basically with slight build improvement
dual card slot CF/SD
use same battery
mode dial lock
27MP sensor maybe 28(they will want to 1 up sony i am sure of it :p ) i know this is pushing the realms of resolution think of the prototype 50MP APS-H factored down to 1.6 APS-C

high ISO might be lucky to be a stop better but we will see definately wont touch the 5D3

I think they will sort out the issues with the current 18MP noise and softness
i think 2 Digic 5+ and 9FPS too
and agree 61pt AF will be on it
it definately wont have f8 AF

Price will be $2700 to $2500
and there will be rivers of tears over that last item

Thats my official prediction :D

Upvote 0

wickidwombat said:
I dunno about a wishlist but this is what I think it will be

same body basically with slight build improvement
dual card slot CF/SD
use same battery
mode dial lock
27MP sensor maybe 28(they will want to 1 up sony i am sure of it :p ) i know this is pushing the realms of resolution think of the prototype 50MP APS-H factored down to 1.6 APS-C

high ISO might be lucky to be a stop better but we will see definately wont touch the 5D3

I think they will sort out the issues with the current 18MP noise and softness
i think 2 Digic 5+ and 9FPS too
and agree 61pt AF will be on it
it definately wont have f8 AF

Price will be $2700 to $2500
and there will be rivers of tears over that last item

Thats my official prediction :D

If that price is right then I will just skip it and get a 5D MK III, which I am sure will be down around $3000 with a sale or rebate, sometime later this year.

Upvote 0
R

ruuneos

pj1974 said:

My 7DmkII wishlist is:

Am I being unreasonable?

Paul
Totally agreeing with you! +1

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

27MP sensor maybe 28(they will want to 1 up sony i am sure of it :p ) i

I don't think (hope) so.

Canon seems to be going all-in on the "less is more" mantra for sensors. I really believe they have listened to their customer complaints about too many pixels. I also believe that Canon, better than any other manufacturer, knows the limits of pixel density.

People assume that the high megapixel APS-H sensor Canon experimented with was headed for market. But it's also entirely possible that they learned some things about the limits of what could be done and what the downsides might be. Most research is more likely to result in learning what you don't want to do rather than what you do want to do.

They have been on the cutting edge of resolution density for the past several years. Perhaps they learned some things in their research and development and/or marketing research that made them decide to go in a different direction.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2012

5dmk.iii said:
Michael_pfh said:
Since this is a wishlist - built in battery grip would be great!

Built in? you mean a 1D form factor? What about the people who want a lighter body?

make it in two bodies type, one with integrated grip and one without. that feature will be a premier in DSLR market.

....and the price can be under $2400 ( say $2399 for the gripped one and $ 1799-1899 for the normal body). i personally believe that the gripped one will have more success.

Upvote 0

nicku said:
5dmk.iii said:
Michael_pfh said:
Since this is a wishlist - built in battery grip would be great!

Built in? you mean a 1D form factor? What about the people who want a lighter body?

make it in two bodies type, one with integrated grip and one without. that feature will be a premier in DSLR market.

....and the price can be under $2400 ( say $2399 for the gripped one and $ 1799-1899 for the normal body). i personally believe that the gripped one will have more success.

This is a great idea one i wish had been implemented with the 1Dx for those of us that hate grips and the extra bulk they create. thankfully the 5D3 looks like its gonna deliver the goods :)

Upvote 0

funkboy

6D & a bunch of crazy primes
Jul 28, 2010
elsewhere
unfocused said:
Really though, this isn't that hard to predict. Too many people get caught up in what they want companies to do, instead of looking at what they are doing. An objective examination of Canon's recent actions points pretty clearly in this direction.

Agree wholeheartedly.

Upvote 0

funkboy

6D & a bunch of crazy primes
Jul 28, 2010
elsewhere

Well, if Canon sticks with their current (& much-appreciated) theme of not giving a toss about the megapixel race and trying to make the best cameras possible, I think a 7DII would look something like this:

• new backlit APS-C sensor bringing associated low-light performance improvements
  • as few MP as they think they can get away with, I'd imagine somewhere between 16 & 18
  • single digic 5+. plenty of processing power and keeps costs down & battery life up
  • as many of the new features from the 5DIII that they can squeeze in - hopefully the reduced moiré video processing will reduce the need for a strong AA filter
  • I'd imagine a bump in existing fps in order to placate those lamenting the loss of the 1D series. 9-10fps @16-18mp is likely possible with digic5+, and a 10fps APS-C mirror/shutter should be a walk in the park for them after having built the 1DX.
  • this is just a wish, but improved viewfinder if possible (the current one is already 1.0x/100% but perhaps they could make it a little brighter/snappier...)
  • under $US 2k

Look for an announcement either at Photokina or early 2013.

If they go with the backlit sensor or otherwise improve low-light performance by a stop or more, the 7DII could likely be viewed as the logical successor to the 1DIV.

I don't think we'll see a non-Ciné APS-H EOS DSLR again. It's pretty clear that Canon's APS-H fabrication unit has moved over to the Cinema EOS side of the house (brilliant move on Canon's part; APS-H is almost exactly the same size as Super 35 so repurposing the fabs shouldn't have taken much effort).

Here's a thought: what if one of the forthcoming "for mere mortals" Ciné cameras and the rumored mirrorless system are the same thing? There's an awful lot of synergy between the features of those two markets...

Upvote 0
wickidwombat said:
I think we should start sandbagging a levy here at canon rumors for when the 7D mk2 gets released at $2500+ to help stop the river of tears over the price :p

+1000!! Ha ha. If you can't afford it, don't be mad at Canon. Perhaps take up another hobby? No way it's sub $2000. $2,100 at launch is my guess.

My hunch specs are 10fps
Better weather sealing (probably as vague as that too)
15mp with improved ISO performance
30-45 AF points
Dual CF/SD card slots
Headphones jack for video
Probably have something really gimmicky like available in off-white or 120fps 480video

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.