Upcoming Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 M IS STM Will Have Macro Illumination

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We’re told by a new source that the Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 M IS STM is going to have a macro illumination feature like the <a href="https://bhpho.to/2nD7aho">EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS STM</a>. We can also safely assume that “M” means macro.</p>
<p>When we <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-ef-s-35mm-f2-8-m-is-stm-coming-april-5-2017/">first confirmed this lens</a>, we weren’t 100% sure what the “M” meant in the lens description, but I think it’s safe to say this is legitimate and goes along with what a lot of people have been thinking.</p>
<p>The lens is still slated for an announcement on (or around) April 5, 2017.</p>
<p><em>Thanks for the tip…</em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

I never quite understand the camera companies' obsession with short focal length macros, do that many people do copy stand work? I'm guessing that they are far cheaper to make than the longer (and more generally useful) macros like the excellent EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM. The only reason the macro illumination is needed is because you end up working in the lens' own shadow.

Anyone else prefer to have seen an EF-S 30mm f/1.8?

Upvote 0
traveller said:
I never quite understand the camera companies' obsession with short focal length macros, do that many people do copy stand work? I'm guessing that they are far cheaper to make than the longer (and more generally useful) macros like the excellent EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM. The only reason the macro illumination is needed is because you end up working in the lens' own shadow.

^ ^

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Canon Rumors said:
neuroanatomist said:
Macro illumination...but not a macro lens? :eek:

Im assuming the "M" means macro :p

Except that all prior macro lenses have been designated 'Macro', not just 'M'.

Maybe it is 20% of a macro, or maybe Canon from now on call all 'Macro' lenses as 'M' lenses.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
traveller said:

Food. The compact 1:2 standard FL macro is gold for food -- a 100mm (equiv) is too long to shoot food right at the restaurant table without it being a comical closeup. I could see this being a hit with the instagram travel/foodie types, food bloggers, recipe websites, etc.

Also, the crafting / sell from home crowd (think Etsy, Ebay, etc.) would love something easy to shoot their products with.

- A

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
neuroanatomist said:
Canon Rumors said:
neuroanatomist said:
Macro illumination...but not a macro lens? :eek:

Im assuming the "M" means macro :p

Except that all prior macro lenses have been designated 'Macro', not just 'M'.

I assume M is for the light so it may be an EF-S 35mm 2.8 Macro M?

Upvote 0
When I saw the EF-M macro-with-light lens, I went and bought it before I even owned an M series camera. There is significant demand for this. I take my M5 and that lens out on hikes as my lens for both macro and snaps among the hiking party. My real camera has the 100-400 on it, and I needn't worry about lens changes.

It's a very nice system, but I have to say - as much as I like the M5 and am impressed by some novel features, like its focus point selection methods - I'd much rather have this capability on an EF or EF-S mount. The M system stutters sometimes in speed, which is jarring. If it weren't for that, I'm sure I'd keep it. Next generation maybe.

I think I might sell my M camera and lenses and get this, presuming it's of similar quality. I'll stick it on the 7D2.

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
traveller said:

Food. The compact 1:2 standard FL macro is gold for food -- a 100mm (equiv) is too long to shoot food right at the restaurant table without it being a comical closeup. I could see this being a hit with the instagram travel/foodie types, food bloggers, recipe websites, etc.

Also, the crafting / sell from home crowd (think Etsy, Ebay, etc.) would love something easy to shoot their products with.

- A

I agree. I used to use the 85L with an extension tube for food shots, but even that was too long sometimes. For all the sniping on these forums, this could be a popular lens with people wanting to do that sort of thing. 0.5x is more than enough, even if it's not really 'macro'.

I did (amongst others) call this. It is the most logical thing, and although someone pointed out that macros at 35mm are fairly distant, thus rendering lens-based illumination less useful, modern tiny LEDs such as those used in phones are pretty good, and it could still work for food photography at moderate distance, etc. No use for me, but cool enough.

Upvote 0