R5 Release Price. Just for fun.

$3599 Retail, $2999 grey market quickly falling to $2600

For the UK market Canon was selling bulk to retail distributors between £2000-£2200 depending on the quantity they took. I picked up a 5D4 for £2400 as I know someone who knows someone in the trade. So Canon will make a wide margin in the European market anyway.

Please don't get my knowledge of the industry at the time the 5D4 was out as any guide to what is happening in the market now, the US price is just a guestimate based on what I've seen over the years.

Personally, if Canon wanted to clean the floor with the competitors they'd be selling at $2995 per unit and to a certain extent this could be a viable move as their main competition is the A7iii, iv and riv. Not the A9.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I think this may be cheaper than most people are thinking, somewhere under $3500. Keep in mind mirrorless bodies are cheaper to manufacture than DSLRs. So comparing this to the price of the 5D4 when it first came out is not quite an apples to apples comparison.

Could Canon still go ahead and release it at a comparable price to a 5D DSLR and have no one bat an eye? Sure. But I suspect they will be trying to pull as many people into the RF ecosystem as possible. It's much better to get people into this camera and sell them RF lenses and future bodies for decades to come than it is to try to profit that much on this camera specifically.

It ultimately depends how aggressive they want to try to be. But I don't think there's any way, with how much pressure they're facing to make the RF system a success, that it comes in over $3500, even with what it can do. The amazing video specs are the icing on the cake, not the thing that they will use to try to justify making it cost over $3500. And if they really want to send a shot across the bow of Sony, they will undercut the A7IV price. Canon has enough other revenue streams that they could probably price it below $3500 if they wanted to.

Let's also not forget that if the leaks are true, the R5's 45 megapixels is still lower than the Sony A7IV, so for a lot of people, especially those who don't care a lot about the 8K video, the R5 may look a little less intriguing than the Sony. So pricing it over the Sony would be foolish.

I say no higher than $3500, maybe even as low as $3300.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

mkamelg

EOS R6 Mark II
Feb 1, 2015
Poland
www.flickr.com
Could it be possible that the upcoming Canon EOS R5 price is set at €9,999?

Luxembourg based site Photo-Mirgain.lu lists the Canon EOS R5 at exactly this price, €9,999 (approx US$10,829, and for the body only). We think (i.e. we strongly hope) this is either a mistake or just a placeholder price.

What do you think, is this the real Canon EOS R5 price?

A Swedish site also listed the price as around 10000 dollar (99'999 sek). its not visible on the site anymore but the pricing can be seen on "price compairison websites". I really hope its a place holder price otherwise its about 6000 dollars over my budget.

Source: https://www.canonwatch.com/upcoming-canon-eos-r5-price-listed-at-e9999-mistake-or-real/

I found something else on the website of some online Danish photo store.

Canon EOS R5 (ingen officiel pris endnu) 39.999,00 DKK is equal to Canon EOS R5 (no official price yet) 39,999.00 DKK.

So it's still speculation about price, but more real speculation. I have no idea where the Danes took this price, I'm Polish and not Danish.

In Denmark, the VAT rate is 25%. 39999 DKK is about 5800 USD. After deducting 25% VAT (1450 USD) from the price of 5800 USD, we will receive a price of 4350 USD and it could be a real price for this camera on the US market.

I used these tools for my calculations:

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Let's also not forget that if the leaks are true, the R5's 45 megapixels is still lower than the Sony A7IV, so for a lot of people, especially those who don't care a lot about the 8K video, the R5 may look a little less intriguing than the Sony. So pricing it over , the Sony would be foolish.
But how many people are going to be in a position where the price of the camera drives the decision? There aren't going to be a lot of first time buyers at this level, so one question is how the new camera fits with what they have and what are perceived to be the most important features of the cameras. At that price level, I would think that most buyers are looking for the right camera for them, not the least expensive choice.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
But how many people are going to be in a position where the price of the camera drives the decision? There aren't going to be a lot of first time buyers at this level, so one question is how the new camera fits with what they have and what are perceived to be the most important features of the cameras. At that price level, I would think that most buyers are looking for the right camera for them, not the least expensive choice.

My Criteria
1. Stills shooting specs and features
2. Respected Reviews (Byran/Roger)
3. Price
4. Large enough spec chasm over the 5D3 to justify the cost. I want revolution not evolution for this next one. I used my current body for 8 years, I want that same kind of longevity.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Sadly, I won't be considering it for at least a year and a half. But I do have my R to play with (+5D4) in the mean time...
I’ll probably wait also. I’ve always bought the latest and greatest, but only this year upgraded my iPhone SE to an XR, got it for a seriously good deal on Black Friday and it felt really good getting a huge upgrade for the same price I initially bought the SE for, just because I didn’t buy it on release. Perhaps I’ll do the same with cameras, stay at least a generation behind and save some serious cash.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
I’ll probably wait also. I’ve always bought the latest and greatest, but only this year upgraded my iPhone SE to an XR, got it for a seriously good deal on Black Friday and it felt really good getting a huge upgrade for the same price I initially bought the SE for, just because I didn’t buy it on release. Perhaps I’ll do the same with cameras, stay at least a generation behind and save some serious cash.
That's what happened to me this xmas. I had no intention of picking up a R camera. Then Canon offered an R + 24-105L for under $2000. So for that money I got the IQ of the 5DIV with improved static focusing and a tilt screen in a smaller/lighter package and got to see what all the fuss was about concerning the EVF. I am happy with the EVF of my M camera, and love the one in the R. I have no intention of using the R for fast action, so it's all good!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0