Flat lens discovered in Harvard

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
After reading the article, the new lens sounds very much like a variation on a diffractive optic, only intended for use at IR and beyond (they make no claims for visible light).

We know Canon already uses DO, without much success (judging from the reviews).

I wonder how long a 60nm thick lens would last in an open environment? A fast moving raindrop might not end well.

Sounds like some cool basic physics, but it will be a long time before we see it used for anything in photography. On the other hand, I would expect to see these things show up at the end of fiber optic data cables in short order. Replacing the tiny glass lens with something made of silicon would be excellent.

Upvote 0
dstppy said:
Here comes the science! Where's Neuro? (I half expected to see him in the picture of the physicists, presumably explaining it to them)

;D

Neuro must be burning some silicon right now, melting some gold and preparing it for diffusion process. After having him made some initial resolution comparison to 70-200 2.8 II we'll read the final statement :)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Actually, its time for Universities to apply for government research grants, and the big ones like Harvard and Mit have large PR departments that churn out praises of their projects.
Nothinng wrong with that, thats how you are successful in getting research dollars. Just don't confuse it with being something practical or usable. Its research only, the same as the supposedly 1 trillion frame per second video that is written to make you believe there is a camera that can do that. Black silicon has been after $$$ for many years now.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
RLPhoto said:
This tech will in military and security use before it will ever hit the consumer market. :p
Yes, DARPA gives out quite a few grants for research to both Universities and to companies. In fact, thats how we got the internet.

.... and a few other technologies beyond Internet :)

Upvote 0
B

bkorcel

Including 1 megawatt lasers that can bore holes into rock on other worlds.

marekjoz said:
RLPhoto said:
This tech will in military and security use before it will ever hit the consumer market. :p
Yes, DARPA gives out quite a few grants for research to both Universities and to companies. In fact, thats how we got the internet.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
marekjoz said:
RLPhoto said:

Yes, I've visited the DARPAheadquarters and bid on some projects as well as briefing them on our research before I retired.
I first used the internet back in the mid 1980's before it really caught on. Back then, it was unix commands only. We had dumb terminals networked to a VAX.

Upvote 0
marekjoz said:
RLPhoto said:

Yes, I've visited the DARPAheadquarters and bid on some projects as well as briefing them on our research before I retired.
I first used the internet back in the mid 1980's before it really caught on. Back then, it was unix commands only. We had dumb terminals networked to a VAX.

I'curious when They finally will find a way to diffract the light using elecromagnetic field with a reasonable about of power :) the other intersting solution would be spherical sensors. Anyone knows about sth like that?

Upvote 0
B

bkorcel

Yeah they tried that already. It was called the Philadelphia Experiment. ;D

marekjoz said:
marekjoz said:
RLPhoto said:

I'curious when They finally will find a way to diffract the light using elecromagnetic field with a reasonable about of power :) the other intersting solution would be spherical sensors. Anyone knows about sth like that?

Upvote 0
bkorcel said:
Yeah they tried that already. It was called the Philadelphia Experiment. ;D

marekjoz said:
marekjoz said:
RLPhoto said:

And we don't want them to repeat it, as we'd like to see Canon labs not to dissapear :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.