More Mentions of EF-M Prime Lenses [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>We’re told again that two new EF-M prime lenses will appear in the first quarter of of 2016.</p>
<ul>
<li>EF-M 15mm f/2 STM</li>
<li>EF-M 35mm f/1.8 STM</li>
</ul>
<p>While we’ve been told by multiple people that the EF-M 35mm f/1.8 STM was coming, this is the first mention of an EF-M 15mm f/2 STM. </p>
<p>We speculate that we’ll see a macro for the EOS M system sooner than later. </p>

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
A 15mm EF-M = a 24mm prime in FF. Lovely, but who the hell was asking for this?

EOS-M has an ultrawide zoom and an adjacent wide prime with the 22mm f/2. Surely a native sized portrait lens or macro lens was a bigger need for the platform, right?

And why does EOS-M go with faster max aperture small primes without IS, while EF gets slower max aperture primes with IS? Everything about this seems inconsistent.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
longtallkarl said:
ahsanford said:

i was! (in my mind at least... didn't actually mention it to anyone.) but i'm very pleased about this rumor! i'd much prefer a fast 15mm than the slow uw zoom in this range.

-k

Fascinatingly enough. Nikon refreshed it's wider mid-level FF primes recently, and unlike Canon's 24 2.8 / 28 2.8 / 35 2.0 with IS, they opted for f/1.8 lenses without IS.

EF-M would appear to be doing the same: the prime lineup would now be EF-M 15 f/1.8, 22 f/2, 35 f/1.8.

I personally prefer the IS USM goodness of Canon's refreshes, but yes, I wish my 28mm f/2.8 IS USM was f/2 like the 35mm is.

- A

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
More EF-M lenses is good news. But i'm not going to buy a 15 or 35 prime. Happy with 11-22 and 22/2.
i would buy a portrait tele prime WITH IS - eg a EF-M 80/2.0 or even 2.8 IS STM - provided it has good IQ, compact size and reasonable price. EF-M Macro? not interested at all, EF-S 60/2.8 Macro via adapter is fine with me.

Urgently wanted: fully competitive, kick ass EOS M4.

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
BRunner said:
Canon Rumors said:
EF-M 15mm f/2 STM
EF-M 35mm f/1.8 STM

Yess pleasse! And EF-M 60mm f/2 STM 1:2 Macro later....

umm that'd be freaking huge.

it would be larger and heavier than the 60mm EF-S macro and 1:2? ew.
Not necessarily if they opt for 1:2 magnification and IF. Shorter register distance can make some difference too. I think, that it can be same length but thinner, even with IS.
If you look at EF-S 2.8/60 diagram, the optics isn't that bulky.

ef386-lens-construction.gif

If they can make it from lightweight materials, it would be fine for universal portraiture/macro lens.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
brad-man said:
Since they didn't include IS, hopefully they will be of the pancake variety with size/performance of the wonderful 22mm. If they follow up with a quick 60, the M would have its own little trinity :)

It's own little plastic STM trinity you mean.

Stubbornly, as a stills guy, I want better built, internally focusing USM lenses for this platform.

I'm glad for EOS-M folks to get these lenses -- and I'm sure they'll work well. But these announcements do not inspire me to pull my credit card out.

- A

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
ahsanford said:
brad-man said:
Since they didn't include IS, hopefully they will be of the pancake variety with size/performance of the wonderful 22mm. If they follow up with a quick 60, the M would have its own little trinity :)

Stubbornly, as a stills guy, I want better built, internally focusing USM lenses for this platform.

I'm glad for EOS-M folks to get these lenses -- and I'm sure they'll work well. But these announcements do not inspire me to pull my credit card out.

- A

Patience grasshopper. I suspect that most folks that use the M are also stills shooters. If those stills don't include moving things, the M is a fine little image capturer. You want (and so do I) an enthusiast camera capable of shooting action, and I am reasonably confident that Canon will eventually oblige you. By then though, you may not need a credit card, a retinal scan should suffice ;)

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
longtallkarl said:
ahsanford said:

i was! (in my mind at least... didn't actually mention it to anyone.) but i'm very pleased about this rumor! i'd much prefer a fast 15mm than the slow uw zoom in this range.

-k

+1

If the price is affordable (like the other EF-M lenses so far) I think I'll be all over this one. Primes work well on the M because leads to such a compact system. I like it!

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Gnocchi said:
How about some efs primes canon..

Apparently the EOS-M is for the true enthusiasts who love primes, and EF-S is for slow zooms for soccer moms and hockey dads.

I kid.

EF-S people have every right to feel abandoned here. Other than macro or pancakes, EF-S doesn't get primes, apparently. At least not from Canon...

- A

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
ahsanford said:

I find, the current EF-M lenses have surprisingly good build quality. If future primes are built like the 22/2.0 - i.e. metal mount and "metallic" shell with very tight and nice build - it would be totally unwarranted to call them "plastic trinity". I am hoping for EF-Mini Size, Mini price prime lens set ... including a super compact EF-M 80/2.4 STM IS, optically on par with 22/2. :)

STM AF drive is actually better suited to mirrorless hybrid-AF systems than USM, whereas Ring-USM AF drive is better for stills photography with mirrorslapper phase-AF and big, fat lenses with massive glass elements to be moved.

Personally, I'd much prefer EF-M lenses with AF only - without focus ring and no manual focus gear. Savings in production cost to be applied towards full weather-sealing. 8)
In conjunction, upcoming EOS M4 should also be fully weathersealed. After all, EOS M is my ultra-lite outdoor/alpine mountaineering/backcountry skiing gear. :)

Upvote 0