Round-up: All of the rumored Canon gear to appear over the last week

Apart from the R5, the 850D (T8i) sounds very interesting, too!

What immediately attracted my attention was the 24MP sensor. I can't imagine that Canon will reuse a multiple-year-old 24MP sensor for a 850D when they've already got a new generation of sensors on the market (32MP 90D).

Historically, the xxD and the xxxD had the same sensor or a very similar sensor in regards of pixel density. So why should Canon now put a sensor with considerably lower pixel density in the 90Ds' little brother?

The answer could be that this 24MP sensor has been produced using the same material, production process and basic design as the 90D sensor. Consequently, due to the 24MP's larger pixels, this should result in noticably lower noise compared to the 90D sensor!

Sounds almost too good to be true for a Rebel Class camera but we will know soon...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
What immediately attracted my attention was the 24MP sensor. I can't imagine that Canon will reuse a multiple-year-old 24MP sensor for a 850D when they've already got a new generation of sensors on the market (32MP 90D).
Because we never saw Canon reuse an APS-C sensor before :ROFLMAO: Cough 18 MP cough

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Historically, the xxD and the xxxD had the same sensor or a very similar sensor in regards of pixel density. So why should Canon now put a sensor with considerably lower pixel density in the 90Ds' little brother?

The answer could be that this 24MP sensor has been produced using the same material, production process and basic design as the 90D sensor. Consequently, due to the 24MP's larger pixels, this should result in noticably lower noise compared to the 90D sensor!

Canon thinks EF is on the way out. Canon is known for reusing parts to save money. In this situation, it would make sense to have both cameras use the exact same sensor so they could keep one manufacturing line going, one spare parts stock, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sounds almost too good to be true for a Rebel Class camera but we will know soon...
Since Nokishita reports 4k with no crop there is the possibility that it is the old 80d sensor but with a new logic circuitry that enables faster redout, i think they already did this with the 1dx mark iii sensor

Upvote 0
It seems Canon abandoned the high MP camera promised for 2020. This might be a a market focused decision: Canon expects to sell more R5s than R5S'.

Critics do not trust these rumors, believing Canon could not make such a long leap in performance. It is clear that we need to wait, first, for the official announcement and, second, for the camera to hit the streets before we can evaluate what Canon has achieved. But if Canon will introduce new sensor tech with the 5R, then past track records have less predictive power than the critics believe. Time will tell.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Unless it's 8K is like the EOS-R 4K. Upconverted from a crop that is much lower than 4K. Canon has no issues with lying.
When did Canon lie? Interesting. Since I sink so much money into their products I'd really like to know, specifically, when Canon lied... or if maybe you didn't understand the specs when you purchased. Or maybe you took a rumor as an official Canon press release? Especially when lying about a product would be a terrible drag on sales after the truth comes out. It is in Canon's best interest to tell the truth, not lie.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

I can't imagine that Canon will reuse a multiple-year-old 24MP sensor for a 850D when they've already got a new generation of sensors on the market (32MP 90D).

Why wouldn't they? Rebels had a recycled 18 MP sensor for numerous refreshes, didn't they?

And what great sensor breakthrough are you counting on? The Rebel already went to on-chip ADC and got its base ISO bump with the 800D. So one would think that they are done with bigger 'gain a stop of DR' sort of upgrades in this product line.

- A

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Unless it's 8K is like the EOS-R 4K. Upconverted from a crop that is much lower than 4K. Canon has no issues with lying.
I think you are wrong. Canon EOS R full image: 6720x4480, diagonal is 8076 "px"; Canon EOS R 4k: 3840x2160; diagonal 4406 "px". Crop=4406:8076 = 1:1.83, as claimed, no up-sampling needed. You must be referring to the disappointment that Canon did not give us 4096 x2160 DCI 4k, only this UHD kind of 4k. /Edit: Fixed: diagonals were swapped/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I hope Canon might consider giving their camera bodies (R5 etc) a Arca-Swiss quick-release set of grooves on the bottom front & back edges? It wouldn't take any appreciable room or add any weight, and then the body could be popped on a tripod or gimbal via industry-standard quick-release! I paid good money to add a ReallyRightStuff arca-swiss compatible adaptor to my EM1m2 bottom (which extends the entire body down by 1/2" ). I'll add the same when I get the R5 as I'll need it, but if Canon added the 2 grooves (basically for free) then we'd all get this ability out of the box and with no extension to the bottom! And their marketing gets one more brilliant new feature to advertise!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
There are still a few missing pieces of information I would like to know in time:
Will we get 10 bit, 4:2:2 internal recording for the video?

Canon just might convince me to upgrade from my EOS R... since I am considering the following two things (during the 6-12 months) as an added extra to my EOS R:
Atomos Ninja V external recorder (to get 10-bit 4:2:2)
Speed booster EF to RF adapter (to reduce that crop)

The new R5 could make these two things obsolete (or at least less necessary)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
There are still a few missing pieces of information I would like to know in time:

There's a spectactular number of unknowns right now. As a stills shooter, I'd like to know:
  • Price, of course
  • Is there some new sensor tech/architecture in there?
  • What bells and whistles no longer work at 12 fps mechanical or 20 fps e-shutter? Is compressed RAW required to hit these burst speeds?
  • Button layout, dials, ergonomics, size of grip, etc.
  • Is there a tilty-flippy?
- A

Upvote 0

BeenThere

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2012
Eastern Shore
There's a spectactular number of unknowns right now. As a stills shooter, I'd like to know:
  • Price, of course
  • Is there some new sensor tech/architecture in there?
  • What bells and whistles no longer work at 12 fps mechanical or 20 fps e-shutter? Is compressed RAW required to hit these burst speeds?
  • Button layout, dials, ergonomics, size of grip, etc.
  • Is there a tilty-flippy?
- A
Add: EVF refresh rate and density

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
None of the cameras that shoot high speed video beyond 2x record audio natively. Not sure if its limitation of audio sampling rate or DSP or somewhere else but its a commom limitation.
Most likely because it would sound really weird played back at 1/2 or 1/4 speed :).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0