Canon announces development of the EOS R5 full-frame mirrorless camera

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Does DLO actually help with the JPGS the camera produces? Have never gotten a clear answer on this.

If you have:
  1. A Digic 8 or newer processor
  2. The DLO profile loaded into the camera (5 for R, 3 for RP, M6II, M50)
  3. The DLO corrections enabled
If you do all that, the JPGs will have DLO, but video and viewfinder will only have vignetting corrected. It's mentioned in the footnotes of the manual. I specifically looked it up before buying the M6II.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Don't worry, I don't like that word too! I have re-added it there, because I expected someone to jump on that. Hey, it has worked :)

Your point might be interesting, but where we differ is, that I actually think, that there are some things, which could/should be common as a "standard". For me it is IBIS, AF-ON, tilty-flippy from now on, for all R based bodies. Don't get me wrong - 5D line, both in terms of DSLR and MILC, does belong in the professional area.

We will see, who of us is right. R5 might be developed by completly different team than 1DX III. Maybe R5 team did not have enough of time to incorporate it into R5. We will see, if in 1-2 year timeframe, new AF-ON appears on even cheaper bodies. And if so, then it sucks. If they keep it to just the 1D line, well then ....

I am looking at the picture provided by canon and I see the AF-ON button and a AF point selecting joystiq. Hard to follow the sort of discussion you guys try to commit to.

1581593807633.png

Maybe you want it all in one single button joystick. By any means, this camera comes with so much innovation, that if you put the latest 5D camera releases (including 5D2/3/4) this camera beats all of them in the hype-meter.

Been with my 5DIII since release and I never saw a need to upgrade, on paper, this one really starts looking like a great enough improvement for my needs. IF files are very clean in low ISO, AF is a visible improvement, 12 fps and IBIS with flippy screen...I see plenty reasons.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
The press article is indeed very vague. Does not mention expected released date to the mass market, sensor size, max ISO, details like kind of wifi connectivity, if fully water sealed and price tag.
Very disappointed!

On the other hand, we now know the camera exists, and the images of the front and back give us a lot of clues about what kind of camera it will be.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2016
I expect these teleconverters will be, by some margin, the best Canon or anyone has ever made.

Look at the Sony FE teleconverters - putting aside the normal questions around Sony's appalling quality control etc - they are the best there is, exceptional image quality and almost half the size of the current Canon EF lenses. Teleconverters really appear to be one of those areas vastly improved by the wider, shallower mount and therefore proximity to the sensor.

It will be interesting to see how they work with the RF-EF adapters and thus EF lenses - might be a nice way to keep bringing people into the system while allowing them to keep using some of their EF glass.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I guess I got something wrong with the 8K resolution but what have I to calculate to get 8K = 45MP?

I only get 1920x1080×16= 33,17 MP

What you missed is the extra height needed to take a 16:9 aspect ratio and put it in a 3:2 stills camera.

It's 1920x1280x16=39.3 MP

Cinema 8K has an even wider aspect ratio: 8192x4320, so you need a 8192x5461 sensor to do 3:2, but 5461 is not divisible by 8, so you need to increase the total size to 8208x5472=44.9MP to get both sides of a 3:2 sensor divisible by 8.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2016
My guess for the RF lenses are

135mm
100mm
24mm
35mm
Budget 50mm
Maybe another tele zoom or prime

The main reason I think they will likely release these lens this is a pro body for sure and a lot of the above lenses would come in handy for Pros. The Macro to me is a must!

I think an RF 135L and RF 24L are near certainties. Canon obviously considers EF and RF as a cohesive whole. They are looking to add value - so the 24-70/2.8 got IS, the 70-200/2.8 got smaller, the 50/1.2 and 85/1.2 were both older designs needing updates.

The 135L, outstanding though it is - I happily use it wide open on a 5DSR and it delivers, is ready to be updated - perhaps with a shorter MFD and IS. The 24L II is also ready to be updated especially because 24mm is a focal length where the advantages of mirrorless come into play. Just look at Sony's outstanding 24GM - Canon will want to better it.

I think they might not be in a big rush for a new 35 unless they decide to go for a 1.2. The EF 35 L II is still so amazing, adapts perfectly and in general 35mm lenses don't see much size change with mirrorless. Hopefully I am wrong!

I suspect at least one of the new lenses will be some sort of "halo" L lens as Canon seems to really be going for it - maybe the hoped-for f/2 wide angle zoom? Or a 100mm 1.4 or 28/1.2 or something like that.

Personally the best surprise for me of the RF lenses so far has been the 35mm 1.8 IS. It really is tiny, focuses very closely, is sharp, has IS. I am hoping it heralds a whole series of high quality, small, modest aperture primes. Imagine a 20/2.8, 28/2. 50/1.8, 85/18 and 100/2 all brought up to modern optics, all remaining very small and light, all having top notch IS - would be great fun and form a solid base for the RF mount :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
sonyalpharumors is fun at the moment...
Thanks, it's really fun. Like a mirror of CR. Everything is the same but upside down.

'Canontrolls',
'Canon fanboys',
'Sony is doomed',
'Sony wake up!'
'- I'm switching to Canon!
- Goodbye'
'Nobody needs 8k'

etc. etc. etc.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
You have to have an image that's at least 8192 pixels wide. The aspect ratio for the sensor is 3:2 so short side would have to be at least 5462 pixels giving it a 44.7 megapixel resolution.

edit: just like @canonnews says, different aspect ratio for photos and video.

Except 5462 is not divisible by 8. The next image height that works at 3:2 where both dimensions are multiples of 8 is 8208x5472.

Upvote 0
I am looking at the picture provided by canon and I see the AF-ON button and a AF point selecting joystiq. Hard to follow the sort of discussion you guys try to commit to.

[...]

Maybe you want it all in one single button joystick. By any means, this camera comes with so much innovation, that if you put the latest 5D camera releases (including 5D2/3/4) this camera beats all of them in the hype-meter.
They are talking about the NEW AF-ON Button so far only found on the 1D Mark III that also has a Joystick AND an AF-ON-Button, but the AF-ON-Button is not only a button but also (as far as I understand) allows AF-point switching. It appears they would have wanted this new button to appear on the R5 as well. As it is, the R5 has the traditional controls already found on the 5D Mark IV. What I am missing is the AF mode selector button (to switch from point to the various AF area modes). Is it hidden somewhere or is that feature implemented differently on mirrorless?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0