Some help needed - 1dx mkII or 5dMkIV

Dec 8, 2014
Hello

I am going to buy a new camera and my question is...wich one to buy! It is a really good doubt to have between these 2 amaizng bodys, but i really have it!

So the thing is...i am a wildlife photographer, and i also make nature documentaries in video although the main jobs are in photography. At this moment i have a 5d markIII and a 7d markII. For photography the 5d markIII i love it, but 7dmkII never liked, i didn´t fit with the camera (not going to explain, that´s another subject of discussion). But for video, 5dmkIII not good, never liked the 1080HD look and 7D is better in focusing andd overall image.

So, i am going to have big jobs on hand for 2017, either in photography and video, and it´s imperative to improve my video image quality.

Here are my doubts:

- Everybody nows that 1dxmkII is a beast, and of course it is also my first choice. But......Choosing 1dxmkII (cons):

- i will loose all the batteries i have LPE6 (5 at total) and need to replace for at least one of the expensive 1Dx bateries...and even so i will have less "power" storage
- I will have to replace all my SD cards (4 32GB at total) and need to buy at least 2 Cfast cards. However still can use the CF cards i have.

So in 1dx mkII choice i will have more expensive problems to deal, not only the more expensive body...

The pros in getting that body are in a good number.

Then, the 5dMKIV got out and mixed my thoughts.....

- If i choose 1dX mkII, in photo matters, all my problems are solved! :)
- If i choose 5d4, i will continue with the problems of buffer limitation and limited FPS witch is not really good.

For video is where i need the big help:

- The differences between 5d4 and 1dx2 are no enormous, in fact, seems to me that are pretty the same in overall image quality...but there are some differences:

- crop factor in 4k is not the same, is bigger in 5d4
- 4k60fps wich i reaaally want for nature docs....
- 1080HD for 120FPS wich is reaallyy good for nature docs (and other videos)

in 5d4 i only get:

- 4k 30fps
-720HD 120FPS

But i do get:
- HDR video feature.

SO.....the big question is....Does it really justify the difference of price regarding to video choices, buying the 1dx2? I know in some way i realy answered to that by telling that i want 60fps 4k and 1080HD 120fps.....But could you give me some of your thoughts regarding to this cameras? Especially if you do have experience with one of them (5d4 would be more dificult, but she´s out there!!! :D )

Thanks in advance

If you want to use video in combination with stills, it get unpractical with the 5d4 as there is a crop factor approx 1,7 which means you get different perspectives. And of course you get the 4k60 with less rolling shutter. if still is the top priority I guess 5d4 will do. Personally I have the 1dx2 and sony A7r2, which is the best of two worlds.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Go Wild said:
SO.....the big question is....Does it really justify the difference of price regarding to video choices, buying the 1dx2? I know in some way i realy answered to that by telling that i want 60fps 4k and 1080HD 120fps.....But could you give me some of your thoughts regarding to this cameras? Especially if you do have experience with one of them (5d4 would be more dificult, but she´s out there!!! :D )

Thanks in advance

There is no question in your situation the 1DX MkII is the more appropriate camera, none, stop pontificating and get it.

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2014
Thank you guys so much in your nice helps.

Indeed, that´s my thought, i think 1dx markII is the way, i think i was just trying to get a more "less expensive" alternative, but of course...there´s a price to pay for that...

I never own a 1D series, my first digital camera was a eos 350D, then a 40D (two of them), then 5d markII, and then 5d markIII. I do love 5d series, they gave me awesome pictures during last 6 years, like chauncey got with the 1Ds3. But i do recognize that 1D series are a new world (and expensive too...). And yes, it´s not about camera stills capability only....for that, my 5d markIII is just awesome!! It has lots of problems like buffer and very limited FPS, but that didn´t limited me for my work in years!! I put you an example of a photo taken by my 5d markIII and 500 F4IS L II below.
But the problem here is that i really need the best of 2 worlds in a camera....video and stiils. Or in other way....if not the best of the 2 world....really close to it. I got my mind on the 1dX2, but i really liked somethings on the 5d4....So i began to doubt because yes....the money thing is a issue, i am not a rich guy...!

Well, i think i need to get back to the rail here and just put in my mind that there are no such thing as free meals, and if i do want the specs, i must purchase the 1dx2 for the best of stills and video....

14224796_1780335592248810_7760855792992052555_n_zpsqrrs7w2v.jpg

Upvote 0
chauncey said:
That, my friend, is a nice shot.

cpsico said:
Love the picture!! If the 1dx Mark II has the same menu system as the 5d IV there is a bit of a learning curve. I need to test it much more still but it's a good camera. My 1ds III is much more familiar to me, so I am still biased towards it. But more than anything I love the ergonomics of the bigger camera.

Thank you very much both! I know that I will need a time to learn and to get familiar wiht 1dx2, but i think i do it with pleasure!! :D :D :D

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
First of all, that's an incredible shot and makes me think I have no business giving any advice, but I will share my experience. Keep in mind that I don't do video, so these comments apply only to the stills functionality.

I bought the 1DX II in June. I rationalized/justified it because I shoot a lot of sports under a contract with a small college. For a year, I have been using a 7DII which I bought because I found the 5DIII too slow for sports.

The cons first:

The 1DX II burns through batteries. Some of this, I am sure, is caused by the 14 fps and huge buffer. I find it is nothing to shoot 1,200-2,000 frames or more during a game. I bought one spare battery, but I've about decided to pick up a third battery. No way would I use this camera with just one battery.

It also burns through memory cards. I have two 64GB C-Fast cards and really need to buy another when the budget permits. The memory card issue isn't as critical as there doesn't seem to be a huge performance drop between C-Fast and Compact Flash. I don't shoot video, so there may be a bigger difference with video.

So, at a minimum, you need to budget for at least one extra battery and one extra C-Fast card. Unfortunately, with the 5DIV using only Compact Flash, I am afraid that the price of C-Fast is unlikely to drop much in the near future. I had hoped that the 5D IV would use C-Fast and thus help increase demand and drive down costs. Obviously, that's not going to happen.

Silent shutter is pretty much a joke on the 1D X II. It's fine for most situations, but if you need to shoot a quiet event indoors, you will feel like your camera is super loud. I've found the low-speed silent mode to be best. I hate the way the single-shot silent mode pops the mirror up and then leaves it in place until you release the shutter button. In my opinion, that only makes the shutter noise more distracting. If I shot weddings, I'd probably pick the 5D IV over the 1D X II on the basis of the silent shutter alone.

Poor touch screen implementation. I find it really annoying that Canon put a touch screen into the 1DX II and then limited its use to video. This is somewhat compensated for by the customize-able "Q" screen, but only partially. A fully functioning touch screen should have been included and I hope Canon will add this through firmware at some point, since the camera hardware is obviously capable of offering touch screen functionality.

Those C-Fast cards get really hot! Not necessarily bad or good, just an observation. If you forget to take one out of the card reader you will be amazed at how hot it gets. I don't know if it is anything to worry about, but I keep thinking all that heat can't be good.

It's big and weighs a lot. It's no heavier than the gripped 5DIII, but you don't have the option to take the grip off.

Autofocus is not perfect and there are still many sports situations where just using a single point is more accurate, but my keeper rate has definitely gone up even over the 7DII and because I can comfortably shoot at least one stop higher ISO, it's easier to stop action and nail focus.

On the plus side, I pretty much love the quality, build and images coming out of the 1D X II. If I had to go back to the 5D, I would have have a very hard time doing so. After shooting with the 1DX II at 14 fps, the 7D II feels really show at 10 fps. I can't imagine what it would feel like going back to the 5D.

Yes, it is really expensive, but here is my rationalization. I looked up the Canon Price Watch charts and noticed that the 1DX held its value longer and did not drop in price nearly as much as the 5D III. I knew I wanted to get it before the fall sports season began, so felt like I would not pay nearly as large of a early-adopter penalty. More important for me was how to pay for it. I was able to access a one-year interest-free offer from the retailer. So, from a business perspective, I get to have access to someone else's money for a year, while I pay it off gradually, instead of depleting my cash reserves.

Mostly, I wanted to let you know about the downsides. They are far, far outweighed by the positives, but I think it is important to go into a purchase like this with your eyes wide open.

Upvote 0

ed35

CR Pro
May 3, 2016
i have the 5diii, the 5ds and the 1dmark ii. I echo everything Unfocused just posted. I have been really impressed with the speed and accuracy of its autofocus in all sorts of light. The speed of the cfast is awesome. I do mostly wildlife and some landscape work with it. I really feel like it was a significant technological step forward. It is a bit heavy and so its not great for a lot of hiking, etc.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
My very humble opinion is to go for the 1DXII and keep your 6DIII/ Stills and video are better. Once you shoot the 1DXII, you will have to own it. The size won't matter after a while. Actually, the !DXII will feel normal, while your 5D will feel tiny.

Best of luck to you.

sek

Upvote 0
My 1DX2 had to go back :( and now I am missing it, I have put on hold to get another or to look elsewhere i.e 5D4, 5DSr and so on, I want detail using long superteles, so starting at 500/4 with teles and more mounted to a good body. So far with small birds I found the 1DX2 just loses out to bodies with greater MP IQ wise as you would expect, BUT ISO performance and the amazing speed of the 1DX2 leaves you with a dilemma, thing is for me here in the UK the light is never the best, so you can have slower FPS with poorer ISO performance and get what you get or slightly less detail and higher usable images from the 1DX2. The only way to avoid cropping is use longer lenses but even then you find the need to crop on tiny birds, perhaps I expect far too much after shooting small birds with the 500/4 at 700mm while they are only a few feet away.
All I know for sure is the AF on the 1DX2 is shockingly fast! And it drives the focus on my 500/4 like a rocket! NEVER hunts just BAM locks straight on! You can use ZONE AF and select a point, wave the camera around and it will stick to that point like glue!
Maybe I can talk myself out of all this pixel peeping rubbish I do with my photos. :S

Upvote 0
AlanF said:
You lay out more than 5000$/£/€ on a camera and then worry about the cost of a spare battery or card?

First of all, thank you everyone for your kind answers. I valuate all your experiences and advices.

But allow me to individualize one comment.

Hello Mr AlanF. I do realize that you are a rich person, and money is no issue for you, regarding the buy you make. Well, for me is not like that. Unfortunatly, I do need to think in all the details when i buy something to make sure i don´t screw up. Yes, and yes! Y i lay out more than 5000€ in a camera yes, i DO care about spending more 200, 300 or 500 euros in batteries or cards!! I do care!! It´just so ridiculous to think that if i have money for the camera i must have other 2000€ euros to splash in accessories! That´s not real life to me and it´s a little bit insulting that you say that to a guy that is counting all the coins to have the dream camera!! Of course it matters to spend extra money in more things, but if you had stopped for 2 minutes to READ the post, you realize that this matter was one of my doubts, and yes, i CAN buy the extra battery and cards, but my doubt was if it was a VALUABLE exchange of cameras between the 1D series and 5D and if that particulary point could represent a extra cost that i wouldn´t have if i sitck with 5D series, considering that i already have the batteries.

Well, but don´t worry, i sell all my bateries LPE6 and with that money i can buy a new one for 1Dx. This is my real life, not the life of someone for him 200 euros is not money!!

So, if you do want to play ironic, please do not bother to answer to this post, i really not interested. For the other users, a big thank for the effort of being REALLY useful and not just loosing time with ironic posts!

Best regards to all!

Upvote 0
May 26, 2012
arthurbikemad said:
My 1DX2 had to go back :( and now I am missing it...

What happened? I also returned my original one but got it replaced (http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=30115.0). The replacement almost has the opposite issue where "non-selected" focus points are barely illuminated. No idea what should level of illumination is "within spec" - faintly illuminated or not at all? Couldn't be bothered exchanging it again so have decided to live with it.

Upvote 0