New EOS M Camera Coming in February [CR3]

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
rrcphoto said:
docsmith said:
eosuser1234 said:
Saw this in a dream. M4= 4K recording, M5 without digital EVF crammed into eos m3 body. $650-$700 MSRP
Available in Camo for birders.

That is close to what I thought was going to happen, with the exception that I did not think 4K video would make it to the M line this soon. But I, hopefully, thought this rumor might be an M5 crammed into an M3 form factor. Basically an M5 with no built in EVF.

But, it is too soon for that. Canon will let the M5 have its day (year?). Also, up in the thread they mention this is coming in 2 colors. That screams M10 replacement.

the M3 came in two colors, the M10 came in three, the M2 came in like 5-6 of them I recall.

also they released the G5 soon after the G3 and the G7 ..

Ok...well, I am hoping for an M5 features (mostly the sensor and Digic 7) in an M3 form factor. The M3 is older than the M10, but I would think they would let the M5 stand alone with those features for a little while, so we will see.

On another note, which bags/backpacks do people like for mirrorless systems? I have the M3, 18-55, 11-22, 28 macro and 22 f/2.

Upvote 0
While I like the 15-45 range better, it doesn't match the performance of the EF-M 18-55. The 15-45 is a bit on the soft side and barely becomes decently sharp stopped down and post-processed. You have to work very hard to get sharpness out of it.

As said, I REALLY want a high grade 35 f2 (50 equiv) EF-M lens.. please Canon is it really that hard.. and maybe an update to the 22/2. Mostly fantastic, but a bit too much CA. Make it more functional Canon... put a grip so I can manually focus if I want to zone focus for the street. Wishful thinking.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
docsmith said:
rrcphoto said:
docsmith said:
eosuser1234 said:
Saw this in a dream. M4= 4K recording, M5 without digital EVF crammed into eos m3 body. $650-$700 MSRP

That is close to what I thought was going to happen, with the exception that I did not think 4K video would make it to the M line this soon. But I, hopefully, thought this rumor might be an M5 crammed into an M3 form factor. Basically an M5 with no built in EVF.

But, it is too soon for that. Canon will let the M5 have its day (year?). Also, up in the thread they mention this is coming in 2 colors. That screams M10 replacement.

the M3 came in two colors, the M10 came in three, the M2 came in like 5-6 of them I recall.

Ok...well, I am hoping for an M5 features (mostly the sensor and Digic 7) in an M3 form factor. The M3 is older than the M10, but I would think they would let the M5 stand alone with those features for a little while, so we will see.

On another note, which bags/backpacks do people like for mirrorless systems? I have the M3, 18-55, 11-22, 28 macro and 22 f/2.

Why not a dumbed down M5?

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
docsmith said:
rrcphoto said:
docsmith said:
eosuser1234 said:

well basically they gave that treatment to the G9X soon after the G7X mark II.. so here's hoping.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
mangobutter said:
While I like the 15-45 range better, it doesn't match the performance of the EF-M 18-55. The 15-45 is a bit on the soft side and barely becomes decently sharp stopped down and post-processed. You have to work very hard to get sharpness out of it.

well it's not as if they are forcing you to purchase the 15-45 ;)

the discontinuing is a rumor. and odds are it's just a kit preference, not a lens discontinuing.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
slclick said:
docsmith said:

What feature would be lost to dumb it down?

To me, the primary thing that is superfluous is the EVF. My current M3 is my secondary camera that I have for its smaller size and lower weight while still having an optional EVF when I want one. But I am shooting the M3 with just the LCD most of the time. So, what I want are the Digic 7 (faster processing/focusing), DPAF (faster focusing), 7-9 fps (not critical, but why not?) from the M5 in the M3 form factor (size/weight).

May seem odd, as they are both smaller than a full frame body. But the M3 is already pushing the size I would like and I hardly ever use the EVF.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
docsmith said:
slclick said:
docsmith said:

To me, the primary thing that is superfluous is the EVF. My current M3 is my secondary camera that I have for its smaller size and lower weight while still having an optional EVF when I want one. But I am shooting the M3 with just the LCD most of the time. So, what I want are the Digic 7 (faster processing/focusing), DPAF (faster focusing), 7-9 fps (not critical, but why not?) from the M5 in the M3 form factor (size/weight).

May seem odd, as they are both smaller than a full frame body. But the M3 is already pushing the size I would like and I hardly ever use the EVF.

For me, the reason I sold the M series was because I didn't want to look at an lcd screen to focus. I didn't want a PnS experience. So I think the EVF is a priority, dumbing down could be sensor tech and swivel screen loss. No more tiny ILC's for me. You smaller handed folk's mileage may vary.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
AvTvM said:
EVF is #1 key feature for me.
Which is great and I totally get. I am actually very happy that the M5 was released.

For me, having the EVF as an option for when I want it is important. But, as the 5DIII is my primary body that I use the VAST majority of time, I will go to the M when I still want at least APS-C sensor quality in an ILC system. That is typically when I want small size, lower weight, or want to be less conspicuous.

So, size and weight are the key features for me.

But, this is why I am hoping that they have both the M5 and a more capable M3 replacement.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
docsmith said:
slclick said:
docsmith said:

totally agree. I have the EVF as a matter of fact, i have two of them. I hardly ever find the need for them. when i do use the EVF I use it articulated.

See my problem with the M5?;)

canon's back LCD screens are just that good for most use cases.

I want basically what you listed there, plus much faster AEB.

Upvote 0