D800 high ISO noise samples

wickidwombat

EOS 5D SR
Oct 27, 2011
4,543
0
12800 looks usable, only issue I have is they are jpg probably out of camera.
both Nikon and Canon are really being quite cagey about RAW iso performance
this has me a bit concerned about what the real RAW output will be like
 

JR

EOS 6D MK II
Sep 22, 2011
1,229
0
Canada
Something is really odd about those sample. All the D700 picture seem out of focus even at ISO 3200. It does look promising but not sure this is a valid sample...D700 looks too crapy to be real and too out of focus to be serious!
 

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
Mar 25, 2011
15,475
712
There are some valid questions being asked about those images by the Nikon Rumors folks. Are the D700 images upsized to make them look poorer? At best, there is little we can tell from them without more information.

ISO 3200 noise on the D800 looks closer to ISO 6400 on my 5D MK II, and I know it should be better than that. ISO 6400 seems very noisy, and only usable with a lot of NR. However, NR tends to work better on high MP images, so the end result should be good prints at 6400. We really do not know exactly what settings were used or if the camera was a prototype. If both images had been compared at 1:1, I wouold have a better idea of the performance.

I certainly believe its the right camera for studio photographers and for landscapes, some wanting to use it for general walk around use will have to learn to deal with 100+ mp tif files if they use tif in their current workflow.

i'll certainly be following it once it gets out into the hands of more users.
 
T

TAR

Guest
if those high ISO samples are true , then D800 is the clear winner. it performs same as D700 with 3X resolution.. even at ISO 25600 can be used with noise reduction and re sampling.. i dont think 5DX will compete against D800.

People are going to do the same test as D700 Vs 5DII by re sampling to match .. i dont think 5DX will stand...for 3500$ definitely not worth buying 5DX compared to D800. wht you guys think?.
 
C

Canon-F1

Guest
TAR said:
.... i dont think 5DX will compete against D800.

People are going to do the same test as D700 Vs 5DII by re sampling to match .. i dont think 5DX will stand...for 3500$ definitely not worth buying 5DX compared to D800. wht you guys think?.
and your inside view about that is based on... what?

speculation?
 
Z

-zero-

Guest
TAR said:
if those high ISO samples are true , then D800 is the clear winner. it performs same as D700 with 3X resolution.. even at ISO 25600 can be used with noise reduction and re sampling.. i dont think 5DX will compete against D800.

People are going to do the same test as D700 Vs 5DII by re sampling to match .. i dont think 5DX will stand...for 3500$ definitely not worth buying 5DX compared to D800. wht you guys think?.
The camera isn't even announced yet, no rumors or specs about high ISO noise and you already say it can't compete
 

Maui5150

EOS 7D MK II
Sep 21, 2011
564
0
The only thing I can draw from those images:

1) Either the D700 shots are dodgy and deliberately misscaled, resized or OOF to make the shots look worse...

-- or --

2) The D700 was a real POS when it came to high ISO,

and I love this one quote in the description at the top: You will have to ignore the fact that all D700 samples are blurry and just pay attention to the ISO performance.

How can you judge ISO performance from a focused image to an OOF image???
 

psolberg

EOS 7D MK II
Feb 8, 2012
619
17
interesting BUT, if I had a D800 I wouldn't use it for stupid high ISO shooting. It's a precision tool better used to extract detail and dynamic range and ramming that high ISO as if it was a sports camera is the enemy of all that is holy. what a waste!
 
K

KeithR

Guest
psolberg said:
It's a precision tool better used to extract detail and dynamic range and ramming that high ISO as if it was a sports camera is the enemy of all that is holy. what a waste!
It's absolutely nothing of the sort - the point of the D800 is to be an all-rounder (as well as being one in the eye for the "too many pixels = noise" muppets) - a camera that will do everything from low ISO high detail images, to sport/wildlife (where the AF and croppability will play well) and right up to high ISO work, which it has proven its capability in.