Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<strong>Really?</strong>

I was talking with a regular source and all indications he’s receiving is that there will be no 1Ds Mark IV or replacement of the 1Ds Mark III in 2011.</p>
<p>There is going to be a very big departure in the high end from Canon.</p>
<p><strong>CR’s Take</strong>

The 5D Mark II took from the 1Ds3 market in a lot of cases (not all). A replacement of the 5D Mark II would do the same if they kept the status quo for a 1Ds4 upgrade.</p>
<p>I hope to hear more soon.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong>

If you extrapolate the increases in processing power for each Digic generation, dual Digic V processors should be capable of coping with a 24MP sensor at 10fps (assuming there are no other issues preventing this). In theory, this could allow Canon to combine the 1D and 1Ds lines into a single model that is both high resolution and high speed; the pixel density would be slightly lower than the current 1D Mk4. Given recent improvements in read-out noise levels, demonstrated by what Nikon and Pentax have done with the 16MP Sony APS-C sensor, it should be possible to achieve very adequate (if not quite D3s) levels of noise on a Full Frame sensor.

I'm not saying that this is likely, Canon will be loathed to allow Sony/Nikon to gain the resolution high ground (assuming the rumours of a >30MP Sony Full Frame sensor in the pipeline are true), I'm just suggesting what is possible. Of course, there is always the possibility that a breakthrough technology is what is causing the delayed release dates... Then anything is possible.

What all this would mean for a 5D MkIII is further baseless speculation. Rumours, don't we all love them!

Upvote 0
c.d.embrey said:
A 16 megapixel D800 will be awesome, Seems like Nikon has been listening to Canon owners.

If you put the pixels from a 1D4 onto a FF-Sensor you'd end up with a ~30MP(give me a weaker AA-Filter instead of that extra 20% pixelcount :) ) camera that comes with really nice high ISO and considering moore's law enough power to keep the 10fps. Wouldn't be to bad for a high end.

OTOH if one thinks of focal plane phase detection AF - no more blackout and associated delay times or AF adjustments, no limiting mechanics. Crop down to APS-H or use enough readout channels/good binning patterns - 60fps at 4k resolution or 120fps at HD while retaining full AF would be imaginable.
Just a pipe dream, but it would make the 1D(s) split obsolete. :)

Upvote 0
Gothmoth said:
now what "departure" means?

I believe this means no 1D-1Ds combo anymore.

The 1DV will be a 24-30mp full frame camera capable of 8-10fps.
With these specs, it will be an update to both the 1DsIII and 1DIV.
It will have to be priced below $6K because of the upcoming Nikon D4.

Canon will still have an $8-10K studio camera with very high resolution (50mp) and likely 4K video.
This studio/hybrid camera, however, will not be a 1DV with just a different sensor (the 1D-1Ds fomula will not work well in the era of high-resolution/high-speed bodies).

Previous rumors suggested a modular camera, which is very likely.
Something like the RED maybe. Or maybe a medium format type of body.

We shall see.

Upvote 0
x-vision said:
Gothmoth said:
now what "departure" means?

I believe this means no 1D-1Ds combo anymore.

The 1DV will be a 24-30mp full frame camera capable of 8-10fps.
With these specs, it will be an update to both the 1DsIII and 1DIV.
It will have to be priced below $6K because of the upcoming Nikon D4.

Canon will still have an $8-10K studio camera with very high resolution (50mp) and likely 4K video.
This studio/hybrid camera, however, will not be a 1DV with just a different sensor (the 1D-1Ds fomula will not work well in the era of high-resolution/high-speed bodies).

Previous rumors suggested a modular camera, which is very likely.
Something like the RED maybe. Or maybe a medium format type of body.

We shall see.

I agree. The strategy of putting different sensors in the same body, and charging several thousand more will not work anymore. More tangible improvements are needed - e.g., modular body, larger sensor (square?), 4K video (or RAW, although I don't think we will see this in the next iteration and/or in a full frame package).

These of course would be in addition to the expected superb high ISO performance :p

Upvote 0
H

hsmeets

No 1DsIV in 2011 could well mark the end of an short lived era of quick/fast updates and improvements we quickly got used to. Maybe Canon needs more time to earn back the investment (given current ecomic climate) on the mkIII and maybe also thinks that a next generation is not compelling enough that people will upgrade because of the offering but will only upgrade if their current camera has reached it's economic/physical end-of-life.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
c.d.embrey said:
Seems like Nikon has been listening to Canon owners.

Hmmmm...ok, then maybe the converse is true. What have Nikon owners been asking for that Nikon isn't giving them?

Megapixels? A naming/numbering scheme that makes sense?

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
bvukich said:
A naming/numbering scheme that makes sense?

;D so true ... not that it's a reason to stay away from nikons, but it's a silly thing to have such a convoluted and undecipherable product numbering system

we can add to that list video implementation. cheaper lenses. AF across all bodies and lenses, none of this screw-driven BS. and form factors that don't look like they were created by someone with with a major gundam fetish.

but in general ... I do have to say nikons definitely look nicer on paper (and with the new sensor in the D7000 they look better printed too I'd think). that said, I don't rely on my camera for a living (thankfully) so I'm perfectly happy with what I've got

Upvote 0
bvukich said:
Megapixels?
The Nikon D3x is 24 megapixel, Canon 1Ds lll is 21 megapixel.

A naming/numbering scheme that makes sense?

What's so hard to understand?

D3s = 1D lV Pro Body sports camera

D3x = 1DS lV Pro Body studio camera

D700 = 5D ll Full frame Small Body

D300 = 7D Crop Frame Small Body

D7000 = 60D Consumer Camera

Most contributors to Canon Forums keep asking for better low light capability, not more megapixels. Which is why I said that Nikon is paying attention to Canon users, and is delivering what they want!

Upvote 0
c.d.embrey said:
Most contributors to Canon Forums keep asking for better low light capability, not more megapixels.
Which is why I said that Nikon is paying attention to Canon users, and is delivering what they want!

Grass seems to be always greener on the other side, however Canon and Nikon are not that far apart on high ISO performance - Nikon has an edge of about 2/3 - 1 stop (FX), especially when pixel peeping at 100% (or more) on a PC screen. When printing images at the same size, any perceived advantages become minimal to non-existent.

(is this considered stirring the bees' nest? :p)

Upvote 0
B

Bob Howland

niko said:
c.d.embrey said:
Most contributors to Canon Forums keep asking for better low light capability, not more megapixels.
Which is why I said that Nikon is paying attention to Canon users, and is delivering what they want!

Grass seems to be always greener on the other side, however Canon and Nikon are not that far apart on high ISO performance - Nikon has an edge of about 2/3 - 1 stop (FX), especially when pixel peeping at 100% (or more) on a PC screen. When printing images at the same size, any perceived advantages become minimal to non-existent.

Is that true even at ISO51,200? Which brings up the question, what FF Canon does ISO51,200? The 1DMk4 is a joke at that ISO and an even more pathetic joke at ISO102K

Upvote 0
Bob Howland said:
niko said:
c.d.embrey said:

Is that true even at ISO51,200? Which brings up the question, what FF Canon does ISO51,200? The 1DMk4 is a joke at that ISO and an even more pathetic joke at ISO102K

The highest ISO that Canon offers in FF is 25600 which is in line with Nikon's 51200 (ergo the ~1 stop Nikon advantage), although I would put any ISO over Nikon D3s 12800 in the pathetic (or very close to) category.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.