I want a new nice firmware for the 1dx2, is that too much to ask?

Dec 13, 2010
Hi!

I haven't seen any info regarding firmware for the 1dx2. Canon have "always" had some nice, new and cool things, and I don't mean correcting a spelling error in the Magyar menu, for all the bodies I have owned. Some REALLY needed fixes, which I don't think the 1dx2 needs. But I would like something new function or a "make life easier" feature.

On a side note, I'm very happy Canon made the 1dx2 so good from the start, that no fixes really are needed, but a little extra is always fun.

Anyone heard anything?

Jan 29, 2011
No, but I think the thread would have far more value if you actually listed some of the features you'd like.

From a functionality point of view I'd like:-

Intervalometer,
Accurate RAW file histogram,
Unleash the crippled touchscreen!

What I'd like in a MkIII:-

Illuminated buttons,
Twin CFast slots,
7D MkII lever outside the joystick,
RT flash control,
WiFi,

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Viggo said:
Hi!

I haven't seen any info regarding firmware for the 1dx2. Canon have "always" had some nice, new and cool things, and I don't mean correcting a spelling error in the Magyar menu, for all the bodies I have owned. Some REALLY needed fixes, which I don't think the 1dx2 needs. But I would like something new function or a "make life easier" feature.

On a side note, I'm very happy Canon made the 1dx2 so good from the start, that no fixes really are needed, but a little extra is always fun.

Anyone heard anything?

Q: What do you do when you get a bad attack of GAS and you remember that you already own the best product they make?

A: You start calling for an update to make it even better and solve a problem you did not know you had ;D

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Lol. yeah I wrote the headline as whiny as possible so people could be bother to read ;D

I would like to see :

RAW histogram (excellent point privatebydesign)
Zebra's
Auto "AF-case" to switch between what's best.
Have some or all buttons have different function customization in Rec and Play.
More sensible video codec to reduce file size.
Some magic to remove lens focusing noise on video.
Much more options with the touchscreen
iso 6
Even better AF firmware
Software AFMA

I don't know :D

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
privatebydesign said:
...Unleash the crippled touchscreen!

Yes! Ridiculous that they didn't do this initially.

privatebydesign said:
What I'd like in a MkIII:-

7D MkII lever outside the joystick...

Yes again. I can't imagine why Canon would create this great feature and then leave it off the flagship.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Here is the one pet annoyance I have. I use my right hand finger on the MFn2button to enlarge but for me enlarge is X1. My left hand is typically committed to the weight of the big white.

Fire a shot and of course a single photo appears on the LCD. Hit MFn2 and it is ready to enlarge as much as I like (I don't want X10 from AF point since the single AF point often is off a little or I'm one-shot and recomposing and furthermore, I'm not always just looking for critical focus). However, if I wish to now view the previous shots in a burst, I have to again half press the shutter and again hit MFn2. Given the 1DX2 high data handling capability it should be possible to have a burst instantly reviewable without that extra shutter press.

It also bugs me that when the camera is OFF and I'm dealing with cards in the computer that I'll find the camera has switched to #1 CF. Also bugs me that CF is default #1. Why make #1, the choice that gives you reduced capability of the camera!!?

And unlike some, I have emailed Canon specifically requesting these two things. But is there any hope they listen? ;)

Otherwise I'm like the rest of you wishing the obvious missing features would be added, especially finger start movie recording on the touchscreen.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Jack Douglas said:
Here is the one pet annoyance I have. I use my right hand finger on the MFn2button to enlarge but for me enlarge is X1. My left hand is typically committed to the weight of the big white.

Fire a shot and of course a single photo appears on the LCD. Hit MFn2 and it is ready to enlarge as much as I like (I don't want X10 from AF point since the single AF point often is off a little or I'm one-shot and recomposing and furthermore, I'm not always just looking for critical focus). However, if I wish to now view the previous shots in a burst, I have to again half press the shutter and again hit MFn2. Given the 1DX2 high data handling capability it should be possible to have a burst instantly reviewable without that extra shutter press.

It also bugs me that when the camera is OFF and I'm dealing with cards in the computer that I'll find the camera has switched to #1 CF. Also bugs me that CF is default #1. Why make #1, the choice that gives you reduced capability of the camera!!?

And unlike some, I have emailed Canon specifically requesting these two things. But is there any hope they listen? ;)

Otherwise I'm like the rest of you wishing the obvious missing features would be added, especially finger start movie recording on the touchscreen.

Jack

I'm sure I'm missing something here but i go from image to image via the back dial, and zoom via the top dial. If I am at 1x then the top dial jumps me 10 images.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Scott, it's the process of getting there. Yes, shutter dial for zoom and back dial for jumping back through the pictures. I instigate the viewing of the pictures by hitting my programmed MFn2 button that is set for magnify (X1 is my choice).

So, if after shooting a burst and having the last shot appear on the LCD, I hit MFn2, I'm able to zoom but only on that last photo, I can't flip back through the burst. To do that I have to first half press the shutter followed by MFn2 and away I go. Now is that too hard - no but often I forget to half press the shutter and so all I can magnify is the last shot until I repeat the two button press sequence, and that's annoying.

I like the right hand only approach to reviewing photos since my lens is usually a big one requiring my left hand support. The right hand finger is right there at MFn2 and it's so handy.

Perhaps someone can offer an explanation as to why Canon can't just let me zip through photos after doing the magnify button MFn2.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I think I can make the previous shorter. Why when the photo just shot is displaying can't they allow you to use the back wheel to move back through a burst without any other activation. It's not like the back wheel is performing some other function during this time. In times past I'm guessing there was a need for some processing time, but in the speedy 1DX2, surely this isn't an issue.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:

Annoying indeed, Jack. I leave the door open when taking the C-Fast card out of the camera. 2 benefits: the camera doesn't switch to #1 CF and I don't forget to put the card back in the camera ;-).

Mario

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Mario.
I was about to write almost the same response, that is how I deal with the same issue on the 7DII.
The scrolling thing is the same on all the bodies I have, and sometimes catches me out. Before they fix that though I would like the third GPS off option as available on more recent bodies, far more important in my requirements, flat batteries are such a pain!

Cheers, Graham.

Mario said:
Jack Douglas said:

Annoying indeed, Jack. I leave the door open when taking the C-Fast card out of the camera. 2 benefits: the camera doesn't switch to #1 CF and I don't forget to put the card back in the camera ;-).

Mario

Upvote 0
Viggo said:
Hi!

Anyone heard anything?

From Canon sadly "YES" it seems firmware updates are too much to ask.

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Jack Douglas said:

We've talked about this before. I have the same annoyance. How do you get ahold of Canon, Jack?

Upvote 0